UnevenEdge

Jman

9 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Nozomi was a slightly chubby girl in the game.  Her hair was also darker.  At least the kitten is in the ED.

Noz313.thumb.jpg.c2dd5eef850aa3b3f41c276fefcd7824.jpg

And what the hell is this gif?! xD

NozomiFlip.gif.1221f5de9ea0d6d481c04d9dac6026f9.gif

A secret code can be punched in so Nozomi helps you fight those two bullies from the first episode.  Why she's doing a goddamn Rumina Sato flying armbar is another matter.

I think the cut-aways to the village do a fairly decent job of establishing Shenhua since she literally has zero dialogue until the end of the second game.

"Mugging is out of style."  It is the 80s, everyone's into stock market manipulation and white collar crime.  Come on, you got a few years before the bubble economy bursts!

They compressed another multi-hour subquest line into roughly...7 minutes.  The thing is, the compression doesn't make the anime seem too fast paced, it just reminds me how much of a goddamn slog the original Shenmue could be.  And it has a completely different ending to boot.

Finally, an explanation for Lan Di's motivation.

The fight scenes continue to be pretty good.  Fluid, dynamic, and the choreography is on point (fitting considering Yu Suzuki's team is responsible for Virtua Fighter, probably the first fighting game to at least try to add a somewhat realistic base to the fighting styles.  Akira's kung fu was specifically based on a martial art Suzuki was learning at the time as a hobby.  Suzuki went so far as to have his development team learn the martial arts they were including to help get this across).

The next episode preview is literally just the forklifts.  Yes people, we're getting a forklift episode.

This continues to be a really solid martial arts anime with...questionable dubbing for Ryo (although it seems more like it's reflecting his own internal issues vs. incompetent direction ala the game) which by default makes it the best Crunchyroll original up to this point given the sheer incompetence of the others.  Looking at you Onyx Equinox, you piece of shit.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 1

Okay, so after three episodes, I figured I'd take a stab at critiquing this show. No surprise, but I think it's pretty good. The plot feels a little mechanical to me, with Ryo going from place to place to try and figure out just what he has to do to start avenging his father, but I figured as much given that the show is based off a video game. And in between the cracks of story development, we get some nice action scenes. Like Black Lotus before it, this show revels in having characters punch holes through each other. And this time, given that this is traditional animation as opposed to mo-cap (where I imagine they still have to fake it to make it), everything feels a little more visceral.

Interesting how the show features Japanese and Chinese protagonists with the implication that they're going to work together. I thought the show was going for Japanese nationalism at first. But also, the fact that this show features the Chinese mafia as a major player tickles me. The fictional work I've been dreaming up features a similar idea, with a Chinese character meddling in the criminal underworld, except the organization he's a part of includes the good guys. It's got all the Asians and some other cultures banding together in the name of justice. And also, I liked the reveal in this episode where Ryo's dojo has a hidden room you can access by putting a sword through a glory hole. Again, similar to my planned series, except it's an inconspicuous trap door located in a shrine.

So yeah. For what I didn't cover, I defer to Jman. This show is probably the best Toonami original since the final season of Samurai Jack, let alone any of the CR stuff. And next week, forklift memes! Should be fun, even if MST3K did it first.

Edited by Blatch
Added clarity to the second paragraph.