UnevenEdge

My Hero Academia remains doubled up for a 7th week in a row for 4/15 but with a twist

The MHA double up continues, but we will NOT finish the season on 4/15. Instead, episode 23 will rerun in the lead slot, followed by the premier of episode 24. 

Presumably, this will repeat the following week. 24 reruns, then 25 airs the finale. Then, the 29th we get AoT, and the week after that is when Genndy’s rerun starts. It’s premiering on Thursday with 2 episodes, so that covers both slots for that week. 

2AE32215-7E68-4648-9FDA-30A973D6D3B3.jpeg

Well that’s some weak sauce but it’s the easiest way to buy time so I’m not surprised.

This could potentially cause some problems for viewers who don’t keep tabs on the schedule. When they tune in on April 15th and are greeted with an unexpected rerun they would likely assume MHA won’t premiere an episode that night. Maybe Toonami will even goof and promote the new episode for midnight instead of 12:30.

BTW AS Saturday is changing up pre-Toonami next week. Futurama x 2 Rick x 2  Royal Crackers x 1 and American Dad x 3. That’s certainly more interesting than 4 x Hill but also means they can easily slide 2 x Hill into 7pm in May and not shift Toonami up to 11pm but it could go either way.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 1:15 AM, Sketch said:

This could potentially cause some problems for viewers who don’t keep tabs on the schedule. When they tune in on April 15th and are greeted with an unexpected rerun they would likely assume MHA won’t premiere an episode that night. Maybe Toonami will even goof and promote the new episode for midnight instead of 12:30.

Who are these hypothetical Toonami viewers who are completely technically illiterate that you're so worried about? Like, I'm pretty sure most people under the age of 40 would have the sense to hit the on-screen guide and check the schedule instead of just immediately giving up on the night entirely.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

Who are these hypothetical Toonami viewers who are completely technically illiterate that you're so worried about? Like, I'm pretty sure most people under the age of 40 would have the sense to hit the on-screen guide and check the schedule instead of just immediately giving up on the night entirely.

Every single time Toonami has an oddball schedule, I see people scream and shout in confusion about why things aren’t how they normally are. And that’s when Toonami actually advertises it. I don’t understand why so many people are entirely helpless in this day and age, but they are. A huge portion of the audience seems to only know the schedule up to the slot currently airing. 

It was a big marketing blunder to not advertise MHA running for an hour for 2 months. I don’t know why they wasted an opportunity for that. Especially now seeing that report that MHA is credited with pumping the blocks numbers in recent months. Easily would have been more with promotion. 

It’s a little old, but guides and such did exist back then. Here’s a classic compilation of Tumblr users baffled at why AoT didn’t air one week. Never underestimate how dumb people can be. 

CD577F7F-E861-4608-BA8F-DA7ED9463AA5.png

5 hours ago, Sketch said:

Yeah I don't think I'm under-selling the ineptitude of the casual Toonami watcher. It's easy to just look at the channel guide but its just as easy to just tune out the moment they see the first airing is a rerun.

Yet they insisted the NOW NEXT LATER bumps were of little value anymore

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Well, this is interesting...

https://fb.watch/jT00lVE6Ip/?mibextid=6aamW6

Wonder what's airing at 12:30 then...?

This happens a lot. I feel like the team in charge of promos is entirely separate from the team who schedules. They had to make a late promo this week and obviously did not get the memo that it’s not at midnight this week. 

And you never know, they may do this intentionally to try to salvage viewership for the night. 

Of course they’re not going to get Howard Parker to record “at 12:30” for use in two promos. They probably could have spliced in “at 12:30” from another show promo in the past year but yeah the promo team probably didn’t get the memo. I don’t expect them to fix it next week and this late promo is proof enough they couldn’t air the last episode this week and maybe don’t even have it yet. In fairness to CR they have to make the credits roll for the episode and trim the OP and ED which they don’t have to do for the simuldub video and the episode just came out on Saturday.

Toonami had no choice but to slow their roll but if that wasn’t plan A then you’ve gotta wonder what they were going to do to stall till May 6th for Unicorn. They were probably hoping for Titan a bit sooner but that would still leave a week with nothing for the first hour. So spacing out the last two episodes was probably was plan A as of when they set the date for Unicorn.

I can rationalize not starting a new show two weeks before having to pre-empt for two weeks in a row but if they have nothing new to show in May besides a rerun from Thursdays… Then I might just lose my composure.

Edited by Sketch

11 hours ago, Sketch said:

Of course they’re not going to get Howard Parker to record “at 12:30” for use in two promos.

So instead they are just going to blatantly advertise wrong? I’d rather believe they simply made a mistake over them intentionally doing it wrong. And like I said, this is far from the first time they advertised wrong, and in the past they actually did get the guy to come in an say 12:30. I doubt they will this time, but that’s a silly excuse.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

still no clue what's gonna be airing after next saturday....

Business as usual unfortunately. We should hear something by the end of the week. Though, you’d think having like 2 months of preparation for this, they could have gotten this schedule out on time. 

3 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Business as usual unfortunately. We should hear something by the end of the week. Though, you’d think having like 2 months of preparation for this, they could have gotten this schedule out on time. 

“LOL we asked the same company that’s told us no 100 times a 101st time and they said no again! Sorry! Maybe next time they’ll say yes!” 

Edited by brianycpht

37 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

what if it's something that WBD themselves have a hand in and Toonami just isn't allowed to announce it until they give them permission to do so?

If the 4/29 schedule includes the long episode of Attack on Titan (as it should) then Toonami won’t be able to announce it until Crunchyroll says the dub will stream 4/30.

And since 5/6 will inevitably include the one hour encore of Unicorn: Warriors Eternal they’re going to take their time revealing the 5/13 schedule. They aren’t likely to post that schedule till Thursday the 27th or Friday the 28th.

Best guess, at least the 4/29 schedule is confirmed on Friday the 21st and maybe also the 5/6 schedule.

And if they still can’t air that Titan episode then it’ll be another stall tactic, possibly a DC movie or *shudders* more MHA reruns. It would be a good week to run the Dr. Stone TV special come to think of it.

4 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

what if it's something that WBD themselves have a hand in and Toonami just isn't allowed to announce it until they give them permission to do so?

Still dumb cause they know better than anyone that their schedules go live 2 weeks out. At least with AoT we can give them some benefit of the doubt that CR is being a jackass about it. 

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

If the 4/29 schedule includes the long episode of Attack on Titan (as it should) then Toonami won’t be able to announce it until Crunchyroll says the dub will stream 4/30.

And since 5/6 will inevitably include the one hour encore of Unicorn: Warriors Eternal they’re going to take their time revealing the 5/13 schedule. They aren’t likely to post that schedule till Thursday the 27th or Friday the 28th.

Best guess, at least the 4/29 schedule is confirmed on Friday the 21st and maybe also the 5/6 schedule.

And if they still can’t air that Titan episode then it’ll be another stall tactic, possibly a DC movie or *shudders* more MHA reruns. It would be a good week to run the Dr. Stone TV special come to think of it.

If Titan is the 4/29 answer, I won’t hold it against them too much for that being late since it’s news is directly tied to CR. Beyond that, I’m not affording them any further leeway. They have been burning off MHA for 2 months now, the paperwork for its replacement should have been settled weeks ago, if not months. There is absolutely no reason to not have a double schedule reveal. One week for Genndy’s thing, and the following week for what takes the other slot after the double premier. Don’t leave us hanging, we have been strung along week to week long enough.

I don’t even want to contemplate that they have nothing to fill 12:30 starting May 13th. They’ve had months to get something and even if they are saving a chunk of change for Bleach they’ve only bought Food Wars so far this year and surely have money for at least one more acquisition for the Summer. Hopefully it’s good.

But if they’re banking on a quick turnaround for Dr. Stone season 3 for May 13th *nervous laughter*

13 hours ago, Sketch said:

I don’t even want to contemplate that they have nothing to fill 12:30 starting May 13th. They’ve had months to get something and even if they are saving a chunk of change for Bleach they’ve only bought Food Wars so far this year and surely have money for at least one more acquisition for the Summer. Hopefully it’s good.

But if they’re banking on a quick turnaround for Dr. Stone season 3 for May 13th *nervous laughter*

For Dr Stone and other possible CR pickups, we also have to consider how CR has taken what AS did with MHA here. They made them stall with reruns for 5 weeks before it started, for no discernible reason other than putting a larger gap between the CR dub release and Toonami airing. Doubling down once or twice probably wouldn’t have been anything to sweat, but 6 weeks in a row to an end of only being 2 weeks behind the simuldub may put the block into another CR embargo scenario. 

An optimistic viewpoint would be that CR encouraged them to blast through MHA to get on Dr Stone or something else, but so far we have seen absolutely no evidence CR would do something like that for the block, so I find it difficult to think positively when it comes to CR. 

I don’t think CR cares that much about the MHA speed up. They had a long head start and surely didn’t lose potential viewers to Toonami that weren’t already willing to wait for Toonami.

If anything they might have been a bit annoyed that they needed to have people translate and format the credits faster toward the end of the run when for months they had plenty of time to get that done before broadcast.

But I also don’t think they encouraged Toonami to speed up to make room for something else.

Edited by Sketch

37 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I don’t think CR cares that much about the MHA speed up. They had a long head start and surely didn’t lose potential viewers to Toonami that weren’t already willing to wait for Toonami.

If anything they might have been a bit annoyed that they needed to have people translate and format the credits faster toward the end of the run when for months they had plenty of time to get that done before broadcast.

But I also don’t think they encouraged Toonami to speed up to make room for something else.

Realistically, airing any of their shows on the block has little, if any effect on potential CR viewers. But that hasn’t stopped them from being petty as hell about it since 2018. CR still has a long way to go to prove that they are a supportive ally to the block. 

True, CR most definitely are far from being an ally right now. I just don’t think the speed up will make them any less cooperative.

So I looked back to February of 2022 to remember when they posted the announcement for Titan Final season part 2 and it looks like that schedule was revealed eight days before broadcast. I expect a similar lead up time for the announcement of the special episode.

To think that Toonami was able to surprise announce Titan season 2 on April 1st 2017 right when the first episode of the sub dropped and 3 weeks prior to the dub premiere. Season 3 was announced for Toonami before it even started airing in Japan (but not before it was previewed overseas at AX and in theaters) and season 3 part 2 and the Final season part 1 were also announced for Toonami before the simulcast started.

Now they can’t even give 2 week’s notice because CR doesn’t want anyone to know it will air on Toonami before it streams so we are left wondering if Toonami even has the rights to air it until just 8 days before it airs.

Edited by Sketch

37 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

I Have my Doubts that CR is entirely to blame for the mysterious schedule situation....it's easy to say that's the problem

but to act like there's no other explanation is more than a little silly

It tracks with their prior behavior unfortunately. Toonami can’t legally say anything about something airing until CR lets them and CR is the type of company that usually announces things just a few days before they stream with some exceptions.

But it could also be the case that Toonami isn’t sure the Titan special will be ready to air on 4/29 and that’s more so why they aren’t confirming anything yet.

What I mentioned shows the stark contrast of prior years when Toonami was allowed to announce Titan weeks ahead of broadcast and even before the Japanese broadcast on two occasions. They didn’t have to hold back on telling us they secured the next season even though it was basically a foregone conclusion that they had it. FUNimation let Toonami give plenty of notice when a new season was coming. The current CR is even worse at giving advanced notice of most things than Toonami is in general and that’s saying something. I can cut CR at least some slack with that though because they have a LOT more shows to promote every year than Adult Swim does. CR could stand to loosen up about letting Toonami hype up shows sooner though.

They had dang well better let Toonami announce it by this weekend. Less than a week’s promotion for a pretty major event is really a waste.

Unrelated to that, it seems Unicorn will encore Fridays at 7pm. That means not counting late night/early morning encores that Toonami would be the third airing in 3 days. I do think Unicorn should rerun in prime time but that’s sure not doing Toonami any favors if it’s going to be the lead show in May, even if the 7pm airing is much less likely to get noticed compared to a potential Toonami airing.

8 minutes ago, Sketch said:

It tracks with their prior behavior unfortunately. Toonami can’t legally say anything about something airing until CR lets them and CR is the type of company that usually announces things just a few days before they stream with some exceptions.

But it could also be the case that Toonami isn’t sure the Titan special will be ready to air on 4/29 and that’s more so why they aren’t confirming anything yet.

What I mentioned shows the stark contrast of prior years when Toonami was allowed to announce Titan weeks ahead of broadcast and even before the Japanese broadcast on two occasions. They didn’t have to hold back on telling us they secured the next season even though it was basically a foregone conclusion that they had it. FUNimation let Toonami give plenty of notice when a new season was coming. The current CR is even worse at giving advanced notice of most things than Toonami is in general and that’s saying something. I can cut CR at least some slack with that though because they have a LOT more shows to promote every year than Adult Swim does. CR could stand to loosen up about letting Toonami hype up shows sooner though.

They had dang well better let Toonami announce it by this weekend. Less than a week’s promotion for a pretty major event is really a waste.

Unrelated to that, it seems Unicorn will encore Fridays at 7pm. That means not counting late night/early morning encores that Toonami would be the third airing in 3 days. I do think Unicorn should rerun in prime time but that’s sure not doing Toonami any favors if it’s going to be the lead show in May, even if the 7pm airing is much less likely to get noticed compared to a potential Toonami airing.

I can’t tell you how many times CR announced a shows dubbed starting “tomorrow” in the last little while

i think Unicorn is going to be one of those shows they are marketing to every potential audience. AS casuals, families, Toonami viewers, and streamers.

I feel like the same thing will happen with Superman 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brianycpht said:

I can’t tell you how many times CR announced a shows dubbed starting “tomorrow” in the last little while

i think Unicorn is going to be one of those shows they are marketing to every potential audience. AS casuals, families, Toonami viewers, and streamers.

I feel like the same thing will happen with Superman 

Well Many Dubbed Shows Did Just Wrap up(Either entirely or just for the season)not that long ago so the release schedule has been needing a recharge

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sketch said:

He was playing it up trying to get a rise out of DeMarco because someone dares them to.

It’s kinda funny that Demarco actually bit the bait though. It’s very obviously an insincere post but he took it seriously anyway.

5 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

Ok, but why was this NEVER a thing prior to around 2020? There were the occasional hiccups, like Mob and Food Wars, but when those happened, they gave us a reason that made them outliers. These days, we never get schedules on time. Now and then, the schedules don’t even have anything new on them. 

It’s really hard to believe that nearly every schedule update for the past 3 years or so has been late because Japan wouldn’t let them announce. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Not a peep from Crunchyroll about when the dub for the Attack on Titan will go up so even 8 days out Toonami’s hands are stilled tied.

Maybe it will go up on Facebook later this afternoon? Or perhaps be promoted ON TOONAMI tomorrow night kinda like it should be?

4 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Maybe it will go up on Facebook later this afternoon? Or perhaps be promoted ON TOONAMI tomorrow night kinda like it should be?

As much as I like on air reveals, Toonami really needs some W’s right now. We are on the edge of it being May and have only had a single thing added to the block since the start of the year. AoT will probably be one of their biggest things of the year, 7 or less days of promotion is no good. Plus, announcements are usually made during the first show, which a lot of people will likely skip this week. 

We still have a few hours left for something to go up on Facebook, let’s hope something appears. 

At this point I wouldn't count on a reveal on air tomorrow. They either have to run the Titan special with less than a week's notice or do something else with less than a week's notice. Probably just gonna be 2 reruns of MHA if they don't want to double up Food Wars and/or One Piece one week.

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

Friendly reminder that Demarco initially wanted the schedule of Toonami's revival to remain a secret until the second it aired, as a call-back to the good ol' days of tuning in being the only way to find out what was airing.

Let’s not forget the meltdown he had when people dared to use that old backdoor schedule to see that they had picked up Soul Eater. Or that time that food truck told us they got Parasyte. There are plenty of examples where they could have made announcements and chose not to because of this bizarre obsession with controlling the flow of information as tightly as possible. But hey, at least back in those days they had the decency to stick to the two week thing. It was actually kind of an oddity to have a show announcement delayed to the 2 week mark, but when they were they still made the cutoff. 

59 minutes ago, Sketch said:

At this point I wouldn't count on a reveal on air tomorrow. They either have to run the Titan special with less than a week's notice or do something else with less than a week's notice. Probably just gonna be 2 reruns of MHA if they don't want to double up Food Wars and/or One Piece one week.

It’s either ready or it isnt, they should already know. If it’s not ready for the 29th, that’s really gonna botch up their Unicorn Warriors plan. 

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Let’s not forget the meltdown he had when people dared to use that old backdoor schedule to see that they had picked up Soul Eater. Or that time that food truck told us they got Parasyte. There are plenty of examples where they could have made announcements and chose not to because of this bizarre obsession with controlling the flow of information as tightly as possible. But hey, at least back in those days they had the decency to stick to the two week thing. It was actually kind of an oddity to have a show announcement delayed to the 2 week mark, but when they were they still made the cutoff. 

It’s either ready or it isnt, they should already know. If it’s not ready for the 29th, that’s really gonna botch up their Unicorn Warriors plan. 

They can simply preempt everything but Unicorn on whatever Saturday the Titan special is ready.

It would have been best to use April 29th for Titan but it’s not the only night they can work it in.

Works out well enough if it waits till May 13th but they could even make it work on May 6th whether or not they choose to lead Toonami with Unicorn 3peats or toss it on at 2am.

But as long as that special is looming but not ready they probably won’t start another show besides Unicorn. So hopefully it’s ready by May 13th but as stupid as it would be, I would not be surprised if it is airing next Saturday and it ends up being a Tuesday, Wednesday or even Thursday announcement because CR isn’t saying anything sooner. They confirmed the dub premiere of Dr. Stone more than a week in advance so they’re not strictly avoiding announcements till a few days before.

Ugh… this state of uncertainty is grating but all we can do is wait and see. Probably best to expect nothing of interest for next Saturday and maybe we’ll be pleasantly surprised with what they actually do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

They can simply preempt everything but Unicorn on whatever Saturday the Titan special is ready.

It would have been best to use April 29th for Titan but it’s not the only night they can work it in.

Works out well enough if it waits till May 13th but they could even make it work on May 6th whether or not they choose to lead Toonami with Unicorn 3peats or toss it on at 2am.

But as long as that special is looming but not ready they probably won’t start another show besides Unicorn. So hopefully it’s ready by May 13th but as stupid as it would be, I would not be surprised if it is airing next Saturday and it ends up being a Tuesday, Wednesday or even Thursday announcement because CR isn’t saying anything sooner. They confirmed the dub premiere of Dr. Stone more than a week in advance so they’re not strictly avoiding announcements till a few days before.

Ugh… this state of uncertainty is grating but all we can do is wait and see. Probably best to expect nothing of interest for next Saturday and maybe we’ll be pleasantly surprised with what they actually do.

The 29th was the cleanest option. Food Wars takes a rest for a week and the open hour up front covers the rest of the time. If they do it the following week, they either have to park it behind an hour of Genndy reruns, completely taking the wind out of its sails, or lead with it and put the Genndy reruns at the end (where they should be) and make everyone mad the following week when they take over midnight. My hopes that AS holds any sanity and would put those reruns in the 2:30 slot are incredibly slim. If they did, AoT can tag in whenever, but yes that would mean either putting the brakes on a new show (those tweets don’t make it seem like any are ready) or just having the lineup continue it’s stall tactics.

Would not be surprised at all if CR is intentionally holding it up just to cause problems. I guess we will find out next week.

10 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

It’s kinda funny that Demarco actually bit the bait though. It’s very obviously an insincere post but he took it seriously anyway.

Ok, but why was this NEVER a thing prior to around 2020? There were the occasional hiccups, like Mob and Food Wars, but when those happened, they gave us a reason that made them outliers. These days, we never get schedules on time. Now and then, the schedules don’t even have anything new on them. 

It’s really hard to believe that nearly every schedule update for the past 3 years or so has been late because Japan wouldn’t let them announce. 

someone on the toonami sub-reddit stated something around the lines of  "It's probably always been like this but we're only noticing it now due to the state of the block....previously We Were always getting new shows and there was no shortage of Toonami News"

now with that not being the case....things seem a lot slower and toonami has very little going on

Toei Seems like The Only Japanese Company Willing to make things easy for Toonami(Hence The Return of One Piece)

Edited by CountFrylock

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

someone on the toonami sub-reddit stated something around the lines of  "It's probably always been like this but we're only noticing it now due to the state of the block....previously We Were always getting new shows and there was no shortage of Toonami News"

now with that not being the case....things seem a lot slower and toonami has very little going on

Toei Seems like The Only Japanese Company Willing to make things easy for Toonami(Hence The Return of One Piece)

That doesn’t make any sense though. If this was always the case, we would have more examples of this in the blocks history. Really, with more frequent content, we logically should have seen more delays like this if they are the norm. And that’s just not the case, it’s a brand new phenomenon that started around 2020. 

Demarco used to say they had almost all their deals done and settled 4-6 months ahead of time. In recent years, every deal feels like it’s still be worked on 4-6 days before it needs to air. There has obviously been some kind of change with how the AS side is doing things. 

And returning to my earlier point about Demarco’s obsession with controlling the news flow, when schedules are running tight, at the very least they could slot the episodes that are NOT new onto the schedule. We are well beyond the point where shows might shuffle around. The rerun, One Piece and Naruto are never moving from their current timeslots. So why do they need to be hidden on the schedules as well? It’s just more slots messed up on DVRs

13 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Maybe, just maybe, Unicorn gets stealth-premiered on the 29th? That would be an interesting move!

Genndy would have a stroke if they did that 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

That doesn’t make any sense though. If this was always the case, we would have more examples of this in the blocks history. Really, with more frequent content, we logically should have seen more delays like this if they are the norm. And that’s just not the case, it’s a brand new phenomenon that started around 2020. 

Demarco used to say they had almost all their deals done and settled 4-6 months ahead of time. In recent years, every deal feels like it’s still be worked on 4-6 days before it needs to air. There has obviously been some kind of change with how the AS side is doing things. 

And returning to my earlier point about Demarco’s obsession with controlling the news flow, when schedules are running tight, at the very least they could slot the episodes that are NOT new onto the schedule. We are well beyond the point where shows might shuffle around. The rerun, One Piece and Naruto are never moving from their current timeslots. So why do they need to be hidden on the schedules as well? It’s just more slots messed up on DVRs

Genndy would have a stroke if they did that 

I Think the problem might stem from the fact that Toonami has such a pathetically small team holding down the fort and one with a lot less money to barter with than previously

Delays And Mistakes are more likely to happen if you barely have anyone working on the team at all

as for genndy...I Think it's about time he accepts that his shows fit more with the toonami crowd than the crowd who falls asleep to rick and morty

Edited by CountFrylock