UnevenEdge

Fire Force Season 2 Episode 3 "A New Flashpoint" Discussion!!

3 minutes ago, mochi said:

hence my last post XD

I gotta look into this later.  See how much of an uproar there was when this first came out on Funimation Now, and what uproar there will be tonight, haha.  If that was the original line I don't see why Funimation wouldn't change it for the dub, "original intent" be damned.  If they used the term where the sub didn't it would just be madness.

Edited by ben0119

Just now, ben0119 said:

I gotta look into this later.  See how much of an uproar there was when this first came out on Funimation Now, and what uproar there will be tonight.  If that was the original line I don't see why Funimation wouldn't change it for the dub, "original intent" be damned.  If they used the term where the sub didn't it would just be madness.

I'd assume it was the original line....that or some closeted racist is throwing suspicious lines into their dubs and nobody noticed yet the "Don't shoot he isn't Black" line in Super says hi XD

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mochi said:

I'd assume it was the original line....that or some closeted racist is throwing suspicious lines into their dubs and nobody noticed yet the "Don't shoot he isn't Black" line in Super says hi XD

https://ficforce.tumblr.com/post/625391365086478336/so-heres-the-post-that-could-destroy-my/amp

https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/fire-force/episode-3-a-new-flashpoint-796099/comments

I haven't been able to find anything from companies or the author addressing this and surprisingly enough did not see any articles written about it, only stuff written by fans.

Apparently Shinra called Charon a "bombshell gorilla" in the sub.  I don't know what that means or why Funi would change the bombshell to noisy and not the gorilla part.  Some said the "bombshell" part was because of all the explosions he was causing.  People rightly pointed out that Maki is often called a gorilla so it could just be something to refer to Charon's physique and brute strength.  The author probably wasn't aware of the racial connotation?

I am kind of surprised this didn't cause more of a stink.  You would think that it would, especially in this day and age.

If you're reading racism into this, I wonder where you're getting your entertainment. I didn't see this as racist at all, but that's because other uses of "gorilla" in entertainment are not when referring to Black people, as far as I can tell. I believe in one anime, one character called another a completely gross gorilla or something, and they weren't Black. Also, the biggest use of "gorilla" in pop culture I know of is in one episode of the Simpsons, one character remarks that "they shaved a gorilla" when referring to Homer Simpson. Also, the credits on Dennis Miller Live always used to refer to Miller as the "800 pound gorilla"--and of course, he's WHITE!

So, my take on the use of "gorilla" here is that it's not really a racist term, but a reference to his lack of sophistication and/or imposing visage.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/fire-force/episode-27/.161975

Four stars! Too bad we have to wait until December 5th for it to air on Toonami, but more of this, please!

9 hours ago, ben0119 said:

https://ficforce.tumblr.com/post/625391365086478336/so-heres-the-post-that-could-destroy-my/amp

https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/fire-force/episode-3-a-new-flashpoint-796099/comments

I haven't been able to find anything from companies or the author addressing this and surprisingly enough did not see any articles written about it, only stuff written by fans.

Apparently Shinra called Charon a "bombshell gorilla" in the sub.  I don't know what that means or why Funi would change the bombshell to noisy and not the gorilla part.  Some said the "bombshell" part was because of all the explosions he was causing.  People rightly pointed out that Maki is often called a gorilla so it could just be something to refer to Charon's physique and brute strength.  The author probably wasn't aware of the racial connotation?

I am kind of surprised this didn't cause more of a stink.  You would think that it would, especially in this day and age.

people tend to give anime a free pass for doing mildly racist things and I don't fully know they should in every situation....but in this situation it likely just was the author not realizing the connotations

that said.....he actively includes black characters in his mangas.....so I don't know

On 11/22/2020 at 1:45 PM, mochi said:

people tend to give anime a free pass for doing mildly racist things and I don't fully know they should in every situation....but in this situation it likely just was the author not realizing the connotations

that said.....he actively includes black characters in his mangas.....so I don't know

They give anime a pass on that probably because of how much they love anime and also because it comes from a different country and culture.  It also makes a difference if something was done out of genuine ignorance and not knowing any better, or being consciously and actively racist.

I think the author was unaware of the connotations, given Maki gets called that.  I saw someone saying Obi gets called a gorilla too but I don't recall that.  

Actively includes them and also they are drawn normally.

Edited by ben0119

• 1 year later...