UnevenEdge

So, anyone want to talk about possible room temperature superconductors being discovered?

Jman

6 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

I have no idea what any of that means

It’s a superconductor that would be infinitely more efficient than what we currently use which results in excess heat.  Things like quantum computers and fusion reactors would be far easier to construct.  Here, this guy explains it way better.

Edited by Jman
  • Thanks 2

Even if it does exist, it would still draw scrutiny from the West because we didn't discover it.

Not that I know shit about superconductivity, My electric knowledge is sophomoric at best and that was my original major, but all I'm seeing is the data being inconsistent and an automatic disregard for the video provided. What I haven't seen is a real dispute to the claim.  Which could be right around the corner....but I just feel like the claim is being shat on for ego reasons....maybe I'm saying I hope that's the case and SK really aced that shit.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

Even if it does exist, it would still draw scrutiny from the West because we didn't discover it.

Not that I know shit about superconductivity, My electric knowledge is sophomoric at best and that was my original major, but all I'm seeing is the data being inconsistent and an automatic disregard for the video provided. What I haven't seen is a real dispute to the claim.  Which could be right around the corner....but I just feel like the claim is being shat on for ego reasons....maybe I'm saying I hope that's the case and SK really aced that shit.

The main issue is that the paper hasn't been peer-reviewed yet, so no one's taken a good hard look at their data to see if it stands up to scrutiny. Room-temperature superconductors are kind of a Holy Grail, and there have been many claims and promising leads in the past that have all fizzled out to nothing, so I think it's natural to be skeptical until this team's results can be repeated by others. I mean it would be amazing if it was true, and I genuinely hope it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched a video about this a couple of days ago and the thing that kept me from getting excited about this is....

"but only while squeezed to pressures greater than one million atmospheres. And maintaining such high pressures is even more impractical than sustaining superlow temperatures."

Edited by Sieg67
  • Like 2

Possible room temperature superconductor discovered? Would that be

Muscle Man My Mom Quotes. QuotesGram

Had to. This topic screamed for a mom joke but I didn't know if I could take a fake swing at the OP's mom or not. :D 

For the reason already pointed out by Sieg67, it's still no where near possible to attempt this on a practical level. The possibility is out there but right now you'd need to have Superman's sphincter on chili day to have portable pressure for it. 

23 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

After the "cold fusion" debacle of the 80s, I'm not holding my breath.

Like the one scientist I cited said, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Then again, we technically have produced a fusion reaction that creates more energy than was put in, so it's clear that science is progressing.  I just wish it would progress faster.