UnevenEdge

RIP Coolio

tsar4

20 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Dude, @tsar4.  It's called sampling, not "ripping off".  The Hip Hop movement was based on local DJs ripping and remixing popular R&B music, often from the Motown era, into new rhythms.  It was a spiritual "sibling" to the new wave movement:  both sought to distill popular music to its most functional elements.

I also want to add that the sampled Stevie Wonder song and Gangsters Paradise are 20 years apart. And then Amish Paradise came out a year later as a direct parody. I do agree that it's a lot more than artists "ripping off" each other.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

I also want to add that the sampled Stevie Wonder song and Gangsters Paradise are 20 years apart. And then Amish Paradise came out a year later as a direct parody. I do agree that it's a lot more than artists "ripping off" each other.

That doesn't really matter.  Sampling is a form of appreciation in that context, especially since it boosted some lesser know tunes from the golden age or rock and roll, doo wop, and, Motown.  It was also at least partially a response to the coopting of their music - stripping away a lot of the commercial pop overtones that made the music radio friendly to white ears for the culturally authentic rhythm "heartbeat."  In that respect, what Weird Al did was mocking that deeply personal root, if unintentionally. 

7 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Dude, @tsar4.  It's called sampling, not "ripping off".  The Hip Hop movement was based on local DJs ripping and remixing popular R&B music, often from the Motown era, into new rhythms.  It was a spiritual "sibling" to the new wave movement:  both sought to distill popular music to its most functional elements.

Exactly how is that song a "sample"?  He uses the entire musical portion, not just a "sample".

10 hours ago, tsar4 said:

Exactly how is that song a "sample"?  He uses the entire musical portion, not just a "sample".

Don't play dumb.  Sampling is a foundation for several music genres going all the way back to the '60s, and it involve making "sampled" hooks a central part of a remixed tune.  A sample is any portion of music that is taken from another established tune, modified either in performance or through digital manipulation, and incorporated into a new piece.  The earliest forms of sampling were utilized by the pioneers of electronic music where the sample was taken whole cloth and then manipulated.  Hip Hop DJs added a wrinkle of sampling just the rhythm section of a tune and some of the lyrics into a (mostly) spoken word performance, keeping with a tradition in R&B to use relatively standard baselines as a foundation for original music.

4 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Don't play dumb.  Sampling is a foundation for several music genres going all the way back to the '60s, and it involve making "sampled" hooks a central part of a remixed tune.  A sample is any portion of music that is taken from another established tune, modified either in performance or through digital manipulation, and incorporated into a new piece.  The earliest forms of sampling were utilized by the pioneers of electronic music where the sample was taken whole cloth and then manipulated.  Hip Hop DJs added a wrinkle of sampling just the rhythm section of a tune and some of the lyrics into a (mostly) spoken word performance, keeping with a tradition in R&B to use relatively standard baselines as a foundation for original music.

Who's playing dumb?  I'm merely saying that if you excise the entire musical portion, change the lyrics and just tack on a different refrain or some extra flourish, you aren't sampling.  Hendrix "Star Spangled Banner", not sampling.  Vanilla Ice excising the baseline riff from "Under Pressure", sampling (and annoying).  

Even further back than the 60s. there's the whole composer's doing "Variations on a theme by [some other composer]" thing.  Which is similar to a Jazz musician riffing on some previously recorded song.  

I still haven't picked out where The Verve's "Bittersweet Symphony" is sampling ""Last Time" by the Rolling Stones.  But it isn't one of my favorite Stones songs anyway.

16 hours ago, tsar4 said:

Who's playing dumb?  I'm merely saying that if you excise the entire musical portion, change the lyrics and just tack on a different refrain or some extra flourish, you aren't sampling.  Hendrix "Star Spangled Banner", not sampling.  Vanilla Ice excising the baseline riff from "Under Pressure", sampling (and annoying).  

Even further back than the 60s. there's the whole composer's doing "Variations on a theme by [some other composer]" thing.  Which is similar to a Jazz musician riffing on some previously recorded song.  

I still haven't picked out where The Verve's "Bittersweet Symphony" is sampling ""Last Time" by the Rolling Stones.  But it isn't one of my favorite Stones songs anyway.

Hendrix was playing the national anthem; sampling is taking parts of song to create a different song.  Gangsters Paradise doesn’t sound like the Stevie Wonder original even though it uses the refrain, but it does "sample" key, distinguishable, parts of the music that are copyrighted parts of the original. The definition you're creating for "sampling" simply isn't correct.

Jazz is a completely different beast.  Riffs in jazz solos aren't just taking the theme, they're blending it in to the fabric of the overall piece in a different way.  To look it in this way:  a sample is like using an existing foundation on a demolished house to build a new house on while jazz riffs are like taking ornamental pieces off an old house and using them on a new one.  None of this, of course, addresses the right to use someone else's music which is required regardless of what you call it.