UnevenEdge

Mob Psycho 100 lead will not return due to union dispute with Crunchyroll

matrixman124

A little synopsis: Kyle McCarley who played Mob in Mob Psycho 100 will not return to the role because Crunchyroll refused to comply with union demands since he is a member of SAG-AFTRA. Mob Psycho was originally dubbed by Bang Zoom but since the CR-Funimation merger, it seems that they've become more resistant to union demands since Funimation is in charge of dubbing for CR and has historically been union hostile.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, atomicinumatt said:

Damn, that is sad. I have only read the manga so far but have been planning to get caught up with the anime soon. Guess I will stick with the subs when I do. 

Have they listed a replacement?

They are auditioning the role.

There is an active effort from union VAs to appeal to non-union VAs to not do it. They want to pressure Crunchyroll into relenting.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

They are auditioning the role.

There is an active effort from union VAs to appeal to non-union VAs to not do it. They want to pressure Crunchyroll into relenting.

It worked when Hulu didn’t want to rehire John DiMaggio for Bender.

Well, this stinks. I stand in solidarity with any VA not working on this project, wether they got recast or are passing on it in protest. I also sympathize with everyone cancelling their CR subscriptions over this, but it's awkaard for me because I have a yearly subscription and I paid for mine a while ago. I want to keep watching shows (I was thinking two more episodes of Demi-chans and then I make the next content ratings post... hopefully that's what you were referring to, Poke), but now I have more of an appetite to watch things on other services.

16 hours ago, Jman said:

It worked when Hulu didn’t want to rehire John DiMaggio for Bender.

I heard he got barely a raise from that, maybe even nothing at all. But it did boost his morale because of all the fans who stood with him.

14 hours ago, CaptainStarwind said:

I always hate hearing news like this.  TBH I really hope Funi isn't able to find anyone to fill the role, though I feel that's a bit wishful thinking on my part. 

In other news it's yet another reason for me to never go to Texas (like I already needed one).

It's apparently a great state with lots of great people (many Funi and Sentai VAs among them), but it's ruled by ass-backward politicians, which is nothing new for America. Not to get political or anything, but I hope that state gets bluer in the midterms.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Blatch said:

Well, this stinks. I stand in solidarity with any VA not working on this project, wether they got recast or are passing on it in protest. I also sympathize with everyone cancelling their CR subscriptions over this, but it's awkaard for me because I have a yearly subscription and I paid for mine a while ago. I want to keep watching shows (I was thinking two more episodes of Demi-chans and then I make the next content ratings post... hopefully that's what you were referring to, Poke), but now I have more of an appetite to watch things on other services.

I heard he got barely a raise from that, maybe even nothing at all. But it did boost his morale because of all the fans who stood with him.

It's apparently a great state with lots of great people (many Funi and Sentai VAs among them), but it's ruled by ass-backward politicians, which is nothing new for America. Not to get political or anything, but I hope that state gets bluer in the midterms.

Here's hoping. Texas has very blue cities.

• Like 2

Some research shows Netflix has been using exclusively union actors for anime dubs since 2019, which both explains Gus in Cyberpunk and makes me feel a bit better about them vs this anti-worker practice.

Just a bit.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Blatch said:

I've heard much of the same, actually.  I don't mean to insult anyone (read: most of the people) who live there, my emotions just get the better of me sometimes.

Seriously though fuck CR/Funi.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaptainStarwind said:

I've heard much of the same, actually.  I don't mean to insult anyone (read: most of the people) who live there, my emotions just get the better of me sometimes.

Seriously though fuck CR/Funi.

Yeah my BIL lives in Austin and he's a software engineer who is very much a blue voter. Its not all crazy gun nuts there.

• Like 1