UnevenEdge

Predictions for Ghost in the Shell box office

Jman

OK everyone - How do you think Ghost in the Shell will do at the box office?

I predict a flat #3 performance, boosted by ScarJo's presence (see Lucy) but tempered by lousy reviews, the ongoing whitewashing controversy, and the fact that America really doesn't care about Ghost in the Shell.

I predict a flat #3 performance, boosted by ScarJo's presence (see Lucy) but tempered by lousy reviews, the ongoing whitewashing controversy, and the fact that America really doesn't care about Ghost in the Shell.

What the hell ELSE is coming out this weekend? NOTHING that I can see!

Gotta hand it to them, they picked a GOOD weekend to premiere it! I doubt CHiPs or Life will beat it, and Beauty and the Beast is an uncertainty in its 3rd week! Ditto for Power Rangers in its 2nd.

Therefore, I predict it will debut at #1 but on an otherwise weak box office weekend!

I'm going to say it debut's at 2... possibly even 1 due to lack of competition. Followed by scathing critic reviews and a massive drop off the next week.

Critically and Commercially I say... bombs away and it doesn't break even.

That's my best guess.

I didn't see Lucy, but It's an awful idea when your entire movie is based on the "Human beings only use 15 percent of their brain" nonsense which was debunked many, many years ago.

What?  Now America doesn't care about Ghost in the Shell?  It's one of the biggest manga and anime names out there.  If you mean not mainstream then sure, but I'd say it's probably on the cusp of it. 

I was thinking about seeing it.  Whitewashing and source material faithfulness aside, it looked pretty cool from the trailers.

Fans of GITS itself won't see it because of how it looks like it's gonna butcher the series, so count them out.

The whitewashing controversy will drive away a few people from seeing it, but I don't think too many.  There are few too people who feel so strongly about it not to go see it for that reason alone.

Casuals will either not see it because it's based on an anime, or will be drawn into it because of the (admittedly) stylish visuals and cool action sequences, so without a doubt I think the movie will make money.

What the hell ELSE is coming out this weekend? NOTHING that I can see!

Gotta hand it to them, they picked a GOOD weekend to premiere it! I doubt CHiPs or Life will beat it, and Beauty and the Beast is an uncertainty in its 3rd week! Ditto for Power Rangers in its 2nd.

Therefore, I predict it will debut at #1 but on an otherwise weak box office weekend!

Nothing is coming out this weekend but both #1 and #2 films have legs, especially Beauty and the Beast which is smashing records.  Not to mention it's tempered by issues with the name, and the whitewashing controversy which has really upset people.  Let's face it, compared to Beauty and the Beast and Power Rangers, Ghost and its box office appeal are comparatively minimal.  This is new to most.  And those it isn't probably don't want to see it for all the perceived slights.

So #3 and dropping.

From what I've read, sounds like folks are expecting it will make somewhere between 30 and 40 million over the weekend, which should put it at number one. Boss Baby's reviews seem pretty weak, and I think Beauty and Beast even in its third week will split a good portion of the kids audience with it, so I don't think either of them will likely beat it, and nothing else really looks like it has much of a chance.

Oh, and I personally don't get the whole whitewashing controversy. I mean why should ethnicity even matter in a future when you have an artificial cyborg body that you can choose to look however you want it to? Anyway, the Major (and most anime characters really) looks fairly caucasian to me. I never really saw her as distinctly Japanese-looking. The thing that peeves me a little though is that they seem to be selling this as simply a new "sci-fi movie" and are giving no or very little mention to its Japanese roots. I get why they would maybe choose to do that, at least in the run-up to its debut here (after all anime and manga still have a bit of a stigma amongst the general American public), but I hope the movie itself at least chooses to pay some credit to the original creators somehow besides like a single line in the end credits. I mean I saw Johansson on the Tonight Show last night, and they really said absolutely nothing about the movie other than that it's a new sci-fi film that's coming out this weekend.

Oh, and I personally don't get the whole whitewashing controversy. I mean why should ethnicity even matter in a future when you have an artificial cyborg body that you can choose to look however you want it to? Anyway, the Major (and most anime characters really) looks fairly caucasian to me. I never really saw her as distinctly Japanese-looking. The thing that peeves me a little though is that they seem to be selling this as simply a new "sci-fi movie" and are giving no or very little mention to its Japanese roots. I get why they would maybe choose to do that, at least in the run-up to its debut here (after all anime and manga still have a bit of a stigma amongst the general American public), but I hope the movie itself at least chooses to pay some credit to the original creators somehow besides like a single line in the end credits. I mean I saw Johansson on the Tonight Show last night, and they really said absolutely nothing about the movie other than that it's a new sci-fi film that's coming out this weekend. [/color][/font]

I agree with you whole-heartedly on the whitewashing thing.

Clearly she saved all the talk about it for Howard Stern. :P

Rumor is the film will not be screened for critics.

Crap film incoming.

You might want to check again. Reviews for it are out now. Looks like they decided not to let critics screen it here till today though. Overall, they seem fairly positive on average. Not exactly glowing, but they're not panning it. I'll choose to keep an open mind till I get to see it myself. I'm not expecting more than a good, and hopefully at least semi-thoughtful, action flick that won't try and insult my intelligence. We'll see.

Oh hey some reviews are out. Here's a positive one from rotten tomatoes.

"A here-and-now valentine to what design wizardry Hollywood can pull off in 2017. At the same time, it does so in service of a tired tale full of repurposed visual tricks, storytelling clichés and big-studio concessions."

Apparently it's a visually stunning but formulaic revenge plot movie.

I have no doubt in my mind that the movie LOOKS good, I don't think that was ever in question.

It's the "revenge plot" that I have a problem with.  That's not what GITS is about.  If they wanted to make a revenge movie, they could have made a revenge movie.  They only attached the GITS name to it to give it some meat.

Well, I just saw the film, and I thought it was really good. Not to spoil anything, but there were some cool homages to the first movie (more than I thought there would be), and they did a pretty good job of incorporating the other Section 9 members, especially given the time constraints of a two hour film that they had to work with. They even worked in a couple of pieces of the original music that I recognized during each of the credit sequences. Story was simple, but still pretty well-thought out and put together.

Opened with $7.6 million at the box office yesterday. With that $110 million production budget, not including marketing costs, you can mark this as a low $20 million opener. Bona fide flop, unless international grosses save it.

Opened with $7.6 million at the box office yesterday. With that $110 million production budget, not including marketing costs, you can mark this as a low $20 million opener. Bona fide flop, unless international grosses save it.

633.gif

Well you got it right

http://unevenedge.imfapp.in/free-for-all/box-office-movies-top-3-money-makers/msg114110/#msg114110

Didn't even crack $19M.

Will we EVER figure out how to make a successful live-action adaptation of an anime series in the US??

Not this year, apparently!

We can't even figure out how to make a decent Superman movie.