UnevenEdge

I’m moving!

to a much bigger place which is nice, but I hired movers for the first time. I’m rather nervous about them moving my shit. Like my tv n stuff.

anyone have any movers stories? Like what do I do if they fuck up?

• Like 1

I worked for a moving company for a time.

This one lady had so many dildos.

As a courtesy, please clean your dildos, the movers will want to fake sword fight with them and no one wants a smelly dildo sword.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mix said:

I worked for a moving company for a time.

This one lady had so many dildos.

As a courtesy, please clean your dildos, the movers will want to fake sword fight with them and no one wants a smelly dildo sword.

Poor lady, that 10 inch mandingo you stole for your own pleasure was her favorite.

When I moved into my apartment, me and my dad did most of the leg work. But then there was the matter of all the heavy furniture. My parents are the only family I have left here (all 3 of my brothers and their families moved away) so it's just me and my dad to do the hard things. However, I have throughout my entire life been very scrawny and without muscle, and my dad was always hella strong my whole life, BUT he's in his 70s and has a bad back, and he's in no condition to be lifting heavy furniture anymore. My did thought about hiring pro movers but he really did not want to pay the thousands of dollars for it (and he didn't want me to pay for it either). So I asked two of my friends to help move all the furniture. I offered them free pizza and beer. My dad said tell them they'll get $100 a piece too, from him. They agreed, and they did a great job of hauling all the big shit into the truck (my dad rented it), out of the truck and arranging it how I wanted in my apartment. They seemed very happy to do it, and they enjoyed the pizza and beer, and were really grateful for the money. When it was all done, my dad remarked to me, "Your friends helping us were a godsend." I told my one friend that my dad said that, and he said us asking him to help me move was like a godsend to him too, as he needed money for his kid's school pictures, and he had no idea where he was going to get it, then the money from my dad made him able to afford it easily.

10 hours ago, Insipid said:

Poor lady, that 10 inch mandingo you stole for your own pleasure was her favorite.

Who said we stole anything?

Movers don't steal. They play with your stuff.

• Thanks 1

We haven't used a mover in years, and the last time we did they only moved furniture.

The best advice I can give is to have the movers move things like furniture and appliances, and move everything else like dishes, electronics, valuables, breakable items and clothing yourself.  If need be, I suggest renting a small (16') box truck for your smaller items because its a hell of a lot easier and faster moving boxes on a dolly with a lift gate.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

We haven't used a mover in years, and the last time we did they only moved furniture.

The best advice I can give is to have the movers move things like furniture and appliances, and move everything else like dishes, electronics, valuables, breakable items and clothing yourself.  If need be, I suggest renting a small (16') box truck for your smaller items because its a hell of a lot easier and faster moving boxes on a dolly with a lift gate.

See we are throwing out most of our furniture because we bought all new stuff, but we have a 75’ tv. That won’t fit in my Jeep or his platinum safely so we are kinda hostage in that. I’m just worried about the expensive stuff. 

Edited by Still Me
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Still Me said:

See we are throwing out most of our furniture because we bought all new stuff, but we have a 75’ tv. That won’t fit in my Jeep or his platinum safely so we are kinda hostage in that. I’m just worried about the expensive stuff. 

Do you have the box and foam for that tv still?  You're almost doing as much work to box it yourself so that it doesn't get damaged as you would by renting a U-Haul for a day or so and strapping it to the side with a blanket and some Home Depot ratchet straps.  (FWIW, I have extensive experience moving musical instruments.)

5 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Do you have the box and foam for that tv still?  You're almost doing as much work to box it yourself so that it doesn't get damaged as you would by renting a U-Haul for a day or so and strapping it to the side with a blanket and some Home Depot ratchet straps.  (FWIW, I have extensive experience moving musical instruments.)

Well when we booked the movers they asked how big the tv was and they said they had boxing materials for it and they would box it. 😬

• Like 1