UnevenEdge

I liked Skyward Sword quite a bit.

Greeny

It took me until the very end of the game to figure out that slow, methodical sword swings were the best way to go, as I was still used to wagglemotion from the TP port.

It was a very different Zelda game, one of the most linear and with the least sense of a unified overworld. Seems to me that they totally overcompensated in the other direction with ALBW (testing nonlinear play) and ultimately BotW (open world RPG).

It wasn't without it's faults (going back to the same three worlds three different times) but it wasn't bad once you got used to the swordplay.  I liked the crafting system for weapons and shields.  Just complicated enough to be enjoyable, not like some RPGs which expect you to grind for 30 hours to get an item you no longer need.

Too bad, we'll never see Skyward Sword get an HD re-release.  Since was built heavily utilizing Wii Motion Plus, it would be impossible to port to the Switch or any other Nintendo System without rebuilding the entire game.  So if you like the game, keep your copy and a working Wii.

dont forget the wii u can also play wii games.

i don't know about a skyward sword remake though, the joycons have good motion controls in themselves so it might not be that hard to make a remake.

the art style would definitely benefit from more stronger hardware.

my biggest gripes with skyward sword actually have to do with an over emphasis on story and the mostly boring sky. it had a few other annoying stuff like the backtracking but the game was still fun to play.

I think it handled returning to the zones pretty well, given how linear they were. They gave you new sections to explore or twisted the environment into something new. I think the late return to the Eldon volcano area, where you lose all your items and weapons and you have to sneak and rebuild your inventory under the cover of night, was pretty clever.

The sky hub was absolutely devoid of anything interesting though. It was like windwaker's ocean but more extreme.

dont forget the wii u can also play wii games.

i don't know about a skyward sword remake though, the joycons have good motion controls in themselves so it might not be that hard to make a remake.

the art style would definitely benefit from more stronger hardware.

my biggest gripes with skyward sword actually have to do with an over emphasis on story and the mostly boring sky. it had a few other annoying stuff like the backtracking but the game was still fun to play.

Yeah, but who the hell bought that dump of a system?  That's the only Nintendo console I never bought.  I have an NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, and Wii (and will get the Switch) but I never got that one because they bombed that one horribly.

I actually liked the story in Skyward Sword.  I thought it was nice seeing a more detailed story.  And the origins of the trio (who seem to engage in an endless fight throughout the timelines, centuries, and series)  are finally explained: the spirit of the Hero, the blood of the Goddess, and the hatred of the Demon all bound up in a curse brought about by the events of Skyward Sword.

I agree with the sky.  Everyone agrees with the sky.  That was a complete waste of an overworld.  In comparison, Hyrule Field from OoT, was way more interesting even though it was so much smaller, though it didn't seem so back in the day.  I remember the first time I walked out onto it.  I was stunned.

I enjoyed what Skyward Sword brought to the table in its story, characters, gameplay, and artstyle. The only thing that ruined it for me is how vacant everything felt once the world opened up. Large patches of sky between floating dungeons and small islands made the game feel much smaller and less exciting to navigate around compared to exploring Hyrule in ALTTP and OoT or going on an expedition across the sea in WW.

I only played through it once. From what I remember it was fun, but the kind of game I'd probably only play once every 3 or 4 years if that. Then again, alotta 3D Zelda's are like that. Definitely preferred Wind Waker, and maybe a couple others.

Also, did we really need to fight the giant thing with the white toes what felt like a hundred times?

I've had it sitting around for years, but I'm actually finally playing through it for the first time now; I recently bought a refurbished Wii U, so I've been going through a big kick of grabbing/playing Wii titles I missed.  It took me a while to get the hang of the MotionPlus controls (slow steady moves are a must), and the early game felt a bit bogged-down, but it's growing on me.  I was a bit miffed that I had to look up a solution for the first real puzzle in the very first dungeon, but the game definitely did a poor job of telegraphing the mechanic required for it. (Wasn't until way later that I realized that the Sheikah Stones are pretty much an in-game walkthrough, but it would have been a royal pain in the ass to go all the way back to it at that point.)  I don't mind the isolated surface areas so much, though I do sort of miss the existence of any additional villages besides Skyloft.  I'm one of the people who super-enjoyed sailing around Wind Waker's oceans, so seeing a far more barren "overworld" was a bummer.  And dear lord, now I can see why everyone utterly loathed Fi circa 2011--shut the hell up already!  That being said, the overall story presentation has been enjoyable, some elements of the dungeon design (like the time-shifting stones) are really creative,  and when the motion controls are pulled off right (like with the beetle) they're a lot of fun.  Plus the few full-orchestral tracks in the game sound fantastic.  I've already played for several hours when I should have been doing more productive stuff, so that's always a good sign.

(Also I just read about the Ballad of the Goddess being Zelda's Lullaby played backwards, and it's blowing my goddamn mind.)