UnevenEdge

Indiana Jones 5

Raptorpat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have no idea what to think yet.  The de-aging they used is marvelous, but I dont know about the story.  I guess the one good thing is that at least going into it we wont be shocked by aliens. We know this is a time travel movie so we shouldnt be too shocked by anything that happens.

I really do hope this is good. Going off of the every-other-movie-is-good formula this should be good.

3 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

we wont be shocked by aliens

I still maintain that the alien mcguffin could have worked in 4 just as well as the religious mcguffins in 1-3 if the movie wasn't such a George Lucas-dominated CGI fest. 

Like I think the concept on paper was fine, but because no one had the energy or willingness to challenge a prequel-era George Lucas mad with power, it turned into... a trek though a CGI jungle to save a CGI alien who eye-humps Cate Blanchett until she turns to CGI dust. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2023 at 6:21 PM, ZoomBubba said:

Gonna bomb hard. This is going to be like the Willow series in that Disney is just desperately revitalizing franchises there is just no real demand for. 

they seem very adamant that this is the character's last outing and that no one else will be cast in the roll. the real question is whether this is intended to tee up a 'successor' protagonist to keep the franchise alive the way George Lucas tried to tease Mutt at the end of KotCS.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2023 at 10:42 PM, Raptorpat said:

they seem very adamant that this is the character's last outing and that no one else will be cast in the roll. the real question is whether this is intended to tee up a 'successor' protagonist to keep the franchise alive the way George Lucas tried to tease Mutt at the end of KotCS.

At this point Lucasfilm is pretty much a zombie that they're trying to find some sort of life in. They've somehow managed to take something like Star Wars and make it feel like less of an event than the next season of the Kardashians. Someone there thought that there was a big audience for Willow, a movie with an extended universe that encompassed only three novels if I remember correctly. The new Indiana Jones film's trailers feel like they have no idea who they're trying to appeal to and just hoping for more nostalgia audiences. 

I just don't think teenagers and 20-somethings are going to turn out for a movie headlined by an 80-something year old and a late-30s British woman. The people of the age demographic who would be interested don't really go to theaters and are content to wait months for movies to show up on a streaming service or Red Box. 

After Indiana Jones, I have no idea what's left of Lucasfilm. New management maybe?

4 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

Par for the course with Disney, their experts at erasing history to fit their stories (Star Wars, Toy Story to name a few). Any and all interest I had after this has gone down.

Is it so hard to stick to the story as it already is? If they can't do that, then hire new writers.

Edited by LoverDemon

• 1 month later...

That was a current events joke.

But anyways I saw it last night. Unfortunately had to step out and missed 15 minutes during the NY segment because of sudden onset poop explosion, and when I got back everyone was in Tangier so I felt a little off most of the rest of the time.

Given the context, I don't know if my opinion is colored with brown-tinted glasses, but I didn't think it was terrible or super great either. It won't be hyper classic nor hyper ridiculed.

The CGI during the WWII segment was good in some scenes, uncanny in others, but if you're not grading it on the effects it works fine. Present day old Indy isn't doing completely age-defying action stunts.

I do like this macguffin and the macguffin's "magic" twist, but I'm debating whether or not it needed to be less explicit. I fall fully in the camp that Crystal Skull's macguffin was fine outside of the literal CGI alien eye-humping Cate Blanchett into dust, but at the same time the Nazis in Raiders died from literal cartoon ghosts so we gotta be honest that it's always been like that. But I did find myself thinking on the ride home what other ways they could've handled it in different ways.

I don't see myself seeing it again in theaters (less a dig on the movie moreso that I never go to the movies to begin with) but I'll probably watch it again when it hits D+ and it will end up on my "oh hey it's on cable gotta put it on in the background" shortlist.

Shit  s u c k e d.

1st half of Crystal Skull is better than anything in Dial, but Dial's finale is an all timer minus 

Spoiler

cheap villian death and Phoebe punching Indy back to the present... WHAT?? This is Indy's movie and this bitch practically robbed him of any decision making as if he was living in a retirement home.

The final 20 minutes is not enough to save this thing though. The series ended with Last Crusade (which in itself was a step down from Raiders and Doom).