UnevenEdge

Star Wars: Visions sneak peek

Looks like it has more Vision than those sequels, am I right? 

But I won’t lie, it’s an impressive list of studios they’re getting onboard for this project. Trigger and IG are neat, but it was great to see Geno Studios and Science Saru involved too. 

Edited by Chapinator_X
  • Like 1

Star Wars Visions looks freakin awesome!

This guy did a break down of the clip and also mentioned some shows the studios made, which I wrote down.  I haven't seen all these shows so some may be worth checking out before Visions comes out.

Kamikaze Douga - 

JoJo
Batman Ninja 

Geno Studio -

Golden Kamuy 

Studio Colorido - 

A Whisker Away
Burn the Witch 

Studio Trigger - 

Kill la Kill
Promare 

Kinema Citrus - 

Made in Abyss
Rising of Shield Hero
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 

Science Saru - 

Devilman Crybaby
Japan Sinks 

Production I.G. - 

Ghost in the Shell
Attack on Titan

Production I.G. are not the ones who made Attack on Titan though so I don't know why he said that.

Of course feels like a long time coming.  Japanese culture and movies etc had a lot of influence on Star Wars.  And apparently lots of folks who work for Lucasfilm are anime fans, especially in the animation department, I'd imagine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't if this warrants a new thread for discussion, now that the series has come out.  I'll just post this here for now, and if anyone wants to make a new thread, they can.

I just watched all the episodes.  I thought the series was great.  The Duel had a style like an old Japanese Samurai movie.  Having only the blaster bolts and lightsabers in color was very cool.  

The Twins was Trigger incarnate haha!  It was crazy!  I just know the canon "rules" obsessed people will have convulsions over it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.  It also could serve as a pilot to a full series, which I would love to see.  

The Village Bride was really well done.  It's always interesting to see a totally different kind of planet and culture in Star Wars.  I would not mind seeing more of the Jedi from this either, she was cool.  

The Ninth Jedi was also really great.  It did NOT go the way I expected.  This one could also serve as a pilot to a series which could be amazing.  

The Elder was by Trigger, but it felt like a more "normal" anime, and not like Trigger's style, but it was still good.  But why the hell has lightsabers in the rain not been done before now?!  Unless I'm forgetting something?  

Lop & Ocho was another great one, really gets emotional.  This could also be a pilot for a series which could be really good.  

Akakiri, T0-B1, and Tattooine Rhapsody were my least favorite.  By no means bad, and well done, but not completely my cup of tea.  

T0-B1 and Tattooine Rhapsody both had "cute" art styles.  It was honestly hard to tell if characters were meant to be children or not in Tattooine Rhapsody.  Though I got to say, that band was quite the motley crue, heh.  T0-B1 also just got really weird and esoteric.  It was cute though, just not my favorite.  

Akakiri, I'm not sure what they were going for with that art style.  I don't think I've seen any anime that looks like this, not necessarily in a good way, either.  Some of the things and characters were kind of ugly.  I did like the chocobo-like creatures though.  It also didn't go the way I thought or would hope or expect.  But, it's definitely not the direction things commonly go with Star Wars stories, at least not in my experience.  This could be a series too and that might help it.  And before anyone tries to theorize about one of the characters that appeared - 

Spoiler

The Jedi's master that we briefly see for one scene looks kinda like Palpatine, but I HIGHLY doubt that's him. 

Anyway, some of these stories really do not explain some stuff, which I know is going to drive some Star Wars fans crazy.  Me personally, I prefer some things in Star Wars to be mysterious. 

But, as I said, some of these could be pilots for possibly really good series.  Especially The Twins and The Ninth Jedi.  I would REALLY like to see those continue.  If Lucasfilm wants to have Disney Plus be like another anime farm like Netflix, but with Star Wars anime, I would LOVE THAT.  But man, this whole anthology series has been a dream come true already! 

Oh, and all the different music was GREAT! 

I would talk more specifics and spoilers, but then I'd have to write even more haha.

I still have to watch the last three.  I dunno.  I guess I was spoiled by the Animatrix, or Robot Carnival, because I was expecting them all to be more ..... what's the word? Varied? ... experimental? Like so far the first one, The Duel, looked the most different from a Star Wars series to me. I don't even think each Japanese creator got to write their own sequence! It felt like Disney got one of their writers and storyboarders to do ALL of them, and the anime studios just animated to all that, resulting in a very safe compilation that all felt like they had the same pacing, cinematography, and amount of dialogue. Even TRIGGER, who I know can tell a story without dialogue, had the one with the MOST dialogue!! :( .... like, I watch anime because it's DIFFERENT from Disney! If i wanted to watch Disney Star Wars, I'd just watch a Star Wars movie!

I do acknowledge that one of the producers was Justin Leach, who created the Netflix original CGI anime EDEN. Also I was happy to see a lot of anime dub actors in it!

Edited by elfie

On 9/23/2021 at 7:43 AM, Jman said:

Lightsabers in the rain was done once.  Genndy’s Clone Wars.

Oh yeah that's right!

On 9/23/2021 at 8:43 AM, elfie said:

I still have to watch the last three.  I dunno.  I guess I was spoiled by the Animatrix, or Robot Carnival, because I was expecting them all to be more ..... what's the word? Varied? ... experimental? Like so far the first one, The Duel, looked the most different from a Star Wars series to me. I don't even think each Japanese creator got to write their own sequence! It felt like Disney got one of their writers and storyboarders to do ALL of them, and the anime studios just animated to all that, resulting in a very safe compilation that all felt like they had the same pacing, cinematography, and amount of dialogue. Even TRIGGER, who I know can tell a story without dialogue, had the one with the MOST dialogue!! :( .... like, I watch anime because it's DIFFERENT from Disney! If i wanted to watch Disney Star Wars, I'd just watch a Star Wars movie!

I do acknowledge that one of the producers was Justin Leach, who created the Netflix original CGI anime EDEN. Also I was happy to see a lot of anime dub actors in it!

Uh, no, that's not what happened at all.  Each studio was given the freedom to create their own shorts, independently of each other.  That's probably why some felt similar, because I don't believe each studio knew what the others were making.  Go watch the extras behind the scenes stuff on Disney Plus after you finish the episodes.  I know some people wished an episode about starfighter pilots would have been done.  Most of the episodes were Jedi or Sith centric, which is probably what most of the creators were biggest fans of.

But, I didn't think they were that similar in any other ways?  The Twins was Trigger incarnate!  Way over the top and crazy.  The director for the other Trigger short said he wanted to do something that isn't what people think of when it comes to Trigger.  I'd say he succeeded, but The Elder felt too plain to me.

I really don't see how you can say they felt similar, when The Duel used 3D graphics and simulated and old black and white Samurai movie?  Tattoine Raphsody used chibi cutesy art style and was about a band?  We definitely never saw anything like that before in Star Wars.  T0-B1 used classic anime style, it made me think of Astro Boy.  It turns out Lop and Ocho used hand painted backgrounds, and used various filters and techniques to make it appear as fully cel style older anime.  I can go on and on.  The shorts were mostly dissimilar, except for featuring Jedi and/or Sith.  

Edited by ben0119

4 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Oh yeah that's right!

Uh, no, that's not what happened at all.  Each studio was given the freedom to create their own shorts, independently of each other.  That's probably why some felt similar, because I don't believe each studio knew what the others were making.  Go watch the extras behind the scenes stuff on Disney Plus after you finish the episodes.  I know some people wished an episode about starfighter pilots would have been done.  Most of the episodes were Jedi or Sith centric, which is probably what most of the creators were biggest fans of.

But, I didn't think they were that similar in any other ways?  The Twins was Trigger incarnate!  Way over the top and crazy.  The director for the other Trigger short said he wanted to do something that isn't what people think of when it comes to Trigger.  I'd say he succeeded, but The Elder felt too plain to me.

I really don't see how you can say they felt similar, when The Duel used 3D graphics and simulated and old black and white Samurai movie?  Tattoine Raphsody used chibi cutesy art style and was about a band?  We definitely never saw anything like that before in Star Wars.  T0-B1 used classic anime style, it made me think of Astro Boy.  It turns out Lop and Ocho used hand painted backgrounds, and used various filters and techniques to make it appear as fully cel style older anime.  I can go on and on.  The shorts were mostly dissimilar, except for featuring Jedi and/or Sith.  

Hmmm. Well I didn't read the end credits, so this is news to me.

When I said they all feel similar, I was talking about the writing. They all looked very different from one another.

So far, I watched four of the shorts (Tatooine Rhapsody, The Twins, The Village Bride, and The Elder).

I was looking forward to the Trigger shorts, but I honestly enjoyed the Village Bride and Tatooine Rhapsody the most. I still need to see the other ones, especially The Ninth Jedi and Lop & Ocho. 

It is weird how many celebrity voices there were in this, but of the shorts I saw, only The Twins felt like it was oddly cast. 

• Like 1

I was also happily surprised to find that the dub was produced and directed by NYAV Post. Although I probably shouldn't be surprised, because they dub pretty much any foreign-language movie/show that comes here that isn't licensed by one of the more common licensers, Disney now being an outlier. It reminds me of the days when Disney DIRECTLY owned the distribution rights for Ghibli films, although there they filled all the roles with more celebrity talent.

On 9/26/2021 at 9:51 AM, elfie said:

Hmmm. Well I didn't read the end credits, so this is news to me.

When I said they all feel similar, I was talking about the writing. They all looked very different from one another.

You don't have to read the end credits.  Like I said, check out the extras that shows a making of for the concept overall, and each specific short.  They're really interesting, actually.  Well, again, some similar concepts, and like I said, the creators were probably all big fans of Jedi and Sith.  Still, T0-B1 and Tattooine Raphsody stood pretty far apart from the others in writing and tone as well.

On 9/26/2021 at 12:07 PM, MasqueradeOverture said:

I need a full Ninth Jedi TV series.

Get the fuck on that shit I.G./Lucasfilm.

On the making of for this, the director said they would like to come the story, but that is up to the audience!  I really hope it does get made into a full series!

On 9/28/2021 at 6:53 PM, PokeNirvash said:

Semi-regular reminder that while I thought the Dandy musical episode was pretty good overall, the High School Caste System song was inconsistent at best and maximum cringe at worst.

Out of Tattooine Raphsody, UA School Festival, and Dandy musical episode, Dandy was by far the most enjoyable.  But I thought it was supposed to be kind of cheesy and corny and over the top on purpose?