UnevenEdge

RIP Billy Kametz (1987-2022)

3ngag3

I’ve honestly had a rough time handling this. Within such a short span of time, he was able to bring out all of these hard hitting roles. Landing Josuke and Naofumi was already incredibly impressive. I still need to see Promare, but I was saving it for a watch night to find out all the stuff about the movie’s main two protags. 

I knew him best from his role as Maruki in Persona 5 and Nenji Ogata from 13 Sentinels. He was also funny in Fire Emblem Three Houses as Ferdinand von Aegir. He really brought a human element to characters who were either really compassionate or really silly. Nenji strikes this balance pretty well with his tough guy demeanor being mellowed out by his humble, down-to-earth empathy for those around him and the love he eventually develops with a girl who shares an acrimonious friendship with. 

Knowing how recent of a VA he was combined with getting regular updates of how he was doing is probably why I’ve been tearing up a lot more about this news. 

• Sad 6

Christ, he was only 35. I'm pretty sure they don't even recommend colon cancer screening until you hit 40, this must have come totally out of the blue.

All I can think of is his part on Cells at Work where his character literally fights off a cancer cell. It's going to fucking hurt watching that.

• Sad 10

He was gone much too soon. His story is heartbreaking, they didn't find the cancer until he was already in stage 4. I really thought he was going to make it despite how advanced his case became. It's just too much.

He was so talented and genuine and kind. Only the good die young. Rest in peace Billy.

7 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Christ, he was only 35. I'm pretty sure they don't even recommend colon cancer screening until you hit 40, this must have come totally out of the blue.

All I can think of is his part on Cells at Work where his character literally fights off a cancer cell. It's going to fucking hurt watching that.

There was a Cells at Work story like that wasn't there? Man... I have the dubbed version of the opening song from the first season where he and Cherami sing. That song and Billy's voice was more morning wake-up alarm encouraging me every day. This hits as hard or harder than when Kirby Morrow passed away.

• Like 2

There's some kind of compound or chemicals out there affecting men's bowels because the amount of stories that have come out recently about people in the 1st half of their 30's getting and dying from colon cancer is fucked.

I just turned... a certain age, and I got some family history so I might think of talking to a doctor about screening (though I'm really not looking forward to shoving a tube up my ass).

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Sketch said:

This hits as hard or harder than when Kirby Morrow passed away.

I'd argue Kirby's hit harder, since it was completely unprecedented upon its announcement. At least with Billy, we knew the cause and its severity ahead of time, which prepared us for the worst-case outcome. No less tragic, but still, somewhat of a cushion.

6 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

There's some kind of compound or chemicals out there affecting men's bowels because the amount of stories that have come out recently about people in the 1st half of their 30's getting and dying from colon cancer is fucked.

I just turned... a certain age, and I got some family history so I might think of talking to a doctor about screening (though I'm really not looking forward to shoving a tube up my ass).

I'm still a good decade away from the recommended age, but if this compound/chemical behind these early age colon cancer deaths really is out there, I might want to think about getting a five to ten year head start. Family history don't lie.

Spoiler

Curiously enough, despite both of them getting it, colon cancer wasn't what killed two of my grandparents. Grandma on my dad's side passed from heart failure, while Grandpa on my mom's side was too stubborn to leave his house when it caught on fire and died from smoke inhalation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

I'd argue Kirby's hit harder, since it was completely unprecedented upon its announcement. At least with Billy, we knew the cause and its severity ahead of time, which prepared us for the worst-case outcome. No less tragic, but still, somewhat of a cushion.

I'm still a good decade away from the recommended age, but if this compound/chemical behind these early age colon cancer deaths really is out there, I might want to think about getting a five to ten year head start. Family history don't lie.

Hide contents

Curiously enough, despite both of them getting it, colon cancer wasn't what killed two of my grandparents. Grandma on my dad's side passed from heart failure, while Grandpa on my mom's side was too stubborn to leave his house when it caught on fire and died from smoke inhalation.

Yeah I'm a good decade or so from the recommended age myself (it's supposed to be between 40 to 50 right?). It's just all these guys getting it as soon as they hit 30 is freaking me out a little plus my parents both had caught and taken out polyps before -- And between everything having some kind of toxic preservative nowadays and a lifetime of ingesting that and possibly causing a cancerous fast-forward effect in our bodies... *shudder*

Wasn't Chadwick Boseman like 28 when he caught it? Jesus fuck

Spoiler

Where do you keep your grandpa's Darwin Award?

Edited by MasqueradeOverture
  • Like 2

Yeah, if there's a family history that's more significant than "Pop pop worked in the ol' town asbestos factory for 40 years and then randomly got cancer" then it's worth it to push for earlier testing. I have a half-sister who got stage 3 breast cancer when she was only 31, and that's another one that they basically call you a hypochondriac for worrying about before your 40's. I started getting ultrasound exams at 22 and mammograms at 30 to hopefully nip it in the bud if they do catch anything one day.

• Thanks 2

I never really thought about how old Billy was... maybe I was subconsciously thinking he was even younger, but 35 sounds about right. Though it was short, he certainly lived a life filled with love and affection. R.I.P. to a real one.

What really makes me feel bad is that I watched JoJo's religiously on Toonami up until a few episodes into Part 4, where I trailed off. I'll have to do this guy a solid and finish it, though I'll probably rewatch the first three parts to prepare.

• Like 1