UnevenEdge

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

BUU8800

3 hours ago, Fawlstout said:

Project A-ko

You forgot to mention the episode number.  You can always use the edit button to add it in if you want.

Edit:  Once you make more posts that is.  It's been so long since I was a new member I forgot a new member

couldn't edit their posts right away.

Edited by blueraven1999
  • Confused 1

Good Luck Girl! 11/12
Laid-Back Camp S2E2-E7
Spy×Family 7/8
Interviews with Monster Girls 2/3
The Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls 13
Last Period: the journey to the end of the despair 1
takt op. Destiny 6

Megastack! Of course, there's one show in particular that stands out... and I ain't talking about the one with Shiori Izawa.

The Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls Episode 13: "It's about time to become Cinderella girls!"

Spoiler

The day of the great big 346 Pro Summer Idol Fest has come! The concert's out in a big field somewhere and lots of rowdy w00ks are going to be in attendance. It includes seemingly every idol 346pro has, including the ones that don't get the spotlight. But the plot's about the Cinderella Project girls, because why wouldn't it be? Everyone's so excited to be getting their shot... well, everyone save Chieri, who's very anxious and afraid something she does will make the concert go wrong. And go wrong it does, but it's not her fault: Minami collapses from anxiety of her own. With a high fever, she can't sing no mo, and for the first time in this series, it feels like there's actual tension. She grimaces and contorts her face, with the animation expressing her anguish well. I also love the little detail where part of her hair slinks down from the top. And then, sure enough, Ranko comes in and offers to temporarily sub in as Anya's partner. Coolio! A training montage follows, and then Minami gets some last bartering in before Ranko takes the stage. The new weirdo Love Laika subsequently performs and does well. And then the rain starts falling, and it's followed by a giant lightning bolt. And that's when, things get knocked into 12th gear.

Now this is where Crunchyroll's description of the episode goes wrong: no, the rest of the show isn't cancelled. They just opt to focus on NG and the final group performance. Candy Island and Dekoration's songs get reduced to a single frame each, with some panning and music overlaid, while Asterisk gets a few seconds' worth of animation that isn't even during their song. And you know what? It's all good. The climactic scene, featuring the Cinderella Project's song "GOIN!!", is filled with decent animation, but mostly w00ks flouting their glowsticks and chanting to the beat. There wasn't a full house due to the thunderstorm, but all of the girls feel happy to finally get their yah-yahs out in front of a big crowd. And then--

☢ CAUTION!! ☢ BEST CHARACTER IN THE SERIES ALERT ☢

two randos come walking by. One of them is named Karen, and she went to Rin's middle school. But who's the other chick? And then we get a shot of a woman executive seeing all the girls performing on her laptop, which she closes. Looks like she isn't a fan. The episode ends with the idols spouting platitudes about how great the performance was, and that's it. We're done with Cinderella Girls! Totally nothing left to watch, right? I mean, it's not like they're gonna--

...wait a minute, really? Episode 14? Hot dog. Except not really: this show had a three-month gap between seasons, despite originally having planned to air its two cours in one go. Apparently this was out of concern that it might start looking even worse. Gotta love me an A-1 Steak Sauce Pictures show. What were they even working on at the time? Looks like Saekano, GATE, the third season of Working!, and maybe prep on that show where Funimation made a joke about the scene depicting domestic abuse. Ah, god bless that company's soul. Now, the good thing about these posts is that I will not be taking a three-month break. So find out in, like, two weeks or so to see who this mysterious brown-haired girl with the bun is. That's going to be what the entire "second season" is about, folks.

Random thoughts:

• CG funny image, yadda yadda: Aged-up idols are justice. (Original source is in here.)
  • I've been watching so much Laid-Back Camp that I'm starting to feel like Chiaki is Sayuri Hara's best-known role. Felt weird whenever Mio talked here.
  • On the topic of characters named Minami: this one, sadly, is not able to get drunk. But while Laid-Back Camp's Minami is pretty good (boozy lady teacher girl! What an archetype), I find myself being fond of the Minami also known as the Songstress. One night I was up at 3:00 a.m. browsing Danbooru on my phone and found some KanColle art (woah! That still exists?) that was a blatant reference to the show. And nobody had even created the necessary tags yet, so I decided to clean up. Who knows how long it would've taken had I not intervened, but I like doing that work. Come on, ComicFesta S2! I'll definitely whack it to ya this time.
  • Not that breaking down boxes that the produce came in (and throwing 'em in the compactor) is any worse. You don't know from fun.
  • Lotsa voiced idol cameos in this one, albeit only from the major idols we saw, like the group from Episode 3 and KYBD, plus Syoko. But she didn't get to do anything cool passionate and/or metallic.
  • Why's Chieri talking about frogs? I mean, yeah, there's an obvious joke here, but I've already referenced the franchise once, so I'm not going to make it. I need more subtlety in these posts, which is also why there isn't a Phish reference this time.
  • Seeing the idol calls amidst the action hits different knowing that, even though lives are going on right now, you can't actually vocalize due to COVID-19 concerns. How ironic, given that whenever the big foreign rock bands come to down, the audiences they get are legendary for being superbly quiet.
  • Rated TV-PG.

Music review:

• "GOIN'!!!": More like "Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad". Good song. The Deresute chart has a high difficulty level but fewer notes than normal, which makes it clutch for certain events.

Interviews with Monster Girls 3/4 (rewatch)
Touhou Musou Kakyou: A Summer Day's Dream 2.5
Last Period: the journey to the end of the despair 2 (rewatch)
Spy×Family 9
takt op. Destiny 7

And there we go. I'm caught up on everything now. Time for more Last Period, and I'm about to rewatch probably its most notable episode from a meta perspective. Hopefully it stems the tide of me not getting much enjoyment out of it.

[the ed goes hard, though]