UnevenEdge

Naruto Shippuden Episode 290 Discussion

16 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

If you know me (and I doubt some of you really do), then you know that Toshiyuki Tsuru is one of my favorite anime directors. He may not have the name recognition of Hayao Miyazaki or Hideaki Anno, the impact of Satoshi Kon or Masaaki Yuasa, the cult followings of Shinichiro Watanabe or Kunihiko Ikuhara, or even the extensive repertoires of Seiji Kishi or Akiyuki Shinbo, but his works are among my favorites, even if it's mostly just Gungrave and the fictional work of mine I imagined him directing that's in there. Those that are aware of Tsuru's greatness know him from his involvement in two of the biggest manga-to-anime adaptations of our day, Naruto and Naruto Shippuden. His contributions to the franchise included two of the final episodes of the Land of Waves Arc, part 1 of Gaara vs. Rock Lee, Shikamaru coming to terms with Asuma's death (which was what got me to start keeping a close eye on his industry presence), and the story of how Hinata got her crush on Naruto while defending him against Pain in the present day, not to mention countless opening and ending theme animations, a movie, and an official "greatest hits" AMV. I bring him up now because tonight marks the beginning of a six-part filler arc directed by the man himself, under his current pseudonym of Yasuaki Kurotsu (a double-portmanteau of Yasujiro Ozu and Akira Kurosawa). It was originally going to be a movie, but circumstances led to it being restructured as an anime-original storyline to pad for time in favor of your garden variety Naruto filler. You might not be as excited for it as I am, be it because of your unfamiliarity with Tsuru or your dislike of Naruto and/or its filler material, but you should know that I am PUMPED for this, and if you see me gushing about it over the next month and a half - maybe two or more if the rumor of FLCL nights after the DBZ Kai marathon turn out to be true - just know that my above rundown is the reason why.

4f0ca4a99c82adc701d1c18856708d3a.png

THE POWER ARC
PART 1

Premiering tonight at 2:30 A.M. Only Toonami.

FLCL nights would leave room for a 7th episode at the end, right? We could still get Shippuden after each FLCL rerun from 11:30-2:30.

But that's not happening on April 11th, which means our movie experience won't be six straight weeks.

[damn coronavirus]

2 minutes ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

it's s flashback from before his face got shown like that, i think.

He has the long hair and cloak.  And maybe some slight disfigurement to his face.  Not nearly as much as it's supposed to be though.