UnevenEdge

8 minutes ago, mochi said:

.......... on that note they had to replace Excel's voice in Excel Saga after 10 episodes because the VA lost her voice doing the role

Yep, I remember when that got announced so that she could protect her voice, amazing show but it's true that Excel probably had more lines than multiple shows put together!

12 minutes ago, mochi said:

that's true....but that's because Naruto is the one show they aren't airing "as the dub is produced*

although apparently Viz is actually capable of seamless transition into home dubbing unlike Funi who has had to push this show into months of reruns to catch up

All the Naruto episodes have been dubbed for a couple of years now at least. It's just that it's had a horrible consistent run on cable. Hell the series started on Disney back in 09 two years after it had started airing in Japan in 07. Really we haven't had a new episode of Naruto on tv since 2016. Episode 337 was the last new episode that aired before Toonami reset the block then brought it back later at an earlier arc. We're at episode 298 right now. It'll be 3 years and 5 months at one episode a week before we even get to what would be considered a new aired dubbed episode of naruto. Really I think we should have two episodes a night for a while just to try and burn through it till we get there. Even when we are at episode 337 there are still 163 more episodes plus the movie. So it will be around 6 1/2 years for Naruto to finish at one episode a week. 

3 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

All the Naruto episodes have been dubbed for a couple of years now at least. It's just that it's had a horrible consistent run on cable. Hell the series started on Disney back in 09 two years after it had started airing in Japan in 07. Really we haven't had a new episode of Naruto on tv since 2016. Episode 337 was the last new episode that aired before Toonami reset the block then brought it back later at an earlier arc. We're at episode 298 right now. It'll be 3 years and 5 months at one episode a week before we even get to what would be considered a new aired dubbed episode of naruto. Really I think we should have two episodes a night for a while just to try and burn through it till we get there. Even when we are at episode 337 there are still 163 more episodes plus the movie. So it will be around 6 1/2 years for Naruto to finish at one episode a week. 

I thought Toonami passed the Disney airings a long time ago and Disney never got this far.  So these episodes aren't even new to TV, but just new to Toonami?

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Wait, what?? That's not even close to right! At 202 episodes left, it will be 4 years and change!

Yeah I messed something up with my late night maths. In short when we're at episode 300 in two weeks it'll be 3 years 10 months till naruto ends. 

2 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I thought Toonami passed the Disney airings a long time ago and Disney never got this far.  So these episodes aren't even new to TV, but just new to Toonami?

Toonami airs up to a point then abandons the series and replaces it with something for a while. Then when that show is done they put Naruto back up but not where it left off. So we've been in a shit cycle of the series being set back to one of the early arcs or restarted for years. Episode 337 will be the milestone for cable tv in america since 2016. The series has been dubbed for years though. You can buy the box sets, or find the dub online, it's been finished. It just keeps being treated like a red headed stepchild because the hype around it is gone. Hard to really keep hype that long when they already have the sequel series also airing. 

Or rather HAD the sequel series also airing. It got through episode 64 and then stopped. But Shippuden's run has persisted on Toonami at the glacial pace of one episode a week ever since 2014! You have to admire that kind of dedication considering what the franchise has been through on U.S. TV!

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 5:19 AM, HardcoreHunter said:

Yeah I messed something up with my late night maths. In short when we're at episode 300 in two weeks it'll be 3 years 10 months till naruto ends. 

Toonami airs up to a point then abandons the series and replaces it with something for a while. Then when that show is done they put Naruto back up but not where it left off. So we've been in a shit cycle of the series being set back to one of the early arcs or restarted for years. Episode 337 will be the milestone for cable tv in america since 2016. The series has been dubbed for years though. You can buy the box sets, or find the dub online, it's been finished. It just keeps being treated like a red headed stepchild because the hype around it is gone. Hard to really keep hype that long when they already have the sequel series also airing. 

I don't know what you're talking about, man.  Old Toonami never had Shippuden.  Adult Swim Toonami only licensed Part 1 for a while until they could get Shippuden.  And got it as soon as they were able and they haven't taken it off or gone backwards with the episodes.  I would have remembered if I had to watch any of this crap twice.  They did get rid of part 1 though, and kick Boruto to the curb. 

But yes all the episodes have long been available via streaming and home video.  This isn't really the way for people to follow the series if they are dead set on finishing the story as soon as possible, even in English dubbed anime form.  And I'm certainly not one of them, especially since the story went to crap a good while ago and I read about the ending when the manga ended and it sounded hilariously bad.  I really don't know why Demarco won't at least double up on it.

Yup they already had Boruto airing which gave lots of spoilers to Shippuden.  Though the same thing happened with Dragon Ball and DBZ.  Of course, there was no real easy way to watch all the Dragon Ball eps before Z aired back then.  You were basically stuck with what you got on TV or could easily find at a video store.  And most fans watching Dragon Ball/Z back then would have been new to anime and not know about the black market tape trading or whatever went on back then to see shows before they got officially licensed.

10 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I really don't know why Demarco won't at least double up on it.

+I asked him about it, he says they have lots of ideas for shuffling up the scheduled. Though more Naruto is not one of them.  My guess is that it's either not pulling in ratings because it's old, everyone who's already interested has seen it years ago already; or it's just one of those shows that they're not really fans of. It kinda reminds me of how he said that they don't "hate" isekai series. However at this point would have had to have gone out of their way to avoid the huge number of isekai series and only having SAO being among them. I bet they're seething that Netflix got that anime The Great Pretender because it's the type of music tie in and art style that the Toonami staff jizz their hipster pants over. 

• Thanks 1