UnevenEdge

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

BUU8800

Laid-Back Camp S1E1-7 (rewatch)
Cowboy Bebop 22 (rewatch)
My Dress-Up Darling 2-5

The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls Episode 8: "I want to show you my hidden heart."

Spoiler

Now that the situation with New Generations has been cleared up, it's time to go back to producing the idols. It's summer now, just in time for brand new outfits! I particularly like Uzuki's blue blazer. But Ranko is still wearing the same gothic outfit as usual, replete with black umbrella. Then Mio comes in with in her famous hambagah, which inspires a show-and-tell event for all the Cinderella Project girls to participate in. So anyway, time for the next CD debut! I totally bet you can't guess who's next... no, this isn't a trick. Ranko's getting a solo unit, which also includes a concept video, but it's up to TakeP and the 346pro staff to figure out what it's going to be like.

So let me tell it to you straight: the rest of this episode is Total Chunni Bullshit starring Maaya Uchida, who already had Rikka Takanashi as one of her first big roles. And it's... good, I guess? It's just funny to see her go through all of these convoluted speeches about how the darkness will eat you alive. But, as it turns out, she's also very skittish and doesn't like the horror genre. What a wuss. It takes her a while to even connect with TakeP, calling him things like "Proletarian literature" and "Pudding" (of the Gorgeous Celebrity variety?), but eventually she bursts open and starts talking to him straight. All the while, she's jotting down convoluted notes in her "grimoire", which is just a typical notebook.

Oh, and there are good faces. Don't you forget it. Plus one more, coming with the screenshots.

Ultimately, TakeP retains the level in competency he took last episode, and Ranko gets a neat concept video set inside a church, where there are two personas of her representing your last two brain cells heading into the new year. Turns out they do play nice, and they've got pretty clothes. Here's hoping your 2022 is, if nothing else, filled with mental stability.

Random thoughts:

• It took me a whole year to watch eight episodes of this crap. That's not a good look. Then again, I rewatched the first episode three and a half months after starting the show on New Year's Day, then took almost a month just to get it wrote up. So, seven eps in eight months? I could still do better.
  • Next unit batch: two of them with three girls each. Prepare your wallet accordingly.
  • This episode really shines in the small moments, like Ranko's various expressions (including a wince, which makes for a great GIF), a scene in the idol dorm (where we find out she lives with Anya and two other girls I'll mention below) where she's scared and jump cuts bring her to the background, and various people calling her "Ranran". If there's one recurring bit I really want to start doing, it's giving embarrassingly cute nicknames to people and things, like how people apparently refer to two Grateful Dead albums as "Worky's Dead" and "Ammy Beauty".
  • The unit name goes from "Rosenburg Eklipse" to "Rosenburg Engel". Now that I think of it, I don't know why she had an issue with that. If she carries around an umbrella all the time, she must not mind the sun going away.
  • Cinderella Girls meme corner: At least they're not doing the bit about the damn soup store.
  • Bonus HameFura meme: I think I like Mary the most, in spite of her generic royal nature.
  • Rated TV-PG. So far, this show is tracking a lot lighter than the OG.

Idol roundup:

• Ranko: 14, Cool-type, 2nd Cinderella Girl. And her seiyuu also voices Bakarina! Of course I'd bring that up. She's a really cute and funny girl, one of the most popular in the whole franchise. She's in the most recent iM@S console game, Starlit Season. And she's not even the only chunni character in any branch, though she was the only voiced one at the time. Some of her cards are unusually sexy, like this SSR that some people (not anyone you need to listen to) criticized because it looked like lingerie. Then there's her third SSR, which was one of the first two I got when I started playing Deresute: the underboob and demonic ZR is one thing, but is that underage girl really drinking wine?
  • Syoko: 15, Passion-type. A weird one for sure: she likes mushrooms, which is about as specific of a gimmick as it gets for an idol, but she also has a crazy death metal persona. She is actually a big reason why I even got invested in Cinderella Girls to begin with, since I didn't know of any other idol character that had a character like her. Sadly, I couldn't stand her personality, switching between sweetly stoned mumbling and hideous atonal screaming, so I switched my tantou to a girl often paired with her. She switches between getting a decent amount of content and nothing at all. Too bad, given that her seiyuu is actually really good and has one of the most powerful singing voices in CG.
  • Koume: 13, Cool-type. The true horror idol, packing a sweatshirt with a painted-on blood stain and hair over one eye. She's fairly adorable. Also, for whatever reason, the Crunchyroll subs misspell her name as "Kome". I've never seen anything like that. They also spelled Syoko as "Shoko", but that's at least literal to the pronunciation.

Music review:

Come to think of it, the wiki I was linking to shut down, but then someone made a clone of it. And this one doesn't seem to delete my password every few weeks, so I always have to change it. Nice. Guess I'll be editing the earlier reviews, then.

Attack on Titan: The Final Season 17

Spoiler

As much as I don't doubt that Levi's still alive, the fact that he's being declared dead for the time being - to the point of Hange claiming he was "killed instantly" - is another reason episode 15 of Final Season is my least favorite in the entire Titan franchise, Junior High's lowest points included.

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear 4

Spoiler

And this right here is the reason I decided to watch this show: more direction analysis for season 2 of Kinky Kunoichi. After sitting on the possibility for a while, I decided to add a second episode director for jam #14, so joining Mitsutaka Noshitani in the hypothetical unit director's chair is Kouki Uchinomiya, who was actually credited in season 1 with production advancement duties for episode 8. Most of his experience as director is limited to kid-aimed long runners, most notably Yo-kai Watch, so for his dedicated analysis, I opted for a more otaku-aimed show whose episode of his I could get to right away. Between an intriguing plot synopsis despite by all means looking super low stakes, and the assumption that Netflix's subs for Komi Can't Communicate (for which he directed episode 5) are still fucked to shit, I settled on Kuma 3 Bear (as I'm shorthanding it) as the showof focus.

And really, I can't seem to place any specific style for Uchinomiya based off of this single episode. The closest thing to one I could identify was the notable lack of BGM during certain scenes, most notably the conversations had between Yuna and Cliff. Though once the second act kicked up, I noticed that this lacking BGM, plus the decreased use of simplistic design-board backgrounds for comic emphasis, served as subtle foreshadowing for the serious-minded plotline surrounding Fina's deathly ill mother. (By the way, rainy weather equaling sad drama is super hella cliche, though the mud on Gentz's boots and Yuna's optical acknowledgement of such were neat touches that made the change in weather feel less tacked-on than it could have been.) I can't say whether these subtle changes to support the episode's ultimate shift into drama (especially with the A-block's plot amounting to Yuna having a playdate with the local nobleman's daughter) were Uchinomiya's idea as enshutsu, or if it was series director Hisashi Saito's call - he storyboarded the episode himself, so naturally he'd know what mood would work best - but they made for interesting observations that I don't think I'd have noticed as heavily were I watching this in a more casual context.

My conclusion of this analysis in regards to Kunoichi, however, is that nothing much has changed from what I already had in mind. What I've written so far under the assumption that it was only Noshitani doing the directing possesses similar tics to Kuma 3 Bear 4: a dramatic ultimate focus to counterbalance the lighter tone of the alternate plot, and scenes where the lack of BGM is undeniable. I doubt I'll have to worry about removing any "Japanese comedy" visual aesthetics, especially with Toshiyuki Tsuru being the chief director of the series, and my planned inclusion of flashbacks to Shin's confrontation of the Kunoichi from the season finale during a later scene is a delightfully coincidental analogue to the two sets of flashbacks to Yuna's monster-hunting exploits, down to characters monologuing over the tightly-cut recap montages. Though my findings from this one weren't revelationary, it pleases me to know that the only thing I have to worry about in finishing Kunoichi 14, once I get back to it tomorrow morning, is getting the remaining scenes to fit within the remaining nine minutes of its runtime.

Edited by PokeNirvash