UnevenEdge

Food Wars! The Second Plate Episode 12 Discussion

2 minutes ago, mochi said:

she's been an ADV VA for quite a while, I think she's the voice of Lina Inverse in the Slayers movies

she basically sounds exactly like Luci Christian but with a slightly higher more "baby-like" voice

Oh ok.

Hmm that is definitely a good description of her voice lol.

As much as this series hypes up Japanese food, it's actually really bland. The only taste that Japanese seem to enjoy is salt. They hate spicy and sweet things. It's weird at times. Like to think that people could eat mashed red beans and think it's so sweet that it needs an overly bland tasteless bread around it to balance out the sweet, when it's really not all that sweet to begin with. Also spicy food that makes them sweat that is on par with cracked table pepper. The most mild thai curry is still hotter than the hottest Japanese curry. 

1 minute ago, HardcoreHunter said:

As much as this series hypes up Japanese food, it's actually really bland. The only taste that Japanese seem to enjoy is salt. They hate spicy and sweet things. It's weird at times. Like to think that people could eat mashed red beans and think it's so sweet that it needs an overly bland tasteless bread around it to balance out the sweet, when it's really not all that sweet to begin with. Also spicy food that makes them sweat that is on par with cracked table pepper. The most mild thai curry is still hotter than the hottest Japanese curry. 

Bean paste is candy to them.

1 minute ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Japanese cooking in general is very minimalist, though there's regional dishes in japan that aren't as bland....they're just not "popular" with foreigners due to either not smelling great, or looking gross

the "pretty and tasteless" food is what foreigners think of when they hear "japanese food"

Just now, HardcoreHunter said:

kitchen nightmares he has it in both the UK and US. He's much nicer in the UK version though. 

I loved both versions, but the US version went out of its way to find overdramatic dysfunctional morons who would cause a trainwreck for the cameras.

• Like 1

maxresdefault.jpg

I think this is the Erina screenshot I was looking for haha.

20200329_051040.jpg

And here's the other one haha.

I had to take this screenshot myself!  It's a pain to find screenshots these days!  The only site I could find that had any was a tumblr page that wants you to download giant zip files full of screenshots!  I didn't feel like going on the computer so I ended up just watching the episode on Crunchyroll on my phone. 

And I gotta' say, hearing Erina's Japanese voice, there was no reason to give her the valley girl voice in the dub!  You can do snooty without going there!

Oh, and the head chef called Erina a little bitch in his internal monologue! xD

• Like 1

Just now, ben0119 said:

I dunno the Japanese restaurant I always went to for my birthday and other occasions was always great and I wouldn't call it bland.  But I don't know how much it's like the food in Japan.

https://www.nagoyaaustin.com/

It's westernized

Like those fired rolls arent a thing in Japan. The closest you might fight is onigiri which you can't find in america. Duck sauce as well is more of a Chinese condiment. Most of the dishes have too much meat. Only in the west is it normal for one person to eat a 12oz or larger steak by themselves. In Japan a 4oz steak would be the norm.  The majority of meals are things like plants, rice, and tofu.  Aside from  Sushi fish is used sparingly in dishes just enough to flavor stock usually. Its a very odd culture from a food standpoint. 

18 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

kitchen nightmares he has it in both the UK and US. He's much nicer in the UK version though. 

Have you seen his original British show where hes going for the Michelin stars? He is waaay meaner and its not an act. It's not kitchen nightmares.

This is it. It's nuts

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwil4Y-NyNDoAhV4hHIEHeNdB-sQwqsBMAl6BAgPEAk&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dp1X11aLACso&usg=AOvVaw3M1t4G_TuQd6_qL3BfnIa6

Edited by saito34
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Daos said:

I loved both versions, but the US version went out of its way to find overdramatic dysfunctional morons who would cause a trainwreck for the cameras.

Drama makes entertaining TV. There was actually a restaurant in my town that was on the show. They closed down, and the other one went under a new name this year. It was called My Big Fat Greek Gyro. 

24 minutes ago, Daos said:

The British version was a superior show in every way, but both iterations were entertaining as hell