UnevenEdge

No "Next Time!" Episode promo's last night during toonami

CountFrylock

6 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I don’t mind sustaining promos just as long as they play them regularly.

Are they allergic to lineup promos though? We haven’t had one since February.

Line-up promos were likely dropped due to the unknown fluxes of shows that were in dubbing process as the pandemic was starting. Since there was always a possibility that something would get a hiccup, not having an active lineup promo meant they'd be able to post 'live-time' line-ups via social media at a lesser cost the second it happened instead of someone trying to reprogram the bump feed at the last minute. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

Hopefully the latter, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the former, as a cost-cutting measure following AT&T's colossally boneheaded decision to ax [as]'s digital department.

it just sucks because they were finally starting to promote fire force season 2 after bungling the toonami premiere to the point where some didn't even realize Season 2 was starting that week

so to go from that to toonami not being promoted at all on air isn't good

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, elfie said:

I think I saw two in a row air during DB Super.

That makes sense because they were last week's. I suppose it's possible that due to the Thanksgiving holiday they just needed a bit more time to make the ones for this week, but so far there have been no topical promos for:

Sword Art Online: Alicization - War Of Underworld Episode 17

Fire Force Season 2 Episode 5

Assassination Classroom Episode 14

Gemusetto Death Beat(s) episode 9 (& 10)

• Like 2

If the decision to stop making topicals was because of AT&T's budget cuts, that kind of makes sense... because this is a really low-effort thing to do. All you need are two canned lines from the announcer and the ability to clip ten seconds or so from the episode. It's the kind of thing DeMarco could do in his spare time. 🥴

well we have our answer....last night i saw a generic 15 second commercial for sword art online instead of a weekly topical explaining the next episode

so the other shows will probably get generic commercials as well stating the show's on saturdays at "Insert time here" instead of Next saturday at "Insert time here"

this sucks in my opinion since fire force never really had weekly promo's during S1 and S2 only got to have a couple before they quit doing them entirely

https://www.facebook.com/Toonami/posts/2603003143323850  

that post has the fire force sustaining promo

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Hopefully the latter, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the former, as a cost-cutting measure following AT&T's colossally boneheaded decision to ax [as]'s digital department.

it really seems like that's the case and as i stated just now....it really sucks because that comes at the expense of fire force's weekly commercials

without these....people who haven't watched them really don't know what's gonna happen next  not even a brief idea to build up hype

and if they try looking up online for the answer they could run into spoilers

i think weekly promo's helped build hype for certain shows leading up to the next toonami

without them there's no real hype build up because nobody would know there is a hype worthy moment coming unless they've already seen the episode

Edited by CountFrylock

22 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Gee if only there was a way for people to find out exactly which episodes are airing on which dates.  Even better, what if there was a magical box that automatically recorded every airing of a series? I can't wait for the future!

an episode title usually doesn't tell you what's gonna happen in the next episode itself and searching for that info can lead to spoilers for those who haven't seen the episode

the weekly promo's helped build hype without giving too much away

now it's just "what's gonna happen next week? Tune In To Find Out!"  No Tease Or Hype at all

which makes the build up from one week to the next non-existent

because if you haven't seen the episodes yet  you don't know if you should be excited or not

you don't know if it'll be boring or amazing

it's just "I Hope this episode doesn't suck"  which isn't really a good mindset to have waiting for the next edition of toonami

17 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

well we have our answer....last night i saw a generic 15 second commercial for sword art online instead of a weekly topical explaining the next episode

so the other shows will probably get generic commercials as well stating the show's on saturdays at "Insert time here" instead of Next saturday at "Insert time here"

this sucks in my opinion since fire force never really had weekly promo's during S1 and S2 only got to have a couple before they quit doing them entirely

https://www.facebook.com/Toonami/posts/2603003143323850  

that post has the fire force sustaining promo

AT&T is ruining Toonami.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

an episode title usually doesn't tell you what's gonna happen in the next episode itself and searching for that info can lead to spoilers for those who haven't seen the episode

the weekly promo's helped build hype without giving too much away

now it's just "what's gonna happen next week? Tune In To Find Out!"  No Tease Or Hype at all

which makes the build up from one week to the next non-existent

because if you haven't seen the episodes yet  you don't know if you should be excited or not

you don't know if it'll be boring or amazing

it's just "I Hope this episode doesn't suck"  which isn't really a good mindset to have waiting for the next edition of toonami

Most people find out what's going to happen next in a show by, y'know, continuing to watch the show.

Like seriously, this is the absolute dumbest shit to whine about.

• Like 1
  • D'oh 1

5 hours ago, elfie said:

AT&T is ruining Toonami.

it could simply be toonami not really finding it worth the effort to keep doing this every week when they are already dealing with enough crap with this pandemic

however the fact it happened so early in Fire Force Season two does make me wonder what's really going on as i doubt they'd suddenly decide to remove the weekly promo's for no reason whatsoever

3 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Most people find out what's going to happen next in a show by, y'know, continuing to watch the show.

Like seriously, this is the absolute dumbest shit to whine about.

the reason the topical promo's existed in the first place was to drum up hype for the episodes and give a little tease into what's happening next

without them the lead up from one toonami to the next is identical and hype isn't built or maintained

just a bunch of sustaining promo's that remind us "this exists!"

that's good for people who don't know about toonami or what these shows are about

but for people who have been tuning in for weeks already

these sustaining promo's serve no purpose at all

Edited by CountFrylock

You seem way too concerned about this for your own good.

I mean yeah, I also think it sucks whenever [as] doesn't promote something as often as they used to - lord knows the frustration I felt when they didn't bother making any on-air promos for Geass and Moribito back in the ACTN Dark Ages - but I don't let myself lose any sleep over it. Hell, personally, I'm glad they got rid of the episode-specific topicals; that way, I can now watch my recordings in whatever order I want without fear of having to fast-forward through the topicals for shows I haven't watched yet.

Besides, I don't think they'll be gone forever. They got rid of them after Titan premieres finished up, then brought them back in time for One Punch Man. It's a pattern, and I'm gonna let it play out, instead of whining about it like someone who doesn't know how to channel their depressive bouts over nothing into something productive but unimportant.

• D'oh 1

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

You seem way too concerned about this for your own good.

I mean yeah, I also think it sucks whenever [as] doesn't promote something as often as they used to - lord knows the frustration I felt when they didn't bother making any on-air promos for Geass and Moribito back in the ACTN Dark Ages - but I don't let myself lose any sleep over it. Hell, personally, I'm glad they got rid of the episode-specific topicals; that way, I can now watch my recordings in whatever order I want without fear of having to fast-forward through the topicals for shows I haven't watched yet.

Besides, I don't think they'll be gone forever. They got rid of them after Titan premieres finished up, then brought them back in time for One Punch Man. It's a pattern, and I'm gonna let it play out, instead of whining about it like someone who doesn't know how to channel their depressive bouts over nothing into something productive but unimportant.

So I'm mentally ill and depressive because i made this topic?.....that seems like one hell of a reach to be making and it's a even bigger one to imply I'm losing sleep over this while throwing a tantrum in my own home

no it's just with the long list of things AT&T's massive money troubles have ruined

it's a bit silly to just brush this off and act like it's business as usual when this entire year hasn't been business as usual for toonami

we can't say what will or won't happen because of not only the pandemic but AT&T

if this was a normal year yeah sure this wouldn't even be a blip on my radar however it isn't a normal year

not for toonami and certainly not for the world

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Hold up, I wouldn't go that far outside of simile, it's just that you keep reiterating the same thing whenever someone confronts you on it, that it kind of comes off as obnoxious/a cry for help.

hey i didn't start this topic to have it turn into a therapy session

I'm not crying out for help   

if this topic or my responses anger/annoy you then I'm sorry

it wasn't intended to be some sly troll attempt nor was it a subtle request for help from a person sick in the head

i just felt the need to post the latest update regarding toonami(which this time affected the weekly promo's)

that's it...there's no hidden meaning behind it