UnevenEdge

discolé monade

1 hour ago, wacky1980 said:

wife took a bit to get used to it, but she pushed thru. i watched and helped with problem solving. turned into a really, really good game.

don't give up.

i won't. a LOT of games start that way for me. 

that visual..sea sickness, car sick kind of feeling from the camera movement. 

Spoiler

also...i wish i had known to just crawl up in a ball and save my ammo that first encounter. *sigh*

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i played RE7 and RE8 back-to-back and 7 excelled at the pants-shitting, aesthetic/ambient psychological horror but 8 excelled at assertive adventuring. people say it's like a spiritual successor to re4 in that way and they're not necessarily wrong.

8 hours ago, Raptorpat said:

i played RE7 and RE8 back-to-back and 7 excelled at the pants-shitting, aesthetic/ambient psychological horror but 8 excelled at assertive adventuring. people say it's like a spiritual successor to re4 in that way and they're not necessarily wrong.

i agree. this game reminds me a lot of 4, which was my jam. 

7 was creepy af! i was just glad the franchise got back to the basics. i have to wait to play it so mid can watch. 

*he can't play 'cause he's too scared*

No RE game will ever come close to 4 in my opinion.

I do see a lot of similarities between 4 and 8, but I still think 4 holds the title of best RE game ever. I am also fond of the first one.

7 was creepy and it was good to see them get out of the slump 5 and 6 put them in. 8 isn't terrible. Not as creepy as 7 to me, and while it reminds me of 4 in several ways, it doesn't seem as much like a RE game as some of the others. I am not a fan at all of crafting in games. Just give me my shit. So, I didn't care to see that aspect brought into a RE game. There wasn't crafting in 7 was there? I can't remember. 

And holy shit is everything expensive at the Duke's shop? Whoa.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, resurrected said:

I am not a fan at all of crafting in games. Just give me my shit. So, I didn't care to see that aspect brought into a RE game. There wasn't crafting in 7 was there? I can't remember. 

Crafting was in most of the games in some capacity - combining herbs and other items, etc. RE3 was the first game to have crafting ammo, and they brought that back in 7, the 2/3 remakes, and then 8.

I vaguely recall talking to you over a year ago about wanting to play through all the RE games sequentially because it had been a while since I played all the ones available on gamecube and there were several more recent ones I hadn't played yet, and it took about a year to do it because of adulthood etc. I subbed in the RE2 and RE3 remakes for the originals, and I missed Code Veronica X because I played through everything on steam and for some reason that's the only main game not available there.

The remake of RE1 is still my favorite. RE4 was a landmark game for a number of reasons, but I think it departed too much from the feeling of RE such that it may be a perfect game, but it isn't a perfect RE game if that makes any sense. Then 5 and 6 learned the wrong lessons from 4 and departed even further into pure action and the plot/characters shifted further into like superhero anime, hence the need for a reset (the two Revelations games I think tried to find balance, but they were also comparatively forgettable and the characters were very anime).

But those earlier hours of 7 successfully triggered all the long-dormant horror anxieties that I hadn't experienced since I played 1 as a teen so it definitely gets accolades for nailing the authentic feeling of what RE is supposed to be (also the FPS perspective and playing with a headset both totally amplified that by factors). And then RE8 felt like an attempt to marry the spirit of 1/7 with the spirit of 4. It doesn't rise to the top in either one of those categories, but it felt like a near-perfect cocktail of both sides.

A 2/3-style remake is in development for 4, so we'll see how that shakes out. I recall Capcom reset development because the team was adhering too close to a literal remake instead of a more spiritual remake like its two predecessors, so we'll see. I also didn't think there was a need at first, but playing the 2/3 remakes really made me realize that the "modern" remake of 1 is nearly 20 year old and it might by time for a re-remake.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

Crafting was in most of the games in some capacity - combining herbs and other items, etc. RE3 was the first game to have crafting ammo, and they brought that back in 7, the 2/3 remakes, and then 8.

I vaguely recall talking to you over a year ago about wanting to play through all the RE games sequentially because it had been a while since I played all the ones available on gamecube and there were several more recent ones I hadn't played yet, and it took about a year to do it because of adulthood etc. I subbed in the RE2 and RE3 remakes for the originals, and I missed Code Veronica X because I played through everything on steam and for some reason that's the only main game not available there.

The remake of RE1 is still my favorite. RE4 was a landmark game for a number of reasons, but I think it departed too much from the feeling of RE such that it may be a perfect game, but it isn't a perfect RE game if that makes any sense. Then 5 and 6 learned the wrong lessons from 4 and departed even further into pure action and the plot/characters shifted further into like superhero anime, hence the need for a reset (the two Revelations games I think tried to find balance, but they were also comparatively forgettable and the characters were very anime).

But those earlier hours of 7 successfully triggered all the long-dormant horror anxieties that I hadn't experienced since I played 1 as a teen so it definitely gets accolades for nailing the authentic feeling of what RE is supposed to be (also the FPS perspective and playing with a headset both totally amplified that by factors). And then RE8 felt like an attempt to marry the spirit of 1/7 with the spirit of 4. It doesn't rise to the top in either one of those categories, but it felt like a near-perfect cocktail of both sides.

A 2/3-style remake is in development for 4, so we'll see how that shakes out. I recall Capcom reset development because the team was adhering too close to a literal remake instead of a more spiritual remake like its two predecessors, so we'll see. I also didn't think there was a need at first, but playing the 2/3 remakes really made me realize that the "modern" remake of 1 is nearly 20 year old and it might by time for a re-remake.

I have watched all the games played and beaten by disco. I did play 4, only after she got the machine gun with unlimited ammo, after beating it twice. 

I forgot about crafting in any of the other games. I didn't really consider mixing herbs crafting, as much as having to find scrap metal and the like to make things in 8. But I do recall now, gunpowder being in other games, so I stand corrected. This one just felt a little more Assassin's Creedish and Falloutish with the crafting. 

The first game is the creepiest in my opinion. Fuck the Lisa Trevor fight and anything to do with her. The crimson head zombies were hell too. It was awkward as hell to control the characters in 1 and 0. 

2 remake was fun to watch, but the 3 remake seemed like a very short game. I liked it, but it wasn't long enough to me.

5 and 6 are forgettable. 

Code Veronica was an awesome game that desperately needs a remake. Just a graphics enhancement. Don't redo the story or anything. Just improve on graphics and mechanics. 

I didn't care for Revelations 2, but I thought Revelations 1 was creepy as hell. I liked the ghost ship aspect of it. 

7 also seemed like a short game. But I was glad to see the creep factor return. 

disco has beaten 3 of the 4 Lords in 8. I did not like the Moreau area. That's where it would have been game over for me. She had me roaming around just collecting stuff in another area, because it was supposed to be cleared of bad guys, and of course, that's where we were introduced to one of the big werewolves. Almost made me shit my pants when he jumped out. I killed it, and kindly handed the controller back to her. I enjoy watching her play them, but I want no part in playing them myself. I prefer sports games and action games like Assassin's Creed. 

I have Goosebumps 2 on the Switch and that was too much for me. I couldn't play it. 

34 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

i like the setup for whatever comes next. shit got wild as hell at the end.

in retrospect it kind of made solid sense (spoilers, obviously)

Spoiler

this is the same canon as all the old resident evil games, none of those characters were superheroes (well, at least not until RE5 and the boulder-punching) so it was super conspicuous throughout 7 and 8 how much of a beating ethan took beyond the obvious. all the losing and reattaching limbs, getting scooped up by the mold on the tanker, getting *cutscene canon* bit by the lycan ripping his fingers off but never turning like the old man, and so on. that he died at the beginning of RE7 when jack curbstomped him at first felt like a retcon but it feels more and more like it was intended from the onset.

not sure gameplaywise where they'll go from here because the end clip with rose made it seem like she'll be the focal point, but I can't image an RE game where you play as a BOW while maintaining the survival/horror feel (unless she's the narrative mcguffin for another player-character).

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

in retrospect it kind of made solid sense (spoilers, obviously)

Reveal hidden contents

this is the same canon as all the old resident evil games, none of those characters were superheroes (well, at least not until RE5 and the boulder-punching) so it was super conspicuous throughout 7 and 8 how much of a beating ethan took beyond the obvious. all the losing and reattaching limbs, getting scooped up by the mold on the tanker, getting *cutscene canon* bit by the lycan ripping his fingers off but never turning like the old man, and so on. that he died at the beginning of RE7 when jack curbstomped him at first felt like a retcon but it feels more and more like it was intended from the onset.

not sure gameplaywise where they'll go from here because the end clip with rose made it seem like she'll be the focal point, but I can't image an RE game where you play as a BOW while maintaining the survival/horror feel (unless she's the narrative mcguffin for another player-character).

Spoiler

I don't understand why it said this was the father's story's end, but we see what is presumably Ethan walking down the road at the very end. And didn't they say that BOW on the helicopter was from 7? Like, wtf was that thing still laying around after 3-4 years? In any event, I'm looking forward to watching disco play through again, but with infinite ammo. 

Just now, resurrected said:
  Hide contents

I don't understand why it said this was the father's story's end, but we see what is presumably Ethan walking down the road at the very end. And didn't they say that BOW on the helicopter was from 7? Like, wtf was that thing still laying around after 3-4 years? In any event, I'm looking forward to watching disco play through again, but with infinite ammo. 

Spoiler

I would have to see Chris' end cutscene again because I missed half the dialogue. but for that final scene, I think it was just a blurry guy in the distance with no indication as to who it was and fans discovered it was Ethan's character model by manipulating the camera. my own opinion is that until otherwise shown, I don't think it was him and they were just using the model out of laziness or cheekiness given it was never supposed to be seen up close.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raptorpat said:
  Hide contents

I would have to see Chris' end cutscene again because I missed half the dialogue. but for that final scene, I think it was just a blurry guy in the distance with no indication as to who it was and fans discovered it was Ethan's character model by manipulating the camera. my own opinion is that until otherwise shown, I don't think it was him and they were just using the model out of laziness or cheekiness given it was never supposed to be seen up close.

Spoiler

I kind of thought the same thing about whether or not it was Ethan. I also have no idea who it could be, unless Leon is finally coming back. Or maybe Wesker isn't really dead, because he never really dies. I have no clue. Of course, it was so blurry and so far away, it might not be a man. Could be Ada Wong, but I don't think she's main event enough to have a cliffhanger. 

Spoiler

My guess is they don't have anyone in particular in mind, probably just another nameless agent (maybe the one that guy was talking to) and that it was more of a visual than a specific plot event. Otherwise they'll write it into someone important when the do the next one.

On 7/8/2021 at 10:17 PM, Vamped said:

I feel like this is the clip @molarbear sent me ... at night without any context and made me get up and turn my lights on.

I may have sent a clip of the Elevator scene >.>

Just be glad you weren't in the party for that part on my first play through, I'm pretty sure Pedro's ear drums are still healing from the strange, frightened yell I managed to get out

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, molarbear said:

I may have sent a clip of the Elevator scene >.>

Just be glad you weren't in the party for that part on my first play through, I'm pretty sure Pedro's ear drums are still healing from the strange, frightened yell I managed to get out

Yeaaaah Im not playing it alone in my apartment XD

I have to get in a specific head space for horror games. Like "this isnt scary, Im an action hero" because thats the only way I got through  DeadSpace. I cant do it with the miniature roaming because nothing fucks you up like already being on edge and then hearing velociraptor calls at random intervals

>.> 

Or playing while he's asleep and then there's suddenly a small shadow in the hall.

Plus the times Ive peeked at Pat play the previous ones I realized .... oh so everyone doesnt talk to the characters as they play.

Im sitting there having whole conversations with Leon/Claire/Chris (but no Ada because my ankles and arches hurt watching her do her sexy spy stuff in heels)

"Come on Leon, we gotta get our shit together, flick our bangs and apply our chapstick.... they are not making bitches out of us today"

3 hours ago, Vamped said:

Plus the times Ive peeked at Pat play the previous ones I realized .... oh so everyone doesnt talk to the characters as they play.

i think the reason people started watching me was that i wouldn't talk but my gameplay was plainly deliberative and easy to follow my train of thought, but then it all halts as i get a good jumpscare and unholy unspellable noises blurt out of my mouth and everyone laughs at me.

On 7/11/2021 at 1:00 PM, Raptorpat said:

i think the reason people started watching me was that i wouldn't talk but my gameplay was plainly deliberative and easy to follow my train of thought, but then it all halts as i get a good jumpscare and unholy unspellable noises blurt out of my mouth and everyone laughs at me.

My gameplay is .... WING IT and hope we dont get murdered!

I always say "we" when I talk to the main character so they know Im invested in not letting them die gruesome deaths as much as possible 

I still get anxiety at the sound of chainsaws 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...