UnevenEdge

BREAKING NEWS: JULY SCHEDULE DROPS, MORE EXPANSION INCOMING!!

I guess I'll just leave this here, because I can't think of where it belongs better...

Demon Slayer may be unreliable, but at least we can probably count on this!

Summer 2025 and spring 2026 will likely be hot ones! 🔥🤘

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I guess I'll just leave this here, because I can't think of where it belongs better...

Demon Slayer may be unreliable, but at least we can probably count on this!

Summer 2025 and spring 2026 will likely be hot ones! 🔥🤘

Crunchy is 100% in control of Fire Force unlike Demon Slayer (Aniplex) and Dr. Stone (TMS) sooooo I dunno about that one chief.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Sketch said:

Crunchy is 100% in control of Fire Force unlike Demon Slayer (Aniplex) and Dr. Stone (TMS) sooooo I dunno about that one chief.

Are you sure? I thought David Productions had some say too! Hard pressed to believe that's the case for a show going back to '19.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2024 at 11:56 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

Are you sure? I thought David Productions had some say too! Hard pressed to believe that's the case for a show going back to '19.

It's a co-production for FUNimation now Crunchyroll. While FUNimation was willing to air it on Toonami (probably in hopes to expand the show's reach), Crunchyroll inheriting could shut down any future deals for it unless FUNimation built a long term renewable contract for it like Attack on Titan. David Productions is just an animation studio for hire they don't handle distribution like TMS and Aniplex. Somewhat related: based on the movie poster which completely omits Crunchyroll and SONY, TOHO International is releasing the next MHA movie themselves. Meanwhile the Demon Slayer trilogy does mention Crunchyroll and Sony on top of Aniplex.

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fire Force is such a question mark. We don't know if Warner/[as]/Toonami got a long-term AOT-style contract for it but we don't know they didn't either. One huge clue may be as of at least 2023, the episodes of Fire Force on Hulu had the [as] bug on them! But the delay in Season 2 airing back in 2020 doesn't exactly instill confidence that they will get Season 3 for sure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Fire Force is such a question mark. We don't know if Warner/[as]/Toonami got a long-term AOT-style contract for it but we don't know they didn't either. One huge clue may be as of at least 2023, the episodes of Fire Force on Hulu had the [as] bug on them! But the delay in Season 2 airing back in 2020 doesn't exactly instill confidence that they will get Season 3 for sure.

Zero chance of that. Funimation did not like the deal they made with AS with AoT. It took too much power out of their hands. Dont forget, Funimation had a few stints of being tough to work with long before CR came around. They definitely did sign away the rights to anything long term. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Zero chance of that. Funimation did not like the deal they made with AS with AoT. It took too much power out of their hands. Dont forget, Funimation had a few stints of being tough to work with long before CR came around. They definitely did sign away the rights to anything long term. 

Zero chance of what? Toonami airing Season 3 of Fire Force, when they've never been denied before? Preposterous!

And I have confirmed that the dub of Fire Force on Hulu does indeed reference [adult swim] to this day! This is also the case with both seasons, despite the fact the show wasn't a dub premiere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Zero chance of what? Toonami airing Season 3 of Fire Force, when they've never been denied before? Preposterous!

And I have confirmed that the dub of Fire Force on Hulu does indeed reference [adult swim] to this day! This is also the case with both seasons, despite the fact the show wasn't a dub premiere.

Zero chance that AS has a contract entitling them to it. They might get it. I’d say if they manage to land MHA, they have good odds of getting Fire Force. But as with anything from Crunchyroll, getting it means fighting tooth and nail for it and likely more schedule gaps to pay for it. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 11:34 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

Don’t forget the number of times that Toonami having first rights to the dub DELAYED its release on streaming because they needed to do a 4th of July marathon on July 1st or something like that 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well, folks, we just got a huge clue about August:

https://collider.com/rick-and-morty-anime-trailer/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2hh_caYUeN27OrpqTlAu0muMIDbCIuwgtBoNrKPf7jnTL9PmQolDmE4OI_aem_DIV2F2Zl2eKaocBKTnIGPQ

Catch that? Rick & Morty: the Anime premieres THURSDAY, August 15th with its English dub, then the Subtitled version airs August 17th at Midnight.

This confirms 2 things:

1. Not even Rick & Morty can expand Saturday Night Toonami to begin before midnight. At least, not YET--more on that later.

2. If it's indeed the next Midnight show after Supes, then there will be special schedules on August 3rd and 10th where something ELSE airs at Midnight instead!

So, here are my theories:

1. Looks like we may get a mini-marathon to finish off Shippuden from 12-2 AM on August 3rd after all! After all, we have a debt of one One Piece, so what better way to catch up? Then after that, DBZ Kai, Kamui, and new reruns at 3 AM.

2. This actually makes it Highly Likely that Demon Slayer: Swordsmith Village Arc is indeed coming, since the 1st episode has a 49-minute runtime, and CAN be aired in an hour, but probably needs 75 minutes under [as] commercial scheme. At the usual rate of 11 minutes of show for 15 minutes of airtime, we need at least 67 minutes. Could just give One Piece a really wonky start time at 1:07 AM, start a 2nd episode at 1:35, and Kai at 2:02, and go from there. But my money's on them loading Demon Slayer Episode 45 with promos for R&M Anime, and stretching it out to 1:15 with an R&M short afterward, then airing a single One Piece at 1:30. Then we get Kai at 2, Kamui at 2:30, and whatever reruns Toonami/[as] wants to fill the 3 AM hour with, probably an extension of the previous week.

3. Now we come to the 17th, and we know R&M Anime is at midnight, and if my #2 theory is correct, Demon Slayer would continue at 12:30. HOPEFULLY we then have a new show at 1 AM, maybe MHA, maybe something else, then One Piece at 1:30, R&M dub at 2, Kai moving down to 2:30, and Kamui at 3, with or without something else Toonami related at 3:30.

4. Since R&M Anime is 10 episodes and will probably air continuously, that means it airs in October. Uzumaki may be an October-November show, but I believe when (and IF) they're ready to premiere it in October, Toonami expands to 11:30 for 2-3 weeks, then Uzumaki is at midnight for 4. Hell, could even keep Toonami at 11:30 for a while with encores of the DUB, after the first run concludes.

What do y'all think?

• Like 1

What an absolutely moronic way to go about this. Leading with subs of a show Toonami fans are not excited for is going to be brutal for the ratings. And despite their claims of intelligence, most R&M fans who give this a chance will just watch Thursday so they don’t have to read. 

37 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

1. Looks like we may get a mini-marathon to finish off Shippuden from 12-2 AM on August 3rd after all! After all, we have a debt of one One Piece, so what better way to catch up? Then after that, DBZ Kai, Kamui, and new reruns at 3 AM.

For once I somewhat agree with one of your theories and really hope you are right. Naruto fans have dedicated over 10 years of service to the block, give them a nice send off. 

38 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

3. Now we come to the 17th, and we know R&M Anime is at midnight, and if my #2 theory is correct, Demon Slayer would continue at 12:30. HOPEFULLY we then have a new show at 1 AM, maybe MHA, maybe something else, then One Piece at 1:30, R&M dub at 2, Kai moving down to 2:30, and Kamui at 3, with or without something else Toonami related at 3:30.

Nah, if AS won’t let us premier the dub, we don’t want it. If they do burn off Naruto, they need at least 2 new shows to carry this schedule

40 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

4. Since R&M Anime is 10 episodes and will probably air continuously, that means it airs in October. Uzumaki may be an October-November show, but I believe when (and IF) they're ready to premiere it in October, Toonami expands to 11:30 for 2-3 weeks, then Uzumaki is at midnight for 4. Hell, could even keep Toonami at 11:30 for a while with encores of the DUB, after the first run concludes.

If R&M didn’t get us an expansion forward, nothing will. Toonami is never airing earlier than midnight again. 

• Like 1

They really ought to do a 4 episode send-off for Shippuden. All the better if they got The Last from Viz. But AL is probably right that they will do a send-off for Shippuden on August 3rd and start Swordsmith Village on August 10th. That or they run a movie.

No mention of Swordsmith Village airing on Toonami at either the Demon Slayer or Aniplex panels at AX doesn’t bode well for it airing soon.

Thursday dub premieres and Saturday sub airings (it will probably already be available sub on Max by Friday) is quite possibly the worst way they could be rolling Rickanime out. It’s gonna be a disappointing turn out on Thursday and tank Toonami on Saturdays.

And did you have Sentai dubbed Rick & Morty on your bingo cards? It was looking likely after Suikai’d Squad but I still can’t hardly believe they’re going that route with Rick & Morty. Seems like only the co-pros Maki is involved with are getting union dubs (though Fena wasn’t union).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, no news about it at AX certainly is disheartening because you would think an ANIPLEX panel would at least mention it, ditto for a Demon Slayer panel. But then again, it's not exactly "new" news for them despite it being highly anticipated for Toonami fans, and they probably had a limited time to cover other stuff, so it's not necessarily too telling that it wasn't mentioned. If they're really only blasting through the Demon Slayer Entertainment District Arc rerun because they're about to lose the rights, that's disappointing.

Is The Last a made-for-TV Naruto movie that takes place after Shippuden? What is it, exactly? If that is what it is, maybe it has the midnight slot on 8/10?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sketch said:

They really ought to do a 4 episode send-off for Shippuden. All the better if they got The Last from Viz. But AL is probably right that they will do a send-off for Shippuden on August 3rd and start Swordsmith Village on August 10th. That or they run a movie.

No mention of Swordsmith Village airing on Toonami at either the Demon Slayer or Aniplex panels at AX doesn’t bode well for it airing soon.

Thursday dub premieres and Saturday sub airings (it will probably already be available sub on Max by Friday) is quite possibly the worst way they could be rolling Rickanime out. It’s gonna be a disappointing turn out on Thursday and tank Toonami on Saturdays.

And did you have Sentai dubbed Rick & Morty on your bingo cards? It was looking likely after Suikai’d Squad but I still can’t hardly believe they’re going that route with Rick & Morty. Seems like only the co-pros Maki is involved with are getting union dubs (though Fena wasn’t union).

There’s this thing where anything mainstream doesn’t go to Toonami because of its time slot. I was hoping with Superman, they learned the lesson about Thursdays but I guess not

If we don’t get MHA or DS, then maybe that Fighting Girl show airs at 12:30

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Is The Last a made-for-TV Naruto movie that takes place after Shippuden?

No, it was not made-for-TV. I'm offended that you would even insinuate that sort of thing.

But you're right, it does take place after Shippuden. Well, after the manga canon but before the arc currently airing.

Edited by PokeNirvash

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

No, it was not made-for-TV. I'm offended that you would even insinuate that sort of thing.

But you're right, it does take place after Shippuden. Well, after the manga canon but before the arc currently airing.

Yeah it should actually air before the wedding so I'd prefer they run it on August 3rd and the final 4 on August 10th but whatever. They should air it, you know... as a little treat.

5 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Yeah it should actually air before the wedding so I'd prefer they run it on August 3rd and the final 4 on August 10th but whatever. They should air it, you know... as a little treat.

They have the perfect set up for it really. These early wedding arc episodes are just solo character stories, so the next 2 won’t feel too out of place if they park The Last on Aug 3, then blow through the last 4 the following week. This shouldn’t be that hard or expensive of a deal to hammer out with Viz if they really wanted to put the effort forward. 

• Like 1

Well, I expected Rick and Morty to invade Toonami in August. I didn't expect it to be in the middle of that month, though.

The dub's on Thursdays, while Toonami gets the sub? And they're airing the subtitled version at Midnight? I mean, I'm not really that surprised, but it still feels weird. I don't know what would air in the rest of August, but my predictions have been shifted from this announcement.

Sentai Filmworks is dubbing the show? Well, that makes anything from HiDive a lot likelier in the future, especially now that subbed anime has a chance at Midnight for some reason.

Yeah, it's a lot to take in.

Major news about Rewind. After episode 7 of Naruto, they are straight up skipping 13 episodes and going straight to the chunin exam arc. 

The recent schedule shuffle was worrying, but had some logic to it. This change is a bright red alert that Rewind is failing. If Jason “we can’t skip a single episode” Demarco is willing to skip 13 (actually kinda decent Zabuza arc) episodes to get us to what most fans cite as the best and most memorable arc of the entire series, then this block is dire. Those betting that Rewind wouldn’t make it to the end of summer might end up being right. 

41 minutes ago, Mr. Idea Box said:

Sentai Filmworks is dubbing the show? Well, that makes anything from HiDive a lot likelier in the future, especially now that subbed anime has a chance at Midnight for some reason.

Sentai has been on the table since 2015. Years ago they were begging fans to convince Demarco to air more of their shows. Toonami has NEVER had a problem with finding content. Their problem is Demarco turns his nose up at everything unless it’s super popular. Which unfortunately Sentai doesn’t get too much of. They have quite a few seasonal hits, but those aren’t good enough for Demarco. 

41 minutes ago, Mr. Idea Box said:
  • Like 1
  • D'oh 1

2 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Why would they skip the actually-good Zabuza arc to jump to the blatant Hunter Exam ripoff arc?

Hopefully an error that happened when they doubled up Sailor Moon and moved Naruto to 6pm and hopefully asking DeMarco about it on Bluesky (as I did) will fix it before July 19th. Otherwise, this is asinine and will only tick off people who are actually watching Naruto on Rewind. GREAT JOB PROGRAMMING AND/OR DEMARCO!

The battle on the bridge is some peak Naruto and skipping it intentionally to get to Gaara or whatever sooner is a bad call.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

The way you say it, it's almost like you want Rewind to kick the bucket. >:(

Absolutely not. If it dies, guess where all that shit ends up? I want this block to live as hard as I possibly can. But this is just realism, the block working was a longshot and the cracks are already showing. 

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

Hopefully an error that happened when they doubled up Sailor Moon and moved Naruto to 6pm and hopefully asking DeMarco about it on Bluesky (as I did) will fix it before July 19th. Otherwise, this is asinine and will only tick off people who are actually watching Naruto on Rewind. GREAT JOB PROGRAMMING AND/OR DEMARCO!

The battle on the bridge is some peak Naruto and skipping it intentionally to get to Gaara or whatever sooner is a bad call.

He said it MIGHT be a mistake, but it’s not reassuring that he isn’t certain. Because that implies skips aren’t off the table. 

If they wanted to skip something, they should have skipped the first 6 and started us on day 1 with the start of the Mist arc. Probably would have helped the numbers quite a bit. 

42 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Okay, I don't know where that screencap in the tweet is from, but my Xfinity scheduled recordings are showing the correct "S1E8: The Oath of Pain" airing on the 19th.

It's from the AdultSwim.com internal schedule but it's reassuring to hear the correct episode is listed on DVR schedules. Does the DVR also have two episodes of Sailor Moon schedule for the 19th?

• Confused 1

On 7/11/2024 at 10:39 PM, Top Gun said:

Okay, I don't know where that screencap in the tweet is from, but my Xfinity scheduled recordings are showing the correct "S1E8: The Oath of Pain" airing on the 19th.

Haven't fixed it at Spectrum (yet?). I've still got Episode 20. That is also what Swimpedia has, but the official [as] app schedule for Friday won't be out until tomorrow. Then I guess we will learn if we are inexplicably skipping Zabuza or not with the time slot change.

Y'know, at least the episodes they skipped of Prince of Tennis and MAR had the whole "watch Toonami Jetstream" theory to at least rationalize it. This is just straight-up brain-dead decision-making that I hope gets some form of course-correction in the next few months, even though we probably won't be getting any.

Programming. Programming never changes.

Edited by PokeNirvash
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Y'know, at least the episodes they skipped of Prince of Tennis and MAR had the whole "watch Toonami Jetstream" theory to at least rationalize it. This is just straight-up brain-dead decision-making that I hope gets some form of course-correction in the next few months, even though we probably won't be getting any.

Programming. Programming never changes.

In theory it’s a good idea. Skip boring setup episodes and get us right to the meat people care about. But in practice, they skipped the meat and left us with the setup. The only hope Rewind ever had of success was being a “best of” block. No one wants to start these shows over from S1 Ep1 on cable. 

My guide said episode 8 on Friday and swapped to episode 20 on Saturday, so I highly doubt this is a mistake and rather is a late term change made due to ratings. We have seen this with AS scheduling in the past, when something starts flopping, they start making abrupt and questionable changes. 

Ultimately it will probably only make things worse. We leave the action of Zabuza to go to the setup of the chunin exams. Rather than the more logical option of starting us right on the chunin exam fights. 

I think they grossly overestimated how many viewers want to watch 20+ year old shows with 200+ episodes at a pace of one per week. And now they are in a panic. 

The advanced schedule for August 3rd blanks out Toonami but it does show Primal at 3:30AM so unless that changes (and it certainly can) then Toonami is losing 3:30am but probably keeping 3am for now. What they intend to do with that slot for two weeks to keep it warm for an extra Rickanime encore is anyone's guess. Yes that's not confirmed but we all see it coming right?

3 minutes ago, Sketch said:

The advanced schedule for August 3rd blanks out Toonami but it does show Primal at 3:30AM so unless that changes (and it certainly can) then Toonami is losing 3:30am but probably keeping 3am for now. What they intend to do with that slot for two weeks to keep it warm for an extra Rickanime encore is anyone's guess. Yes that's not confirmed but we all see it coming right?

Where are you looking? Zap?

On 7/15/2024 at 12:15 AM, Toonamiguy321 said:

In theory it’s a good idea. Skip boring setup episodes and get us right to the meat people care about. But in practice, they skipped the meat and left us with the setup. The only hope Rewind ever had of success was being a “best of” block. No one wants to start these shows over from S1 Ep1 on cable. 

My guide said episode 8 on Friday and swapped to episode 20 on Saturday, so I highly doubt this is a mistake and rather is a late term change made due to ratings. We have seen this with AS scheduling in the past, when something starts flopping, they start making abrupt and questionable changes. 

Ultimately it will probably only make things worse. We leave the action of Zabuza to go to the setup of the chunin exams. Rather than the more logical option of starting us right on the chunin exam fights. 

I think they grossly overestimated how many viewers want to watch 20+ year old shows with 200+ episodes at a pace of one per week. And now they are in a panic. 

I wonder if they’ll have some TOM dialogue explaining the shift 

14 hours ago, Sketch said:

The 3rd and the 10th will be non standard schedules, so that could be part of the reason if they are doing something special and it doesn’t fill the whole time. But, losing 3:30 makes sense. Its only purpose was to give space for the Ninja Kamui sub. It was assumed they kept it around for R&M, but now that isn’t the case so it’s going away. If that’s the case, it lowers the odds that the Demon Slayer burnoff was to get to the next arc which makes the standard schedule potential more grim. 

We should be getting the 3rd and 10th schedule by Friday. Going by this years patterns, probably Friday morning. 

14 hours ago, brianycpht said:

I wonder if they’ll have some TOM dialogue explaining the shift 

Strategically it’s best not to say a word because that just calls more attention to it. Very few people are like us and looking at the schedule every week. Your typical brainless viewer will say to themselves “weren’t we in the Zabuza arc? Damn must have missed a week.” and then think nothing more of it. 

Plus, there is no good way to have TOM spin the change that doesn’t make the block sound like it’s already dying. 

6 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

The [as] app schedule says it's Episode 20.

I wonder if we will hear from Demarco on the matter. Or since it’s a negative development, he will just claim to not be involved with Rewind. 

3am was tacked on for Kamui subs, they added 3:30 to double up Demon Slayer. Theoretically they could use 3am for dubbed Rickanime but they have two weeks before that would come into play. Maybe double Kamui to finish that sooner? More likely some Rick shorts.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Sketch said:

3am was tacked on for Kamui subs, they added 3:30 to double up Demon Slayer. Theoretically they could use 3am for dubbed Rickanime but they have two weeks before that would come into play. Maybe double Kamui to finish that sooner? More likely some Rick shorts.

Oh my bad, had the wrong expansion on the mind. That said, did anyone besides Owl really think the current expansion wasn’t temporary for this burnoff? 

Id love if the dub Rick encore got parked there, but I doubt we will be so lucky. Worst case we get a midnight run of it after the sub. Best case we have an all night marathon of the dub one week. 

I think the biggest question right now is Kai. We are at major schedule shuffle where it should be making the switch to being Rewind exclusive. However, we are also seeing signs that Rewind might not even make it to the end of summer. That concern may result in Kai not making the jump. Consider the following nightmare for the fall.

12 - Rick/Uzumaki (lol)/Suicide Squad

12:30 - acquired show

1:00 - One Piece

1:30 - Sailor Moon

2:00 - Naruto

2:30 - DBZ Kai

If people don’t start watching Rewind, this is a very possible future. 

2 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

No more speculation, it’s now Facebook official. No reason given, they are just doing it. Which means the ratings are dire. 

IMG_1398.jpeg

This is so idiotic. A panic move like this will only turn off the current viewers and not draw in enough to offset the loss.

They should have left Naruto alone and trusted that sandwiching it between double Moon and Kai would be enough to get over a rough patch if it was having one.

I think Sailor Moon can keep Rewind around if Kai does well enough but Naruto is likely to be late night filler on Saturday when Shippuden ends.

• Like 2

There are but three certainties in life: death, taxes, and [adult swim]'s programming monkeys acting like a bunch of arrogant numbnutses.

Hopefully on the offchance OG Naruto pops up on the Saturday block after Shippuden finishes, they air the episodes they skipped on Rewind. It'd be a waste of money otherwise.

Edited by PokeNirvash
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Sketch said:

This is so idiotic. A panic move like this will only turn off the current viewers and not draw in enough to offset the loss.

They should have left Naruto alone and trusted that sandwiching it between double Moon and Kai would be enough to get over a rough patch if it was having one.

I think Sailor Moon can keep Rewind around if Kai does well enough but Naruto is likely to be late night filler on Saturday when Shippuden ends.

I doubt Naruto is the sole problem, just their next attempt at a solution. It reminds me of the short lived Chiller block. The first show did leagues better than the rest of the block, but still terrible against the rest of cable. 8 weeks of Kai re-re-reruns did no favors for Naruto airing after it. 

What’s frustrating is skipping episodes is a great idea. Just not now. Imagine back in May, Naruto starting at the first episode of the Mist arc. Naruto isn’t new to anyone watching Toonami in 2024, we didn’t need nor want to sit through the early setup. We should have went straight to the action.