UnevenEdge

The Rise of America, BRICS, and the Industrial Revolution

1 minute ago, Icarus27k said:

Russia has only the 11th largest economy in the world, right behind Canada and Brazil. 

Screenshot_20230611-025001.thumb.png.c3210fea9b1d92e9f6a6687eca3a50e4.png

Russia totally does NOT have a greater manufacturing capacity than NATO, either for war or anything else.

War propaganda has to at least be somewhat credible. 

im talking about their ability to produce weapons! they been outgunning the ukraine with artillery on a great scale throughout this entire time. 

Just now, Distortedreasoning said:

im talking about their ability to produce weapons! they been outgunning the ukraine with artillery on a great scale throughout this entire time. 

You said Russia has a greater capacity for manufacturing for war than NATO does. It totally does not. The U.S. alone could produce more weapons and equipment than Russia can if they wanted to. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

if you are russia, given the situation i outlined, what are your options? what do you do? 

What would I do? Mind my own business and never even think about invading another country. Russia wasn't even close to being forced into military action. 

This is all moot because all the reasons you listed are Russia's lies about their motivations. None of it was the real reason for the invasion. 

Edited by Icarus27k
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Distortedreasoning said:

i think the other global power, china is taking a different approach which is more about cooperation and willingness to work with somebody. look at how china acts globally, vs how we act. china is building medical facilities and infrastructure in africa, they are building airports and mass transit railways in both africa and in asia. they make trades that benefits both parties involved. does this look like the evil dictator empire that wants to rule the world to you? 

What you are describing is "soft power". It's an old idea. The United States has done plenty of its share of it in history. 

The idea of it being indicative of a nation's moral goodness is dubious. International relations are NEVER purely altruistic. It's fine if China is helping other nations build stuff, but it's selfish. They want something out of it. 

I don't see any difference between soft power and having military bases in foreign countries. 

Edited by Icarus27k
  • Like 2

By the way, soft power is when a nation gets others nations to want what it wants. In China's case, it is being nice to the other nations to curry favor with them, for some ulterior goal. 

What is that ulterior goal? I don't know for sure, but I suspect it has to do with China wanting to be a superpower at some point. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Distortedreasoning said:

from what i see, our main objective was to destabilize russia and it has failed. 

By "our" I assume you mean the U.S.'s objective. This is a good question. What is the U.S.'s main objective in the Ukraine War? 

It seems to be, broadly speaking, help Ukraine survive as a free independent state. Any damage done to Russia in pursuit of this objective could be welcome, but it's not the main objective. 

I believe there is a debate within the U.S. government about whether the objective means not stopping until Ukraine regains all of its territory from the 1991 borders or being satisfied with the territory Ukraine has as of today. 

The United States government thinks it's really satisfying that Russia is bogged down in a war and their regular volunteer army has been destroyed. They probably think that's really funny. But it's not the main objective. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Icarus27k said:

By the way, soft power is when a nation gets others nations to want what it wants. In China's case, it is being nice to the other nations to curry favor with them, for some ulterior goal. 

What is that ulterior goal? I don't know for sure, but I suspect it has to do with China wanting to be a superpower at some point. 

I'm not convinced it's them being nice on the surface. I'm sure it's building any and everything with the idea that "y'all can just take care of this later, or we'll...work something out" until they start calling in debts/favors.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Icarus27k said:

I’m pretty sure China is already a superpower, at least by contemporary standards.  The ulterior goal for their belt and road projects could simply be that it’s a way to keep their heavy industries functioning as their domestic economy slows.  You can’t build forever:  the transition from expansion to retrofit/modernization is often filled by overseas projects.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Icarus27k said:

Russia has only the 11th largest economy in the world, right behind Canada and Brazil. 

Screenshot_20230611-025001.thumb.png.c3210fea9b1d92e9f6a6687eca3a50e4.png

Russia totally does NOT have a greater manufacturing capacity than NATO, either for war or anything else.

War propaganda has to at least be somewhat credible. 

now show the u.s.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Screenshot_20231118-135641.thumb.png.d27abbd7679bd4816ddae436c9944b1b.png

The gist of it is that "multipolar" technically defines many different countries of equal power, similar to European countries before the outbreak of WWI. The current world is far from that at this time. There are only two standout countries right now: the U.S., which is by far the most powerful, and China, which hopes to overtake the U.S. some day. All other countries languish behind, culturally, economically and militarily. 

That's not multipolar. It could eventually be bipolar, but that itself is not guaranteed. 

• Haha 1

Well, Russia sure ain’t one of those poles.  Multipolarity makes sense when you have individually comparable regions.  Obviously, China is trying that with its aggressive South China Sea policy, and learning the hard way that gunpoint diplomacy doesn’t work.  Russia has always been a pole purely because of its size - you can shut it completely out of world markets and it’ll survive on that alone.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Icarus27k said:

Screenshot_20240206-185753.thumb.png.cc86e8145320bf0c774db8451bf52cc0.png

"Sent from my iPhone"

Posted on the Internet. The U.S. Defense Department experiment, National Science Foundation-funded Internet.

And not to be that person but Taylor Swift is American. 

If she decided to eat popcorn with chopsticks* in public, there'd be people on every continent doing the same thing the next day. 

*it keeps your fingers from getting the greasies when you are screwing around on the internets... I mean wut? <.< >.>

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

And not to be that person but Taylor Swift is American. 

If she decided to eat popcorn with chopsticks* in public, there'd be people on every continent doing the same thing the next day. 

*it keeps your fingers from getting the greasies when you are screwing around on the internets... I mean wut? <.< >.>

Last night, I talked to a Danish friend of mine and was surprised to know he knew about both Homeward Bound movies in detail. 

• Like 1