UnevenEdge

Well, I just realized what today is.

stilgar

Working this evening. Had corned beef with my daughter and her family. No green beer, because I'd actually gone to pick up the cats, and it was a 2 hour drive home.

Besides, I should never drink. One beer, and I start breaking dishes (not on purpose; it just kind of happens).

I wonder if there are any Irishmen who will be complaining about cultural appropriation.

already saw it. made the dire mistake of looking at my fb news feed for the first time in about 6 months or more. well, at least some of the complainers are Irish, the rest weren't... so you know, same ol same ol. it isn't that i disagree but some people go a little far. for instance, its my day off and i work the rest of the weekend. i would like to have drinks with friends this evening if i can. BONUS, two of my favorite Michigan Irish punk bands, The Waxies and The Tosspints are playing at my favorite brewery. SO YAY! I'm gonna go have a few good brews and listen to good music.... but no one to really go with yet because too many of my friends are boycotting going out for drinks today because of the "bastardization" of St. Pattys in America.

its one thing to not buy into or reject gimmicks that you believe are offensive but some people are just extreme about it.

already saw it. made the dire mistake of looking at my fb news feed for the first time in about 6 months or more. well, at least some of the complainers are Irish, the rest weren't... so you know, same ol same ol. it isn't that i disagree but some people go a little far. for instance, its my day off and i work the rest of the weekend. i would like to have drinks with friends this evening if i can. BONUS, two of my favorite Michigan Irish punk bands, The Waxies and The Tosspints are playing at my favorite brewery. SO YAY! I'm gonna go have a few good brews and listen to good music.... but no one to really go with yet because too many of my friends are boycotting going out for drinks today because of the "bastardization" of St. Pattys in America.

its one thing to not buy into or reject gimmicks that you believe are offensive but some people are just extreme about it.

Considering it's technically a Roman Catholic "feast " day and not an actual holiday, your friends are particularly douchey and wrong.

In all seriousness, I don't necessarily condemn the criticism, it's just that it tends to be misguided and generally ignores the fellowship that is part of celebrating quasi holidays like this.  It's one thing to use cultural markers as a way build commonality, it's another to use cultural markers to justify destructive behavior (in particular, uncontrolled inebriation).  To the latter, Saint Patrick's Day and Cinco De Mayo share the same problematic justifications that warrant criticism in the proper context.