UnevenEdge

I've shown this building here before, but now there's an update.

Sofa King Kule

The building is now being demolished to make way for a university related development.

People are operating bulldozers and backhoes both inside the building and even way up on the roof.  Yes, the building was indeed designed to be that sturdy.

Look at the rubble.  Look at the exposed beams at the top.  Do You see any wood?  I don't.  I never expected to.  I had been employed inside it.  So, I know about the brick walls, both for support and for partition.  I know that it had been named, "Eldridge Fireproof Warehouse".  A building advertised as "fireproof" would never be constructed of combustible material such as wood.

Yet, I had people on this board who had never known it by anything other than a picture of its facade who quite adamantly said that no building of such small size would ever be all concrete, brick and steel - that the floors, roof and partion walls were wood and that there are no exceptions.

So, I guess all the guys who have to chip away at it with jackhammers, pick axes and bulldozers on the roof are all quite stupid and wrongheaded too.  Like, why don't they just use a claw crane to rip it all down like any other wood building?

IMG_20210525_143106437.jpg

• D'oh 2

Unless that's a parking garage, there's no way that industrial machinery is on the roof. 

Better yet, what are they tearing down on the ROOF? Nothing above it but SKY.

If they're tearing it DOWN from the TOP, they are coming down along with the debris.

Jesus Fuck.

11 minutes ago, resurrected said:

Unless that's a parking garage, there's no way that industrial machinery is on the roof. 

If they're tearing it DOWN from the TOP, they are coming down along with the debris.

Jesus Fuck.

They know what to break away and what to leave alone.  The building had been taller.  The top floor is now the roof, temporarily.

I'm no construction expert, but if the wood wasn't load-bearing, and if it is predominantly concrete and steel I don't know why it would be, it would make sense to me that it would be removed first.

So, how do we know it wasn't removed from the building and taken elsewhere before you took the picture?

Edited by PenguinBoss

4 minutes ago, PenguinBoss said:

I'm no construction expert, but if the wood wasn't load-bearing, and if it is predominantly concrete and steel I don't know why it would be, it would make sense to me that it would be removed first.

So, how do we know it wasn't removed from the building and taken elsewhere before you took the picture?

Because a building made of combustible material can't be called, "fireproof".

But, I already covered that.

36 minutes ago, Sofa King Kule said:

Because a building made of combustible material can't be called, "fireproof".

But, I already covered that.

So this is the one thing you take at face value? You probably think your car's warranty is about to expire and that someone hacked your Amazon account, too.

3 minutes ago, PenguinBoss said:

So this is the one thing you take at face value? You probably think your car's warranty is about to expire and that someone hacked your Amazon account, too.

Oh, okay and so now you go ahead and acuse the fire department official who at the time of its construction had to certify the building as such prior to allowing it to be advertised as such of cooking the books.

You do realize, of course, that it had undergone numerous inspections and recerts over the many years prior to its closure to that particular purpose?

There had been several different officials involved.

8 minutes ago, Sofa King Kule said:

Oh, okay and so now you go ahead and acuse the fire department official who at the time of its construction had to certify the building as such prior to allowing it to be advertised as such of cooking the books.

You do realize, of course, that it had undergone numerous inspections and recerts over the many years prior to its closure to that particular purpose?

There had been several different officials involved.

How do I know that the fire department says it's fireproof? All I have is you saying they did.

2 hours ago, resurrected said:

Jesus Fuck.

So, here's the pic, showing the back hoe.  What did you expect to see, up there, on the roof... A fiddler, perhaps?

IMG_20210526_183603193.jpg