UnevenEdge

RIP Zac Bertschy

Chapinator_X

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/editorial/2020-05-22/zac-bertschy-in-memoriam/.159803

It’s a shell shock to get this news. I expected a lot of the anime blogging/news folks to stay around for a while, but Zac just passed away.

The dude was the easily the face of Anime News Network, acting as the most memorable contributor to both their seasonal Preview Guides and Hey Answerman. He had some hilarious reactions to new anime like KissxSis and Mayo Chiki. His style was abrasive enough that it’d be easy to cheer him on with his take on one show, and aggressively disagree with his take on another show. 

I haven’t kept up with as much of his output on the ANN podcast, but of the contributors to ANN that I can look back and say left a positive, memorable impression on me, it’d have to be Zac. It’ll be difficult to read some of his recent posts on Eizouken because of how much it would tie in to his own personal investment on introducing new, meaningful anime to the states through his output. 

Edited by Chapinator-800
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

His Mayo Chiki reaction was pretty good, especially the "Singapore Constitution" joke. It also probably had something to do with my decision to watch Yuruyuri that season instead.

The Upotte!! first impression was also a great one. I still think of anime existing in a "pre-Upotte" and "post-Upotte" state.

I never listened to ANNCast - I'm not really a podcast kinda guy, despite listening to CSW's and Toonami Faithful's every once in a while - but I'm sure he was great on that too.

I'll admit, I'm more the type of guy to disagree with Zac's opinions than I am to agree on them, being the kind of guy who fears I'll dislike a show that's panned once I know what flaws to look out for, but there's no denying that he put out some great material. My reaction to the news this morning was one of initial shock but quick, solemn understanding that this is indeed what happened.

Here's to hoping the next life treats him well. To quote my ANN thoughts, thank you, Zac, and godspeed.

ANN mourns, Twitter celebrates (at least one portion), /a/ deletes discussion of either variety due to being off-topic, and Sankaku Complex oddly remains indifferent.

Really, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Edited by PokeNirvash

A man who had a positive influence on people died.  I don’t want to speculate why, but it’s to be mourned.  He clearly had a positive influence on a lot of people, be it enjoying his writing or his podcasts.  His life should be celebrated, his death seen as a tragedy.

7 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

(at least the portion you linked does),

Not sure which link this is aimed at, since I don't see any celebration at either link in this thread.  Maybe small celebrations of his life, and some grieving from a close friend, both of which I think are appropriate.

Again, I prove how stupid I am by assuming what's behind a link without clicking it first. I had thought it had something to do with the "Shield Bros and Vic stans", who you would think are the most likely to actually celebrate the happening of something so tragic (because they're detritus), but I guess the "celebration of life" is more accurate to how Twitter at large would react in this case, your link included.

In short, I should really stop digging this hole I've made for myself.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Again, I prove how stupid I am by assuming what's behind a link without clicking it first. I had thought it had something to do with the "Shield Bros and Vic stans", who you would think are the most likely to actually celebrate the happening of something so tragic (because they're detritus), but I guess the "celebration of life" is more accurate to how Twitter at large would react in this case, your link included.

In short, I should really stop digging this hole I've made for myself.

F

I guess it did kinda look that way, huh.  Sorry for the confusion.  I just needed to growl a little because I was angry having read a few (hidden if you don't want to know, which is probably best)

Spoiler

from vic-stans fantasizing that he felt guilty and pedos still nursing a 13 year old grudge for his unyielding stance against them. They even doxxed his financial records.  I had thought the incels celebrating mass murderers had inoculated me from feeling more than disgust at the dregs, but I was wrong.

I was reading through his blog, which is inspiring and hopeful and now so saddening.  I know when you're drowning you can't hear anything but your own demons screaming, even when the voice that could rescue you is your own.

On 5/23/2020 at 3:20 PM, Gina Szanboti said:

I guess it did kinda look that way, huh.  Sorry for the confusion.  I just needed to growl a little because I was angry having read a few (hidden if you don't want to know, which is probably best)

Reveal hidden contents

from vic-stans fantasizing that he felt guilty and pedos still nursing a 13 year old grudge for his unyielding stance against them. They even doxxed his financial records.  I had thought the incels celebrating mass murderers had inoculated me from feeling more than disgust at the dregs, but I was wrong.

I was reading through his blog, which is inspiring and hopeful and now so saddening.  I know when you're drowning you can't hear anything but your own demons screaming, even when the voice that could rescue you is your own.

Vic was innocent. That one guy on here that threatened to kill me told me so. I mean, the guy has a friend training to be a cop.

• Haha 1