UnevenEdge

Fire Force's Awkward Fan Service Finally explained

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

i don't know what that editor was thinking....that's one of the worst parts about fire force and he just laughs about it

I mean she's a cute character and all so fanservice is a given..... so why not just do a beach episode instead of "LOL HER CLOTHES FELL OFF" and "LOL HER BOOB FELL INTO HIS HAND!"

• Like 1

I think they're typically too unskilled to prove themselves on their own, so the compensate by getting into a position where they act like they know better than the people writing the stuff they're serving as editor for.

Edited by PokeNirvash
Are you downvoting ME or the idea of editors compensating for their lack of skill by being know-it-all douchebags in general?
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • D'oh 1

7 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

I think they're typically too unskilled to prove themselves on their own, so the compensate by getting into a position where they act like they know better than the people writing the stuff they're acting as editor for.

Western comics are no different admittedly.

• Like 1

That had to have been a fun conversation between Ohkubo and his editor.

Where the editor would insist that the “READERS” would like it more if Tamaki not only had assets, but also had them groped regularly.

“We polled the ‘READERS’ and they said that Tamaki would be their favorite character if she had that thick cake pressed against a guy’s face more often. Think you can get that done, hot shot?”

Ohkubo only told him not to push it when “READERS” started demanding Tamaki foot pics.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the whole interview.

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2020/08/03/interview-weekly-shonen-magazine-editor-details-fire-force-success-working-with-ohkubo-sensei/

I had remembered recently that the Soul Eater manga had a bunch of weird fan service that the anime mostly didn't use, and thought maybe this is why Fire Force suffered.  Because it sticks too close to the manga.  I remember hearing about all kinds of crazy scenes, like one where the zombie guy sees Maka's panties, which he doesn't care/no-sells.  Which I guess is kind of funny, but I can see why they wouldn't use that scene in the anime.  So I definitely just thought the issue was just with the author this whole time.  ...was this editor around back then, too?

I thought it was funny when the editor said they make sure things are easy to understand.  Was all that bullshit with Sho's powers and Shinra's counter supposed to be easy to understand?

• Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 8:34 PM, Daos said:

They're so forced and ridiculous though.

On 8/4/2020 at 2:58 AM, Daos said:

I mean she's a cute character and all so fanservice is a given..... so why not just do a beach episode instead of "LOL HER CLOTHES FELL OFF" and "LOL HER BOOB FELL INTO HIS HAND!"

The whole Lucky Lecher Lure thing is supposed to be funny because of how random and ridiculous it is.  Although it happens so frequently it kind of undermines Tamaki's character.  She couldn't even have a serious battle with that guy in the Nether because the Lucky Lecher Lure happened.

5 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

I had remembered recently that the Soul Eater manga had a bunch of weird fan service that the anime mostly didn't use, and thought maybe this is why Fire Force suffered.  Because it sticks too close to the manga.  I remember hearing about all kinds of crazy scenes, like one where the zombie guy sees Maka's panties, which he doesn't care/no-sells.  Which I guess is kind of funny, but I can see why they wouldn't use that scene in the anime.

Considering the Soul Eater anime was an early evening TV Tokyo series, and Fire Force is late-night Mainichi Broadcasting, I'm not surprised the Soul Eater anime turned out tamer than Fire Force, even with enough fanservice left in for ACTN-era [as] to pass it over the first time.

Oh that makes sense. I haven't followed the Soul Eater manga, but I hear the last arc contains a lot more condensed fanservice that you would usually find in the FIRST issues of Soul Eater, when the story hadn't yet gone into full swing and the characters were only being introduced. So I hate to think what would happen to that last arc if it got a BROTHERHOOD treatment.

On 8/16/2020 at 8:45 AM, PokeNirvash said:

Considering the Soul Eater anime was an early evening TV Tokyo series, and Fire Force is late-night Mainichi Broadcasting, I'm not surprised the Soul Eater anime turned out tamer than Fire Force, even with enough fanservice left in for ACTN-era [as] to pass it over the first time.

That makes enough sense I suppose.  I thought maybe Bones was just trying to make a less awkward viewing experience for the audience. :D

Eh, ASA didn't get it because they were too dumb to, not because of the fan service.

On 8/16/2020 at 11:19 AM, elfie said:

Oh that makes sense. I haven't followed the Soul Eater manga, but I hear the last arc contains a lot more condensed fanservice that you would usually find in the FIRST issues of Soul Eater, when the story hadn't yet gone into full swing and the characters were only being introduced. So I hate to think what would happen to that last arc if it got a BROTHERHOOD treatment.

No, I am talking about the parts of the manga the anime covered.  They cut out a lot of weird fan service apparently.

But given that, and given what you just said about the last arc, oof, and possibly even less credence that we can just blame this all on the editor of Fire Force.  Like I said, unless Okubo had this same pervy editor back then on Soul Eater.

Edited by ben0119