UnevenEdge

Music you grew up with...because you had to...

tsar4

Not the stuff of your own choosing, but what were your parents listening to that you heard repeatedly?

As for me:

rock & roll: Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Rivers, The Ventures, Elvis, Neil Diamond, assorted 50s & early 60s groups on 45s

crooners/singers: Andy Williams, Johnny Mathis, Ray Conniff Singers, Tennessee Ernie Ford

instrumental: Ferrante & Teicher, music from James Bond movies, Tom (Tomlinson) & Jerry (Kennedy)

folk music: The Kingston Trio, The Limeliters, The Chad Mitchell Trio, Simon & Garfunkel

polka music: Frankie Yankovic, The Naturals, The Hi-Tops, The Ampol Aires, Lil Wally, Johnny Bomba, The Polka Chips, Ron Terry

My parents loved classic rock so I was exposed to The Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones, The Beatles (both together as a group and as solo artists), the Doors, Blood, Sweat, and Tears, Procol Harum, Dan Fogelberg (because of my mom), the Bee Gees (because of my mom), the Moody Blues, Dire Straits (because of my brothers as well), Elton John, The Eagles, Joe Walsh, Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Bob Dylan, Golden Earring, and a myriad of others. (And I would be remiss if I didn't mention ZZ Top.)

My brother Teddy would play Def Leppard, Van Halen, Skid Row, and Bon Jovi a lot before going through a phase where he liked more pop-oriented stuff as well as some Country music artists that were popular at the time, like Garth Brooks and George Strait. Then, he got real big into the Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, White Zombie, Bush (at least their first few albums), Seven Mary Three, Our Lady Peace, Pantera, and a few others. (He liked Metallica some, too, but not as much as did when he was in high school.)

• Like 1

Dad played Randy Travis a lot. Any Randy Travis is too much in my book, but I think even somebody that was randy for some Travis would have lost their fucking minds due to the frequency at which my father played that shit. The amount of mornings I was rudely woken to "Three Wooden Crosses" was astronomical. What a stupid fucking song. Just...Jesus tap dancing Christ what a stupid fucking song. But what do I expect from some swamp-billy that would legitimately jam out to some Harry Chapin song about some stupid fucking truck spilling tens of thousands of pounds of bananas and tell me all the good music that will ever exist has already been made and then backpedal on that every time he heard new music, especially any time Brad Paisley released a new song involving product placement. 

• Haha 1

@tsar4

If it makes you feel any better - Percy Faith and his orchestra, Johnny Mathis, the Mantovani orchestra, the Living Strings...Basically, the kind of music that makes you slow down and look at cows and stone fences when you're driving.

Also, Harry Belafonte - my mother loved calypso.

Edited by mthor
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mthor said:

@tsar4

If it makes you feel any better - Percy Faith and his orchestra, Johnny Mathis, the Mantovani orchestra, the Living Strings...Basically, the kind of music that makes you slow down and look at cows and stone fences when you're driving.

Also, Harry Belafonte - my mother loved calypso.

My Mom had a Belafonte LP.  I'd forgotten that one.  I think my grandparents had Living Strings (and Lawrence Welk). 

• 5 weeks later...

a lot of the 50's doo'op. 

mum was into country, dolly, tammy, loretta. charlie pride. 

sam cook, early marvin. i guess all of motown, tbh.

later, meatloaf, r.e.o. some other pop'esque.

all the classical, some operas, some musicals.

Edited by discolé monade
forgot something.
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Worse than what my parents were listening to was the music played on the bus ride home. The only station the driver ever played was 100% country, which I had never been a fan of but by the end of my elementary years I couldn't stand it. That's all I'd hear the 25 minutes to school and the 60 minutes back. I now have an almost visceral reaction to it.