UnevenEdge

Injustice Discussion

3 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Has that ever been determined?  Has anyone ever stuck a mouse in space to see what happens?  We obviously aren't going to do that experiment with humans.

losing air isn't an instant death. and even after passing out, it's not definitively final if air can be reintroduced. even vaccuum pressure damage takes more than a few minutes to become permanent and debilitating. 

teleport into spae with no air, you're fucked. but if you get teleported back into the earth's atmosphere within a few minutes, cpr can save you.

1 minute ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

losing air isn't an instant death. and even after passing out, it's not definitively final if air can be reintroduced. even vaccuum pressure damage takes more than a few minutes to become permanent and debilitating. 

teleport into spae with no air, you're fucked. but if you get teleported back into the earth's atmosphere within a few minutes, cpr can save you.

Oh ok.  But space is also super cold and full of radiation.  It's not just an absence of air.

Just now, ben0119 said:

Oh ok.  But space is also super cold and full of radiation.  It's not just an absence of air.

i've read it's not as cold as movies like to show us. and even that level of radiation is not immediately lethal. five minutes in space and you'd survive if you got back to safety. but stuff like this makes it seem like it's instantaneous death. Lois, at least would have survived. f there had bee a bomb in her heart or if superman's initial charge had done too much blunt force trauma, that's one thing. but just the exposure to space? he could have saved her easily with quick action

2 minutes ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

i've read it's not as cold as movies like to show us. and even that level of radiation is not immediately lethal. five minutes in space and you'd survive if you got back to safety. but stuff like this makes it seem like it's instantaneous death. Lois, at least would have survived. f there had bee a bomb in her heart or if superman's initial charge had done too much blunt force trauma, that's one thing. but just the exposure to space? he could have saved her easily with quick action

It is closer to absolute zero in the shade and hundreds of degrees in the sunlight. there is no air to mediate temps. 

The zero pressures are the biggest threat to imminent death though 

Edited by atomicinumatt
  • Like 1

Just now, atomicinumatt said:

It is closer to absolute zero in the shade and hundreds of degrees in the sunlight. there is not air to mediate temps. 

The zero pressures are the biggest threat to imminent death though 

i've read it causes slow, painful swelling in the human body and that returning to a pressurized atmosphere within a few minutes can prevent the worst of it and render the damage reversible. and they say it would take a few hours for a body to freeze

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

It was my understanding that the areas without sunlight are super cold, and the ones in sunlight are super hot (depending on the distance from the sun,) since there is no air or atmosphere to even things out.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/7012560/how-cold-is-space-exactly-and-how-do-we-measure-it/

Yeesh, negative 150 degrees sounds pretty cold to me.

But I suppose it is possible Louis could have survived.

• Thanks 1

Just now, CorbeauKarasu said:

i've read it causes slow, painful swelling in the human body and that returning to a pressurized atmosphere within a few minutes can prevent the worst of it and render the damage reversible. and they say it would take a few hours for a body to freeze

Exactly, it is the lack of atmospheric pressure that would kill first. Extreme temperatures later. 

The lack of pressures would cause hemorrhaging that would cause a bleed out in minutes or less. 

• Like 1