UnevenEdge

do you think toonami will still get new funimation content or not?

CountFrylock

excluding attack on titan final season part 2 of course(since the contract they made long ago prompts it to air first on toonami)

i ask because all the tweets demarco has been sending out don't sound all that positive about the current situation at toonami mentioning several shows falling through(not just demon slayer)how the packaging budget has been slashed

and how toonami will need to be different/more experimental moving forward

but does that mean we can write off new funimation content coming to the block after AOT Wraps up?

in the recent additions to the block

we got 1 older funimation series in AC S2

A Sentai filmworks series(made in abyss)

and an older funimation series that toei gladly gave them for exposure on american television

none of these really do much to debunk the fan theory that funimation titles as well as CR/Aniplex titles(excluding the CR/AS partnership originals)are off limits

Edited by CountFrylock

On 1/24/2022 at 8:05 AM, CountFrylock said:

excluding attack on titan final season part 2 of course(since the contract they made long ago prompts it to air first on toonami)

i ask because all the tweets demarco has been sending out don't sound all that positive about the current situation at toonami mentioning several shows falling through(not just demon slayer)how the packaging budget has been slashed

and how toonami will need to be different/more experimental moving forward

but does that mean we can write off new funimation content coming to the block after AOT Wraps up?

in the recent additions to the block

we got 1 older funimation series in AC S2

A Sentai filmworks series(made in abyss)

and an older funimation series that toei gladly gave them for exposure on american television

none of these really do much to debunk the fan theory that funimation titles as well as CR/Aniplex titles(excluding the CR/AS partnership originals)are off limits

This sounds a lot more concerning than not being able to get Funimation shows, although that is a serious blow as well.  Toonami having to be "different/more experimental" translates to their budget likely having been slashed in general and they are really going to have pull some things out of their asses to be able to even fill the block.  They're going to have to air some older shows (although Demarco once claimed older shows are no cheaper than newer ones, which seems odd to me,) and some stuff they might not normally air.  Toonami is going to be on a decline, or at least "downsizing," not necessarily in the amount of time it occupies, but the type of shows they air in the future probably won't be as recent or as popular as in the past.

Do you have the tweets where Demarco said this stuff?

4 hours ago, ben0119 said:

This sounds a lot more concerning than not being able to get Funimation shows, although that is a serious blow as well.  Toonami having to be "different/more experimental" translates to their budget likely having been slashed in general and they are really going to have pull some things out of their asses to be able to even fill the block.  They're going to have to air some older shows (although Demarco once claimed older shows are no cheaper than newer ones, which seems odd to me,) and some stuff they might not normally air.  Toonami is going to be on a decline, or at least "downsizing," not necessarily in the amount of time it occupies, but the type of shows they air in the future probably won't be as recent or as popular as in the past.

Do you have the tweets where Demarco said this stuff?

and considering sony also owns Aniplex and crunchyroll it's not just new funimation titles that toonami could be missing out on

and here's the tweet

Good And Bad News

good news...it's just demon slayer being affected(due to sony asking an outrageous amount of money for it)

the bad news...Demarco stated they may have to air fewer new popular shows and rely more on originals

not really sure the block could be sustained on obscure series and originals

12 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

good news...it's just demon slayer being affected(due to sony asking an outrageous amount of money for it)

Yeah I'm still thinking this is more about Sony Aniplex than Sony Funimation. Aniplex has always priced high to consumers so it wouldn't surprise me if they also are now pricing higher to businesses. I still think they'll be able to get more big Funi stuff after AoT.

Given the explosion in Demon Slayer I could easily imagine, typical of Aniplex and following the movie's ticket sales, the possibility they're overvaluing it in the US and have skyrocketed the licensing price compared to the time when Demarco made the deal to license season 1. Though I do still think both will find a way to get it on air for a late run sometime after it finishes its entire streaming run, maybe over the late spring or summer or something as was suggested in the previous thread.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DangerMouse said:

Yeah I'm still thinking this is more about Sony Aniplex than Sony Funimation. Aniplex has always priced high to consumers so it wouldn't surprise me if they also are now pricing higher to businesses. I still think they'll be able to get more big Funi stuff after AoT.

Given the explosion in Demon Slayer I could easily imagine, typical of Aniplex and following the movie's ticket sales, the possibility they're overvaluing it in the US and have skyrocketed the licensing price compared to the time when Demarco made the deal to license season 1. Though I do still think both will find a way to get it on air for a late run sometime after it finishes its entire streaming run, maybe over the late spring or summer or something as was suggested in the previous thread.

I don't know, Aniplex was a good partner in the past.  The SAO seasons always got on Toonami with quick turnaround and they've been put on umpteen streaming services.

13 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I don't know, Aniplex was a good partner in the past.  The SAO seasons always got on Toonami with quick turnaround and they've been put on umpteen streaming services.

Yeah, but it's also the case that Funi's been one of their most reliable partners too even after Sony bought them and by the time they sped up dubbing of SAO I feel like it was a returning show and one of the better draws so probably worth whatever money. Plus Toonami's still gotten quick turnarounds on past Funi seasons of Attack on Titan and MHA (before the pandemic) too and their first new show deal here in January was continuing Assassination Classroom from Funi (along with Made in Abyss from Sentai)

I guess probably the best bet is that it's not as simple as simply one publisher or another and might just highly differ from show to show and the predicted popularity of each said show.

Like I think Demon Slayer is its own case due to how it skyrocketed in popularity and the movie raking in so much unexpected cash inflating what Aniplex is requesting from Toonami if they want to air it now. Hopefully after it's premiered on the streamers they can it cheaper maybe over the summer. I'd still watch it then if they put it on.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

funimation has been a reliable partner but demarco did say times are uncertain right now and on twitter lately he doesn't sound like things are business as usual

They've gotten a month's worth of new shows.  That's pretty impressive for a block on the ass-end of Saturday/Sunday.  

Unfortunately, quantity is one place where they can't beat streaming.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jman said:

They've gotten a month's worth of new shows.  That's pretty impressive for a block on the ass-end of Saturday/Sunday.  

Unfortunately, quantity is one place where they can't beat streaming.

at the same time though...what they did pick up shows they can't just acquire newer content like they used to anymore

I don't think that they shouldn't be able to get shows from any of the usual places other than having to deal with the price asked issues which were always a thing even when they had a better budget for it.  

It actually would be detrimental to many companies to try to hoard up their titles for one specific venue [ like Netflix ] when having various titles offered through multiple venues not only keeps their name in the public view, it ensures further income from the multiple platforms instead of dealing with a potential lockdown from a shitty contract. 

Also, I'll just say it. They are bringing back 'Reign the Conqueror' . Prepare your codpieces. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

I don't think that they shouldn't be able to get shows from any of the usual places other than having to deal with the price asked issues which were always a thing even when they had a better budget for it.  

It actually would be detrimental to many companies to try to hoard up their titles for one specific venue [ like Netflix ] when having various titles offered through multiple venues not only keeps their name in the public view, it ensures further income from the multiple platforms instead of dealing with a potential lockdown from a shitty contract. 

Also, I'll just say it. They are bringing back 'Reign the Conqueror' . Prepare your codpieces. 

So far though toei seems like the only company that has outright been confirmed to still see american cable television as a viable means to market themselves and were willing to work out a reasonable deal with toonami

anyone else...it's all speculation on how they feel about cable tv since more and more companies are jumping on the streaming bandwagon

19 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

So far though toei seems like the only company that has outright been confirmed to still see american cable television as a viable means to market themselves and were willing to work out a reasonable deal with toonami

anyone else...it's all speculation on how they feel about cable tv since more and more companies are jumping on the streaming bandwagon

Toei has a lot of catching up to do so they are more willing to deal with a cable market which will allow them to get back in the game and direct traffic to their other titles for seemingly more reasonable costs. That One Piece was supposedly recently voted the most popular anime in the US [ disclaimer, I didn't read the story so I don't know who did the voting or why ] and it's last known residence was Toonami likely helped to get it back on the air. 

Streaming is great and all but if it wasn't for tv, I wouldn't have bothered with streaming in the first place. I'd miss an episode of something, seek it out [ legally ] online and get introduced to other interesting shows via the commercials that run during 'free' streaming. Cable led to getting a streaming app and I still watch cable as a specific weekly vacation. But if something is behind a super premium lock or subjected to being blocked entirely because it can only be seen on fancy streaming channel 'x' due to contracts, I'll find something else from someone else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

Toei has a lot of catching up to do so they are more willing to deal with a cable market which will allow them to get back in the game and direct traffic to their other titles for seemingly more reasonable costs. That One Piece was supposedly recently voted the most popular anime in the US [ disclaimer, I didn't read the story so I don't know who did the voting or why ] and it's last known residence was Toonami likely helped to get it back on the air. 

Streaming is great and all but if it wasn't for tv, I wouldn't have bothered with streaming in the first place. I'd miss an episode of something, seek it out [ legally ] online and get introduced to other interesting shows via the commercials that run during 'free' streaming. Cable led to getting a streaming app and I still watch cable as a specific weekly vacation. But if something is behind a super premium lock or subjected to being blocked entirely because it can only be seen on fancy streaming channel 'x' due to contracts, I'll find something else from someone else. 

I Just like the weekly community vibe from toonami and don't like the idea of having to bounce between streaming services just to watch one or two shows

not only that but toonami gives me something to look forward to every saturday night  it gives me a consistent routine that i share with my mother(who also enjoys toonami)

streaming makes it less of a routine and discussions online can become difficult as people tend to quickly move on from one show to the next after a few days...maybe a week at the most and afterwards they'll focus on the next trending series

as for one piece and it's return to the block...I Wouldn't have any problems with it if the pacing wasn't so terrible that even a couple weeks doubled up results in it feeling like little progress has been made

it's just such a slow anime to watch....weekly it's unbearable

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 2

I would argue that One Piece is a strong holder for a later spot in the line-up. It's got a lot of episodes, and yes, it's currently on the slow roll right now [ I say that because where it picked up on Toonami is where it picked up in the final physical years of Shonen Jump which I collected and read ] but it's not a total loss at the time slot it'll end up at once everything gets finalized for the rest of the year. I'll take the wedge show that ensures any further contractions are slowed. 

Otherwise, yes, a weekly scheduled anime block is something to look forward to and offers something that streaming can't. :) Which is why I think that any company worth its rep would use all venues possible for their various titles. There's more than room enough and they'll make steady money from numerous sources that way rather than potentially getting locked into one thing that ties them down. 

• Like 2

On 2/4/2022 at 6:45 PM, katt_goddess said:

I would argue that One Piece is a strong holder for a later spot in the line-up. It's got a lot of episodes, and yes, it's currently on the slow roll right now [ I say that because where it picked up on Toonami is where it picked up in the final physical years of Shonen Jump which I collected and read ] but it's not a total loss at the time slot it'll end up at once everything gets finalized for the rest of the year. I'll take the wedge show that ensures any further contractions are slowed. 

Otherwise, yes, a weekly scheduled anime block is something to look forward to and offers something that streaming can't. :) Which is why I think that any company worth its rep would use all venues possible for their various titles. There's more than room enough and they'll make steady money from numerous sources that way rather than potentially getting locked into one thing that ties them down. 

We'll see....but fewer and fewer people are watching cable so i can see why some companies might see it as less viable

On 1/30/2022 at 3:31 AM, DangerMouse said:

Yeah, but it's also the case that Funi's been one of their most reliable partners too even after Sony bought them and by the time they sped up dubbing of SAO I feel like it was a returning show and one of the better draws so probably worth whatever money. Plus Toonami's still gotten quick turnarounds on past Funi seasons of Attack on Titan and MHA (before the pandemic) too and their first new show deal here in January was continuing Assassination Classroom from Funi (along with Made in Abyss from Sentai)

I guess probably the best bet is that it's not as simple as simply one publisher or another and might just highly differ from show to show and the predicted popularity of each said show.

Like I think Demon Slayer is its own case due to how it skyrocketed in popularity and the movie raking in so much unexpected cash inflating what Aniplex is requesting from Toonami if they want to air it now. Hopefully after it's premiered on the streamers they can it cheaper maybe over the summer. I'd still watch it then if they put it on.

Well Demarco blamed Sony (again, foolish for him to publicly badmouth a company you're trying to work with,) which makes me wonder if Sony went over Aniplex's head on this because of how popular Demon Slayer got, or if they always negotiated with Sony directly.  SAO exploded in popularity too and that was never difficult to get.  But maybe it didn't blow up to the degree Demon Slayer did.  Yeah Funimation has been a good partner even after the Sony buy out, I hope that continues.  I agree I hope this is a special case for Demon Slayer and not Aniplex overall, or worse, Sony overall.

Yeah I would be fine if Demon Slayer was able to air later on and would still watch it.  I had a lot of fun watching it here with everyone, so it would suck if that had to end now.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 5:57 PM, CountFrylock said:

I Just like the weekly community vibe from toonami and don't like the idea of having to bounce between streaming services just to watch one or two shows

not only that but toonami gives me something to look forward to every saturday night  it gives me a consistent routine that i share with my mother(who also enjoys toonami)

streaming makes it less of a routine and discussions online can become difficult as people tend to quickly move on from one show to the next after a few days...maybe a week at the most and afterwards they'll focus on the next trending series

as for one piece and it's return to the block...I Wouldn't have any problems with it if the pacing wasn't so terrible that even a couple weeks doubled up results in it feeling like little progress has been made

it's just such a slow anime to watch....weekly it's unbearable

I agree I like having Toonami.  Each Saturday feels like an "event."  It's just not the same with streaming, with shows scattered across a bunch services not everyone will have, and disparate communities.  And if you want a spoiler free discussion, forget it.  You gotta just watch the whole show and then hope you find anybody who wants to talk about it with you months or years after the fact.  Streaming definitely has its benefits, and obviously Toonami can't air every show and there's some shows they can never air (like content reasons or "too old" sadly,) but I definitely still want Toonami to be around and have that event feel and community vibe you mentioned.

I was hoping One Piece could stay at 2 eps a week.  If Demarco hadn't brought back friggin Bebop.  Thanks a lot, Netflix!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I agree I like having Toonami.  Each Saturday feels like an "event."  It's just not the same with streaming, with shows scattered across a bunch services not everyone will have, and disparate communities.  And if you want a spoiler free discussion, forget it.  You gotta just watch the whole show and then hope you find anybody who wants to talk about it with you months or years after the fact.  Streaming definitely has its benefits, and obviously Toonami can't air every show and there's some shows they can never air (like content reasons or "too old" sadly,) but I definitely still want Toonami to be around and have that event feel and community vibe you mentioned.

I was hoping One Piece could stay at 2 eps a week.  If Demarco hadn't brought back friggin Bebop.  Thanks a lot, Netflix!

although i know if you talk about toonami on any anime community  You'll get responses like "You Still watch tv? lol!" or "who the hell cares about toonami when you can stream what you want?"

• Confused 1