UnevenEdge

The Promised Neverland Season 2 "Episode 5" Discussion!!!

2 minutes ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

this would make a pretty good video game, though.... half assassin's creed, half pseudo zombi survival

Throw in some base building and resource management and i'd play that game

• Like 4

I hate that I can't ever seem to stay up late for this show anymore. And next week is probably going to be even worse. Maybe I should start drinking coffee or Red Bull on Saturday nights or something?

Episode 5 - The Promised Neverland Season 2 - Anime News Network

3 stars. And man, did Norman's return hit me!! Not so much the other stuff that happened in this episode though.

• Like 1

Finally caught up with the episode.

I knew it. Once I saw the year-older versions of the children featured prominently in the opening, that was my first answer as to why everyone hates this season.

THERE WAS NO TIME SKIP IN THE MANGA.

• Sad 1

On 5/9/2021 at 10:56 AM, OwlChemist81 said:

I hate that I can't ever seem to stay up late for this show anymore. And next week is probably going to be even worse. Maybe I should start drinking coffee or Red Bull on Saturday nights or something?

Episode 5 - The Promised Neverland Season 2 - Anime News Network

3 stars. And man, did Norman's return hit me!! Not so much the other stuff that happened in this episode though.

Find a legit espresso brand (Bustello is a good one) and fire it up before you start to feel exhausted. The cold Starbucks type drinks they sell in convenience stores are garbage imo. Another thing I know I cant do if I'm trying to stay up is eat late, like after 12. I'm out cold without fail within a half hour if I cave and eat something too late.

Edited by saito34
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2021 at 2:30 PM, elfie said:

Finally caught up with the episode.

I knew it. Once I saw the year-older versions of the children featured prominently in the opening, that was my first answer as to why everyone hates this season.

THERE WAS NO TIME SKIP IN THE MANGA.

Oh shit are you serious?!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Oh shit are you serious?!

From this article. WARNING: THIS LINK CONTAINS ANIME AND MANGA SPOILERS EVEN THOUGH THE FOLLOWING ENTRY OVERALL DOES NOT. https://www.otaquest.com/what-the-hell-the-promised-neverland-season-2/

This transformative approach didn’t really become apparent until the second half of episode four, and was eventually confirmed in a big way by the entirety of episode five. Episodes one and two do adapt the Promised Forest arc relatively quickly, but this works surprisingly well; episode three then leads into what appears to be the Search for Minerva arc, but this is quickly cut across in episode four when pursuers from Grace Field House infiltrate the bunker.

In any case, by the time we end up at episode five (the latest episode of The Promised Neverland season 2 as of the time of writing) we’re firmly into content from the King of Paradise arc, alongside a whole host of other anime-original content.

The net result of all of this is that The Promised Neverland season 2 has skipped almost a third of the original manga. Even when it does adapt it, it only adapts some of it, and whole arcs, such as the Goldy Pond Battle arc, are left on the cutting room floor.

For a Weekly Shonen Jump adaptation, this is very unusual. Given that the magazine has such a large audience, studios don’t tend to feel the need to compress or skip story for fear of not getting another season: this would be the equivalent of Studio MAPPA skipping the Goodwill Event arc of Jujutsu Kaisen to get to the Shibuya Incident. In fact, it’s hard to even think of the last time that a Jump manga got this sort of adaptational treatment.

The big question is, therefore, why? Goldy Pond is a beloved story arc that introduces no small amount of characters and was arguably the series’ last great narrative before settling into a long-term decline. The amount of rage and anger floating around The Promised Neverland fan community right now is palpable, so this merits an explanation.

Edited by elfie
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2021 at 12:15 PM, elfie said:

From this article. WARNING: THIS LINK CONTAINS ANIME AND MANGA SPOILERS EVEN THOUGH THE FOLLOWING ENTRY OVERALL DOES NOT. https://www.otaquest.com/what-the-hell-the-promised-neverland-season-2/

This transformative approach didn’t really become apparent until the second half of episode four, and was eventually confirmed in a big way by the entirety of episode five. Episodes one and two do adapt the Promised Forest arc relatively quickly, but this works surprisingly well; episode three then leads into what appears to be the Search for Minerva arc, but this is quickly cut across in episode four when pursuers from Grace Field House infiltrate the bunker.

In any case, by the time we end up at episode five (the latest episode of The Promised Neverland season 2 as of the time of writing) we’re firmly into content from the King of Paradise arc, alongside a whole host of other anime-original content.

The net result of all of this is that The Promised Neverland season 2 has skipped almost a third of the original manga. Even when it does adapt it, it only adapts some of it, and whole arcs, such as the Goldy Pond Battle arc, are left on the cutting room floor.

For a Weekly Shonen Jump adaptation, this is very unusual. Given that the magazine has such a large audience, studios don’t tend to feel the need to compress or skip story for fear of not getting another season: this would be the equivalent of Studio MAPPA skipping the Goodwill Event arc of Jujutsu Kaisen to get to the Shibuya Incident. In fact, it’s hard to even think of the last time that a Jump manga got this sort of adaptational treatment.

The big question is, therefore, why? Goldy Pond is a beloved story arc that introduces no small amount of characters and was arguably the series’ last great narrative before settling into a long-term decline. The amount of rage and anger floating around The Promised Neverland fan community right now is palpable, so this merits an explanation.

Well that truly is baffling.  The writer of the article even said it is almost unheard of for this to happen to other Weekly Shonen Jump series.  They had a perfect opportunity to adapt it properly so why screw it up?  It makes no sense to change things up and skip so much.  It's like doing the anime-original ending when you don't have to.  Although, that is disappointing to hear that the manga story quality apparently declines anyway.

• D'oh 1