UnevenEdge

Warner Bros Discovery nearing deal to send all DC animation to Amazon, and out of Cartoon Network/Toonami’s reach

Jman

53 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

Damn, so this is bye bye to any DC animation? 

Bye bye to it’s chances of being on Toonami. I don’t think it’s going to stop being made entirely. 

It’s not like the block had a good working partnership with DC anyway. They gave us 4-6 movies per year at best, to be aired at a time rarely convenient for Toonami. 

2 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Bye bye to it’s chances of being on Toonami. I don’t think it’s going to stop being made entirely. 

It’s not like the block had a good working partnership with DC anyway. They gave us 4-6 movies per year at best, to be aired at a time rarely convenient for Toonami. 

Still sad to see it go. I was always happy to watch a movie night or something with DC content. 

18 hours ago, atomicinumatt said:

Still sad to see it go. I was always happy to watch a movie night or something with DC content. 

I don’t think this means the end of HBO Max and DC event shilling for Toonami but it crushes remaining hopes of regularly airing DC shows. Not there was much reason to expect that but Amazon will pay way more than Adult Swim can afford. So there’s all the more not to throw Toonami a bone.

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2022 at 3:32 PM, Sketch said:

I don’t think this means the end of HBO Max and DC event shilling for Toonami but it crushes remaining hopes of regularly airing DC shows. Not there was much reason to expect that but Amazon will pay way more than Adult Swim can afford. So there’s all the more not to throw Toonami a bone.

So... it's going to be harder for Toonami to get something from their own company, but that same company will turn around and license it to someone else?  So odd.

On 12/3/2022 at 11:45 PM, ben0119 said:

So... it's going to be harder for Toonami to get something from their own company, but that same company will turn around and license it to someone else?  So odd.

It all comes down to money and how little of it WBD will give to Adult Swim compared to how much money another company is willing to spend for DC content. Synergy be darned, Warner has always operated its networks by a fend for yourself mentality.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

If this DC Animation thing really IS going to sunset after 3 solid pandemic-addled years, it would be best if Toonami pays tribute to Kevin Conroy by airing his final Batman work, The Killing Joke, sometime this Holiday season.

I think it's on HBO Max, and it's rated R but it's just as tame as some of the Batman stuff Toonami has already aired over the previous 2 years!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 2

On 12/5/2022 at 10:57 PM, Sketch said:

It all comes down to money and how little of it WBD will give to Adult Swim compared to how much money another company is willing to spend for DC content. Synergy be darned, Warner has always operated its networks by a fend for yourself mentality.

Well, in theory, it should be free to them, since they are getting it from their own company.  But there's more money to be made by licensing it out I guess?

7 minutes ago, 3ngag3 said:

Meanwhile, in the RWBYverse...

How Zaslav tolerates Rooster Teeth’s continued existence when they’re a never ending pool of shitty animation, workplace lawsuits, and haven’t produced a new hit IP in years is beyond me.

Just sell RWBY to Shaft so they can reboot it, and burn the rest for the tax write off.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 2:27 AM, Sketch said:

Oh we really are in isekai territory if they’re aging down the Justice League. Why not just use the teenage DC heroes for this instead of making the adults into teens?

Because writing is like…hard man.  Dumb foreigners think they know what they’re doing, but we’re Rooster Teeth!  We’re about the characters!

Imagine if they did sell it to SHAFT.  We almost got SHAFT animating the Justice League, and they probably would have animated the actual Justice League, not these teenagers from the PS2 tie in to Justice League Unlimited.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...