UnevenEdge

Primal season 2 trailer for July 21 premiere, will air on HBO Max the day after new episodes premiere

Jman

2nd season gets an hour premiere on Thursday July 21st, will air weekly until all 10 episodes air and finish on September 15th. It sounds like season 2 will be presented as an on-going story rather than being more episodic like season 1 was. Makes sense given there’s an immediate goal now for our wandering warrior and his dino gal.

A two episode premiere to start the season…

Why do I get this irksome feeling that Toonami will only air one of those episodes on July 23rd and end up being a week behind the premieres because of that? I hope I’m wrong about that because that would needlessly kneecap the Toonami airing. That is presuming they even get to air season 2 that soon.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 4:10 AM, Sketch said:

A two episode premiere to start the season…

Why do I get this irksome feeling that Toonami will only air one of those episodes on July 23rd and end up being a week behind the premieres because of that? I hope I’m wrong about that because that would needlessly kneecap the Toonami airing. That is presuming they even get to air season 2 that soon.

Happily, this will not be the case:

Now, maybe a new show on July 30? A man can dream.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

I'll never understand why Genndy is so against primal premiering on toonami.....it just sticks out like a sore thumb next to the animated sitcom reruns on thursday

He’s been pretty clear about it.  He thinks his work can appeal on a mass level, and doesn’t think Toonami can do that, especially in its current state.  There are anime and action shows that break into the public consciousness, but they need strong word of mouth and good time slots (or streaming) to pull that off.

There’s a reason Primal’s trailer specifically mentions all the Emmys it won.  That’s proof of mainstream acceptance.  Acceptance he feels Toonami isolation wouldn’t get it.

There’s also the fact he doesn’t want to get pigeonholed.  Probably why he keeps saying his next project with Sony is going to be a raunchy animated comedy.

• D'oh 1

6 minutes ago, Jman said:

He’s been pretty clear about it.  He thinks his work can appeal on a mass level, and doesn’t think Toonami can do that, especially in its current state.  There are anime and action shows that break into the public consciousness, but they need strong word of mouth and good time slots (or streaming) to pull that off.

There’s a reason Primal’s trailer specifically mentions all the Emmys it won.  That’s proof of mainstream acceptance.  Acceptance he feels Toonami isolation wouldn’t get it.

There’s also the fact he doesn’t want to get pigeonholed.  Probably why he keeps saying his next project with Sony is going to be a raunchy animated comedy.

still though i don't think the average adultswim viewer is gonna fall in love with primal...it's more like A Tragic Art-House film than anything else

something you can't just shove on right after rick and morty or tuca and bertie

Edited by CountFrylock

Two Days Later it's still fresh in people's minds and with every episode being uploaded to hbomax a day after it premieres

i just don't think S2 Reruns are anything to be hyped or glad about

if you really wanna watch it then you aren't gonna wait two days to see it on toonami

You'll do one of the following

A: watch the thursday premiere

B: watch it on hbomax

or

C : use a sketchy website to illegally view it

Edited by CountFrylock

54 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Look, whether it's Primal lifting Toonami up or Toonami dragging Primal down, let's be glad it's even allowed on the block, even as sloppy seconds, to begin with. This ongoing analysis into a clearly biased view of the block is getting old.

i don't even know what you are talking about....whose being biased here?

I'm Completely confused

18 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

The fact we're getting immediate Toonami replays for season 2 when we weren't for season 1 is enough to be glad over, Mr. Poorly Disguised Pessimist.

why do you keep talking like i want toonami to die and scream about it's downfall 24/7?

I'm getting tired of you acting like i hate everything and only come here to say "i wish "TOONAMI Didn't Exist and i hate everyone who enjoys it!"

I love toonami and have been tuning in since it's return

I Still Tune In(Although these days it's merely just for Lupin And One Piece if I'm Bored enough)

i don't have the Hate-Fetish for toonami that you think i do(that's someone else entirely with an unhealthy obsession with Harassing the toonami crew on twitter)

and have never said that i think toonami's doomed or dying so i don't know where you keep coming up with that bullshit

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Confused 1

Come now, I don't think you're as bad as Toonamifan213 and his blatant propaganda. I trust that you do like Toonami and want to see it live, but the constant replies and your recent reactions just make it come off like you're also constantly worried that Toonami's gonna drop dead without warning one day, and on top of everyone else's worries and assumptions, it feels like part of a greater excess that I wish would just go away already. I know it won't, but as long as there's more people than just me looking on the brighter side of the situation with confidence and taking what small victories we can get, that's enough to leave me satisfied with it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Come now, I don't think you're as bad as Toonamifan213 and his blatant propaganda. I trust that you do like Toonami and want to see it live, but the constant replies and your recent reactions just make it come off like you're also constantly worried that Toonami's gonna drop dead without warning one day, and on top of everyone else's worries and assumptions, it feels like part of a greater excess that I wish would just go away already. I know it won't, but as long as there's more people than just me looking on the brighter side of the situation with confidence and taking what small victories we can get, that's enough to leave me satisfied with it.

it's just I need something besides lupin part 6 to keep me tuning into the block regularly and with how part 6 has been so far that's not much of a highlight...

but I've already seen The Fishman island episodes of one piece long ago(right after toonami originally took it off the air...i watched those episodes on a sketchy website)and naruto is more often than not background noise for me

I Really hate How Much The Sony Buy-Out of CR Fucked them over because I've been watching so much stuff on there that I'd love to discuss with the toonami community but i can't because those shows will never air on toonami...not anytime soon anyways

especially Spy Family

14 hours ago, Jman said:

This again makes me question if Toonami is seen as something that holds a show back because of its timeslot. 

Landing the premiere would’ve been a huge win for the block right now had we are kind of in a “break glass in case of emergency” situation. This is a good compromise but this along with them not wanting to even air the Rick anime as part of Toonami tells you how the block is viewed in context of reaching a large casual crowd.

It reminds me of when TOEI had that weird 8pm mandate to stealth air Super. The late night weekend block is not ideal for reaching a large amount of regular viewers. The idea of all their anime having to be late night on a Saturday could be a deterrent 

It’s very hard to say this, but I question whether the block is doing anyone any good in a state where they can’t pick up shows and large mainstream shows are seen as being “too good” to waste their potential there. Would the upcoming original anime projects be better served elsewhere on the network or on HBOMAX? Not saying that’s where the thinking is at the network, but it seems like it’s going to be very tough maintaining a 3 hour block with 6 constant premieres moving forward 

Edited by brianycpht

17 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

Two Days Later it's still fresh in people's minds and with every episode being uploaded to hbomax a day after it premieres

i just don't think S2 Reruns are anything to be hyped or glad about

if you really wanna watch it then you aren't gonna wait two days to see it on toonami

You'll do one of the following

A: watch the thursday premiere

B: watch it on hbomax

or

C : use a sketchy website to illegally view it

You underestimate how many lazy motherfuckers like me there are who don't watch things unless they're dropped into their laps.

• Like 4

On 7/9/2022 at 9:42 AM, brianycpht said:

This again makes me question if Toonami is seen as something that holds a show back because of its timeslot. 

Landing the premiere would’ve been a huge win for the block right now had we are kind of in a “break glass in case of emergency” situation. This is a good compromise but this along with them not wanting to even air the Rick anime as part of Toonami tells you how the block is viewed in context of reaching a large casual crowd.

It reminds me of when TOEI had that weird 8pm mandate to stealth air Super. The late night weekend block is not ideal for reaching a large amount of regular viewers. The idea of all their anime having to be late night on a Saturday could be a deterrent 

It’s very hard to say this, but I question whether the block is doing anyone any good in a state where they can’t pick up shows and large mainstream shows are seen as being “too good” to waste their potential there. Would the upcoming original anime projects be better served elsewhere on the network or on HBOMAX? Not saying that’s where the thinking is at the network, but it seems like it’s going to be very tough maintaining a 3 hour block with 6 constant premieres moving forward 

I Pondered the idea of anime airing outside toonami more often but was met with this response on discord

"The Demographic that watches king of the hill isn't the same one that watches naruto"

yet primal can air alongside such shows and nobody bats an eye

i don't understand why anime being a regular part of adultswim instead of something that's shoved off to a late night saturday time slot is seen as something that shouldn't be done

You really seem offended by the idea of someone wanting to get his work out to the widest possible audience.  The guy who's won a ton of Emmy awards, wanting people to see his work, is somehow offensive to you.

...You know why I like Netflix being in the anime game despite numerous missteps?  It's because they don't segregate their anime to some deep, smelly corner.  They will recommend you anime to watch if you watch shows with similar genres of themes.  Watched The Witcher?  Here's Bastard!!  Like martial arts movies?  You'll love Kengan Ashura!  Fantasy shows?  Seven Deadly Sins.  Etc, etc.  One Piece probably got more viewers on Netflix than it ever did on Toonami because they didn't go "You only belong here, in this specific corner, for this specific timeslot."  Genndy knows that, he knows his work can appeal to a very wide audience as stereotypes about animation fall apart, stereotypes you seem desperate to want the networks to enforce despite their lack of ability to do so.

28 minutes ago, Jman said:

You really seem offended by the idea of someone wanting to get his work out to the widest possible audience.  The guy who's won a ton of Emmy awards, wanting people to see his work, is somehow offensive to you.

...You know why I like Netflix being in the anime game despite numerous missteps?  It's because they don't segregate their anime to some deep, smelly corner.  They will recommend you anime to watch if you watch shows with similar genres of themes.  Watched The Witcher?  Here's Bastard!!  Like martial arts movies?  You'll love Kengan Ashura!  Fantasy shows?  Seven Deadly Sins.  Etc, etc.  One Piece probably got more viewers on Netflix than it ever did on Toonami because they didn't go "You only belong here, in this specific corner, for this specific timeslot."  Genndy knows that, he knows his work can appeal to a very wide audience as stereotypes about animation fall apart, stereotypes you seem desperate to want the networks to enforce despite their lack of ability to do so.

The same argument can be made for any anime that has potential for a higher audience. So I’m looking at what Genndy’s logic is here and applying it across the board. I think they should take each anime they pick up and consider if it has the ability to react a wider audience and air it where it can do that. If that means they have to dissolve Toonami as a block, so be it. I think its best that they have no more self restrictions on where things need to air 

6 hours ago, Jman said:

problem is You Can't just slap a series like primal on after  R&M Reruns and expect that same audience to enjoy what's basically An Artistic Tragedy about A Caveman and Dinosaur Trying to survive A Hellish World

one is "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub Activate The Memes Morty!" and the other is just Savage Brutality

plus no matter how you slice it...thursday is a pretty damn weird spot to debut new episodes of a series on adultswim(it's a day they've never really used for new content)and despite being in a similar situation

Primal S1 premieres didn't do so well on sundays and some noted that the reruns on toonami performed better than when they originally debuted

Edited by CountFrylock

24 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

The same argument can be made for any anime that has potential for a higher audience. So I’m looking at what Genndy’s logic is here and applying it across the board. I think they should take each anime they pick up and consider if it has the ability to react a wider audience and air it where it can do that. If that means they have to dissolve Toonami as a block, so be it. I think its best that they have no more self restrictions on where things need to air 

the only issue can be that adultswim above all else is for comedy content and that's what the audience has come to expect at this point

anything else has been relegated to saturday nights and when it isn't....it's usually in a strange position such as Primal on thursday nights(a day which adultswim isn't known for doing anything with)leaving it as not only the lone new episode that night but also the only series that night which isn't A Comedy

we had MHA Reruns once upon a time but those were before adultswim concluded for the night and didn't do much for anyone

the only way this works is if more action shows and anime in general are aired regularly on [AS]

so that it feels more natural instead of seeming odd and out of place

Edited by CountFrylock

1 minute ago, CountFrylock said:

the only issue can be that adultswim above all else is for comedy content and that's what the audience has come to expect at this point

anything else has been relegated to saturday nights and when it isn't....it's usually in a strange position such as Primal on thursday nights(a day which adultswim isn't known for doing anything with)leaving it as not only the lone new episode that night but also the only series that night which isn't A Comedy

we had MHA Reruns once upon a time but those were before adultswim concluded for the night and didn't do much for anyone

the only way this works is if more action shows and anime in general are aired regularly

so that it feels more natural instead of seeming odd and out of place

Right- anime RERUNS may not move the needle, but when’s the last time they tried a premeire outside of Saturday nights- like 2005?

I just think the idea that all anime MUST air on Saturday night was a concept based on the ASA days of very obscure titles and little promotion. Now that there is a clearly defined block (Toonami), that limits their options. 

But by dismissing the notion of a wider appealing anime potentially preforming because “AS viewers only like comedy”- they are self limiting what anime can do. The perception regarding it has vastly changed since the early 2000s and even since the days of Toonami’s return 

Edited by brianycpht

7 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

Right- anime RERUNS may not move the needle, but when’s the last time they tried a premeire outside of Saturday nights- like 2005?

exactly this is why i feel so odd about primal on thursday because it's trying to shove a show that isn't a comedy into the regular lineup which most of the time is a comedy lineup

Action shows and anime content in general are rarely featured outside saturday nights so when they are...they come off as some oddity and sideshow attraction rather than just another part of the lineup

i don't want primal to just be this show that confuses the average [AS] Viewer who came simply to pass out in front of american dad reruns

i want it to be joined alongside other action shows and some anime on the regular block to tell everyone that adultswim isn't just some drunk stoner's hang out filled with Memes And Poop Jokes

it's suppose to be an entertaining night-owl's spot and i feel like it's gotten away from that....in favor of catering to the masses who simply wanna marathon old animated sitcoms on repeat

Edited by CountFrylock

4 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

exactly this is why i feel so odd about primal on thursday because it's trying to shove a show that isn't a comedy into the regular lineup which most of the time is a comedy lineup

Action shows and anime content in general are rarely featured outside saturday nights so when they are...they come off as some oddity and sideshow attraction rather than just another part of the lineup

i don't want primal to just be this show that confuses the average [AS] Viewer who came simply to pass out in front of american dad reruns

i want it to be joined alongside other action shows and some anime on the regular block to tell everyone that adultswim isn't just some drunk stoner's hang out filled with Memes And Poop Jokes

I kind of prefer how AS was during the early weeknight era where comedy and anime were mixed every night- including Sunday. They all had black and white cards and it felt like a cohesive block

I don’t know why but there was this huge push to seperate them again to have a Saturday block 

5 hours ago, brianycpht said:

I kind of prefer how AS was during the early weeknight era where comedy and anime were mixed every night- including Sunday. They all had black and white cards and it felt like a cohesive block

I don’t know why but there was this huge push to seperate them again to have a Saturday block 

they also had custom bumpers for shows like case closed...something they don't really do anymore for any shows

but i suppose they can't really do much about this now since sony refuses to play ball and one original series every once in awhile by itself isn't gonna change anything

i can watch so many good anime titles on cr now whenever i want(especially after the funimation merger)and it saddens me to know so many of them never got to be on adultswim

Edited by CountFrylock

A lot of shows didn’t become big that people thought should have been.  That’s show business.

A block is just a delivery method of shows.  Toonami was the best at it when you compare it to Rerun Central like Afternoon Adventures.  Considering we live in a world where Bastard!! is somehow becoming a huge hit, something that would have been impossible in the ASA days (because it would have never gotten past Standards and Practices and I doubt DeMarco would have wanted it), and Primal won 5 Emmys, I say focus our the shows and where they will get the most eyeballs.

10 hours ago, Jman said:

A lot of shows didn’t become big that people thought should have been.  That’s show business.

A block is just a delivery method of shows.  Toonami was the best at it when you compare it to Rerun Central like Afternoon Adventures.  Considering we live in a world where Bastard!! is somehow becoming a huge hit, something that would have been impossible in the ASA days (because it would have never gotten past Standards and Practices and I doubt DeMarco would have wanted it), and Primal won 5 Emmys, I say focus our the shows and where they will get the most eyeballs.

but thursdays though...why thursdays in particular?

it's not really a day adultswim has ever done anything with so nobody's come to expect thursdays as a day for new content....so to go from sunday(where adultswim normally premieres it's originals)to thursday where nothing happens is more than a little bizarre

Primal is the only thing premiering new content on thursdays with everything else either relegated to Toonami On Saturday or the sunday lineup

Edited by CountFrylock

11 minutes ago, korosu said:

Sorry i suppose i didn't realize that because i had assumed most of the adultswim originals(non-toonami content) aired on sunday because it felt like that's been the case more often than not

nothing this year has aired new episodes outside saturdays(for toonami)and sundays(for non-toonami content) which is why primal's time slot came off as strange to me

Edited by CountFrylock