UnevenEdge

What happened to broccoli?

mthor

12 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Are you thinking of asparagus? 

No. I have both grown and cooked both, and am well aware of the difference. It's a boomer thing, I guess - back when I was a kid, one used to be able to buy broccoli in spears - the stems weren't quite as thick, and my mother used to get us to eat it by telling us that we were eating trees.

5 hours ago, -Ninja_Jesus- said:

There’s broccoli and broccolini, which are similar but different.

That looks remarkably similar, but according to wiki, it wasn't available in the states until the late 90's; the time period I'm thinking of is the late 60's/early 70's. I don't know; maybe broccoli has been bred to produce more florets at the expense of having thicker, tougher stems.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mthor said:

No. I have both grown and cooked both, and am well aware of the difference. It's a boomer thing, I guess - back when I was a kid, one used to be able to buy broccoli in spears - the stems weren't quite as thick, and my mother used to get us to eat it by telling us that we were eating trees.

That looks remarkably similar, but according to wiki, it wasn't available in the states until the late 90's; the time period I'm thinking of is the late 60's/early 70's. I don't know; maybe broccoli has been bred to produce more florets at the expense of having thicker, tougher stems.

This is probably the case for mass market produce. I sometimes see the spears on cooking shows where the food is sourced by small local places.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...