UnevenEdge

Cartoon Network is losing Pokémon to Disney XD

OwlChemist81

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/programming/disney-xD-picks-pok-mon-series-films/161248

No more anime on the CN portion of CN/[as], at least for now. Who knows if DB Super and YJ3 will end up there now? With CN finally giving up Pokémon to Disney xD after 19 years, anything is possible now!

I'm okay with this........Pokemon has a built in fanbase........and Disneyxd already had a pokemon imitator(and has a partially japanese produced Megaman show coming out next year) basically.......Disneyxd is gonna become a larger source for Kid's anime....they'd already been toying at it for years(they had a toonami immitator called "Jetix" for a while then picked up Naruto), but after the anime market crashed in 2007 they gave up and started producing anime-ish live action shows, now that the market has smoothed out they're picking up anime again

as for DB super I don't see any other outcome than it being fifteened and ending up on Toonami

I feel like I've seen this coming for a while now. Cartoon Network which once treated Pokemon like a golden goose has pushed it aside and limited it to one airing a week on the main network while Boomerang has an hour a day around 10PM EST on weekdays and nothing on weekends.

I didn't think much of it when Disney xD got BeyBlade's backlog recently, I just kind of figured no one else was interested but now that they're throwing down big bucks for the 19 previous seasons of Pokemon on top of the new episodes and 15 movies I gotta started thinking they have some plans brewing.

Even before this I thought DXD was a strong possibility for Dragon Ball Super but this has erased any remaining doubts in my mind. At the very least I'm sure DXD has interest in acquiring the Dragon Ball franchise and they can most likely outbid Turner for Super and renewing Kai if they want to. 2017 is going to be an interesting year for anime on US television but it looks like starting early next year the only anime on basic cable will be airing on Toonami.

I feel like I've seen this coming for a while now. Cartoon Network which once treated Pokemon like a golden goose has pushed it aside and limited it to one airing a week on the main network while Boomerang has an hour a day around 10PM EST on weekdays and nothing on weekends.

I didn't think much of it when Disney xD got BeyBlade's backlog recently, I just kind of figured no one else was interested but now that they're throwing down big bucks for the 19 previous seasons of Pokemon on top of the new episodes and 15 movies I gotta started thinking they have some plans brewing.

Even before this I thought DXD was a strong possibility for Dragon Ball Super but this has erased any remaining doubts in my mind. At the very least I'm sure DXD has interest in acquiring the Dragon Ball franchise and they can most likely outbid Turner for Super and renewing Kai if they want to. 2017 is going to be an interesting year for anime on US television but it looks like starting early next year the only anime on basic cable will be airing on Toonami.

DBs isn't gonna be on disneyxd

Funimation will fill it with profanity making it impossible to air it on a children's network and it will end up on Toonami, there are however other animes Disneyxd may start eyeing as possible pick ups.....if pokemon does well for them....if not pokemon may end up as a netflix exclusive show

for that matter, I may make a list of the shows they COULD air if they wanted to

as previously mentioned. Disney xD has Yokai watch, is going to be airing both Beyblade and Pokemon in 2017, and is producing a Megaman anime, so clearly they want in on the anime market,  other anime's Disneyxd could actually get away with airing include

[*]

Sonic X (it was license rescued by Discotek, **shrug** but it's old so it's not that likely)

[*]Magical Doremi (a new dub would be required though, as 4kid's dub is out of print and lost)

[*]reruns of Digimon (because they used to own it and Nicktoons no longer does)

[*]Pretty cure (saban is dubbing the franchise under the name "glitter force", and Disney allegedly made a bid for Sailor moon when viz got the rights to it, so logically they could persue a show that immitates it if they want it that badly(as it is they already produced their own sailor moon-esque series of shorts called "Star Darlings" and previously had a straight up sailor moon rip-off called W.I.T.C.H)

[*]Various Sanrio shows (frankly I'm surprised they haven't done this already...other than the fact that Jewelpet has a lot of....questionable humor)

[*]Fairy Tail (because funimation did not fifteen the dub meaning on some level they produced it with the INTENT to market it as kid's series)

[*]while we're on the subject, Sailor moon, assuming A. they are daring enough to air a show with lesbians(which considering their competition already is they should be) B. viz lets them redub one or two needlessly fifteened lines (Nephrite says damn in one episode and Sailor Moon calls Rubeus a "Bastard" but the dub has no profanity otherwise and c. their "exclusivity" deal with Hulu expires)

DBs isn't gonna be on disneyxd

Funimation will fill it with profanity making it impossible to air it on a children's network and it will end up on Toonami, there are however other animes Disneyxd may start eyeing as possible pick ups.....if pokemon does well for them....if not pokemon may end up as a netflix exclusive show

for that matter, I may make a list of the shows they COULD air if they wanted to

FUNimation can and probably will make a Y7-FV dub for Dragon Ball Super at the behest of Toei who is the company that is really going to decide where the show ends up.