UnevenEdge

Apparently, I have a new dog….

Found an abandoned dog (looks like a mix of a boxer and a pitbull) at the park this morning, and my conscience wouldn’t let me leave it.

I’ve been calling around all day, trying to figure out what to do. She does seem to be getting along with my current dog pretty well (though he seems terrified).

Ugh…. I REALLY can’t afford to keep her, but…..advice?

• Thanks 1

Well, you’ve already been on the phone for awhile, but I’d still say find an animal shelter. If you got close family, distant relatives, friends or whatever that can care for the dog, that helps too.

Definitely not a good mixed-breed to just leave behind. You’re better than most for not ignoring it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, [classic swim] said:

Well, you’ve already been on the phone for awhile, but I’d still say find an animal shelter. If you got close family, distant relatives, friends or whatever that can care for the dog, that helps too.

Definitely not a good mixed-breed to just leave behind. You’re better than most for not ignoring it.

My sister said she’d take her, but I’m not 100% on board with that. Nothing against her at all, but she’s got 3 small kids. This dog’s been very friendly & timid since I’ve had it, but that’s only been 6-7 hours.

Thanks for saying that. It’s been a little while since I’ve done a legit good deed. I felt like I needed this one.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The_annoying_one said:

My sister said she’d take her, but I’m not 100% on board with that. Nothing against her at all, but she’s got 3 small kids. This dog’s been very friendly & timid since I’ve had it, but that’s only been 6-7 hours.

Thanks for saying that. It’s been a little while since I’ve done a legit good deed. I felt like I needed this one.

Yeah, you’re better than me in that situation.

I’m not gonna get into the politics of whether anyone should own those type of dogs in the first place, but I at least wish some of the owners weren’t so fucking careless.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The_annoying_one said:

Found an abandoned dog (looks like a mix of a boxer and a pitbull) at the park this morning, and my conscience wouldn’t let me leave it.

I’ve been calling around all day, trying to figure out what to do. She does seem to be getting along with my current dog pretty well (though he seems terrified).

Ugh…. I REALLY can’t afford to keep her, but…..advice?

It's a pain, but have you found any rescues that work specifically with pits and pit-mixes?  You might want to ask the local shelter if they know of any.  I just Googled this: https://www.pbrc.net/rescue-organizations.html.  It might help.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, [classic swim] said:

Yeah, you’re better than me in that situation.

I’m not gonna get into the politics of whether anyone should own those type of dogs in the first place, but I at least wish some of the owners weren’t so fucking careless.

I actually agree with you 100% on this. I normally would avoid a dog like this, but….meh…

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

It's a pain, but have you found any rescues that work specifically with pits and pit-mixes?  You might want to ask the local shelter if they know of any.  I just Googled this: https://www.pbrc.net/rescue-organizations.html.  It might help.

I will definitely look into this. Thank you so much, man.

• Like 1

I have basically no knowledge of dogs, but I had a friend who had two pits, both incredibly friendly (one of them would ALWAYS lick my hand whenever I came to my friend's house). From what I understand there's not really anything inherently violent in pits, it's just the way their owners train them that make them violent. But take this with a grain of salt too, because again, my knowledge of dogs is virtually nil. It would probably be good to look into, though.

• Like 1

The thing is... dogs of any medium to large breed can not only be violent, but potentially kill a human.  If you end up watching Cesar Milan's shows (and can stand his periodic pontification), it's a little easier to see how human behavior has a fairly generic effect on dogs across all breeds.  Pitbulls (constituted of a few similar breeds) get most of their bad reputation from the fact they were often used by illegal dog fighters and their tenacity in the ring was glorified by elements of street culture.

• Thanks 1

So for advice I'll tell you how I kind of handle this since idk how your area is, but ever since  Covid and other econimic set backs the city I live in has went from bad to worse...well imo unacceptable to down right wtf when it comes to stray/loose/ abandoned dogs. Fortunately there's a local lost and found pets group on facebook I frequent, and I always try to get a pic of the animal and see if the owner or someone they know recognizes the animal.

From there we have a charity type organization called Paws Pets, and they take stray animals and either find fosters for them or don't...(Your gonna want to know if your local animal shelter is a kill shelter or not if you have a conscience before calling the pound) I've seen posts where they are somehow getting an animal from here to a foster in Alaska..

They will also help people foster their rescues by buying pet food for them etc from what I've seen. Definitely reach out over social media etc and try to figure out if there are any groups or resources like this in your area. 

Edited by PhilosipherStoned
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

So for advice I'll tell you how I kind of handle this since idk how your area is, but ever since  Covid and other econimic set backs the city I live in has went from bad to worse...well imo unacceptable to down right wtf when it comes to stray/loose/ abandoned dogs. Fortunately there's a local lost and found pets group on facebook I frequent, and I always try to get a pic of the animal and see if the owner or someone they know recognizes the animal.

From there we have a charity type organization called Paws pets, and they take stray animals and either find fosters for them... I've seen posts where they are somehow getting an animal from here to a foster in Alaska.. They will also help people foster their rescues by buying pet food for them etc from what I've seen.

Definitely reach out over social media etc and try to figure out if there are any groups or resources like this in your area. 

I should’ve mentioned this in the OP, but it somehow slipped my mind. When I found the dog, it did have a collar and leash, but no kind of ID. I’m pretty sure the previous “owner” abandoned it because she appeared to have been there a while.

My sister has been helping me out tremendously by calling whatever places I haven’t, and she posted about it in some local FB group. The dog will be staying with me tonight, but I’m hoping someone comes forward tomorrow. And my sister said she’d take the dog if no one comes forward.

So far, none of the places I’ve reached out to have returned my calls. I’m not giving up, though. This dog deserves a good home. I just don’t think mine is the right fit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_annoying_one said:

I should’ve mentioned this in the OP, but it somehow slipped my mind. When I found the dog, it did have a collar and leash, but no kind of ID. I’m pretty sure the previous “owner” abandoned it because she appeared to have been there a while.

My sister has been helping me out tremendously by calling whatever places I haven’t, and she posted about it in some local FB group. The dog will be staying with me tonight, but I’m hoping someone comes forward tomorrow. And my sister said she’d take the dog if no one comes forward.

So far, none of the places I’ve reached out to have returned my calls. I’m not giving up, though. This dog deserves a good home. I just don’t think mine is the right fit.

I understand. I've only recently began to be more involved in with Paws.. I think it's mostly volunteer aside from certain aspects... The main goal is saving animals from being euthanized at the local pound or at a kill shelter exceeding capacity...Which most animal shelters everywhere stay that way these days and it sucks. If I didn't have a female dog for like 15 years that I wanted to breed I'd have taken in a lot of rescues I'm sure. 

I still got my dumpster kitty though. I remember thinking it was going to be a problem when I couldn't find a home for him because the cat was so skittish, but after a few days of acclimating when I let my dog in he went straight to the cat smelled of him and started getting really excited like "You got me a kitty fuck yeah! Kitty!" He's a border collie so if I could put words to his actions... Yeah something like that...

• Like 1

This is the first time I’ve ever done this. But you just pinpointed exactly why I did. I will do everything I can (which really isn’t much 😢) to make sure this dog is not euthanized.

The main thing I’m worried about is her not getting along with my first dog. She’s chased him around some, but I think he’s pretty scared. I can’t blame him, though. I think he’s still got PTSD from being attacked and nearly killed last October. I do too, if I’m being honest. But that’s beside the point.

I’m sure they’ll get along pretty well as time goes by. That’s my hope anyway.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The_annoying_one said:

This is the first time I’ve ever done this. But you just pinpointed exactly why I did. I will do everything I can (which really isn’t much 😢) to make sure this dog is not euthanized.

The main thing I’m worried about is her not getting along with my first dog. She’s chased him around some, but I think he’s pretty scared. I can’t blame him, though. I think he’s still got PTSD from being attacked and nearly killed last October. I do too, if I’m being honest. But that’s beside the point.

I’m sure they’ll get along pretty well as time goes by. That’s my hope anyway.

It's pretty surprising seeing how dogs react to each other over time. If that's your main concern then just give it time. I wouldn't be surprised if they become inseperable even if your first dog is pea sized. If that's the case he'll realize having a titan friend comes with advantages outdoors. 😄

I mean or not.. but you can't expect your current pet to get along with it right of the bat that never happens. I mean with me taking in the cat the cats hissing and petrified when I finally got brave enough to let them meet, but these days my cat doesn't even feel safe going outside without my dog, and usually makes sure he has a quick escape route if he isnt present. 

Edited by PhilosipherStoned
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

It's pretty surprising seeing how dogs react to each other over time. If that's your main concern then just give it time. I wouldn't be surprised if they become inseperable even if your first dog is pea sized. If that's the case he'll realize having a titan friend comes with advantages outdoors. 😄

I mean or not.. but you can't expect your current pet to get along with it right of the bat that never happens. I mean with me taking in the cat the cats hissing and petrified when I finally got brave enough to let them meet, but these days my cat doesn't even feel safe going outside without my dog, and usually makes sure he has a quick escape route if he isnt present. 

I get what you’re saying, and you’re right. My small dog has always been really friendly, for the most part. He’s just been pretty skittish around the new one. They’ll come around, I’m sure.
This new dog seems to be the same. She just plays a little rougher than I like. And she’s been steadily trying to chew up almost everything I own. 
I’m gonna have to really work to train both dogs if I decide to keep her. And right now, it’s looking like I probably will. It’s gonna be tight financially, but I’ll figure something out. I always do.

• Thanks 1

I’m beginning to think I’ve made a terrible mistake here.

I can’t handle this new dog at all. She’s as sweet as she can be most of the time, other than occasionally trying to bite me, and relentlessly chasing my other utterly petrified dog around, to the point that I have to keep them separated at all times.

Taking her outside is a struggle because she just pulls me around and she almost never pees or poops outside. Getting her in her kennel to sleep every night is next to impossible. And the CONSTANT barking/whining between both of my dogs…..

I don’t think I’m really looking for advice here, though I would gladly take some. I’m just beyond stressed out & venting…..

1 hour ago, The_annoying_one said:

I’m beginning to think I’ve made a terrible mistake here.

I can’t handle this new dog at all. She’s as sweet as she can be most of the time, other than occasionally trying to bite me, and relentlessly chasing my other utterly petrified dog around, to the point that I have to keep them separated at all times.

Taking her outside is a struggle because she just pulls me around and she almost never pees or poops outside. Getting her in her kennel to sleep every night is next to impossible. And the CONSTANT barking/whining between both of my dogs…..

I don’t think I’m really looking for advice here, though I would gladly take some. I’m just beyond stressed out & venting…..

Is your sister an option?