UnevenEdge

Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma - Episode 24 Discussion

19 hours ago, rpgamer said:

Y'know, sure there's a lot of dumb and silly and maybe a bit awful about this show. But, the character writing, beneath all the tropes and shit, actually isn't that bad. If you can look past the surface, it really has some good stuff going.

The characters are decent. But I don't feel like the area where this type of show should shine.. the actual jokes and zany situations.... the jokes don't land for me and they're almost always in the same situation. A cooking contest.

Basically the pacing of every episode gets bogged down by an endless over description of every ingredient in a dish and acting as if every cooking technique and ingredient is somehow amazing and groundbreaking. "Carmelized Onions???? IMPOSSIBLE!" That's not an actual line from the show but it may as well be.

It's just a ecchi harem shonen with massive amounts of repetition. People eat food, act like they've never eaten food before and have an orgasm scene. It all just feels like padding to cover up the fact that there's not much to this show.

Edited by Daos
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daos said:

The characters are decent. But I don't feel like the area where this type of show should shine.. the actual jokes and zany situations.... the jokes don't land for me and the and they're almost always in the same situation. A cooking contest.

Basically the pacing of every episode gets bogged down by an endless over description of every ingredient in a dish and acting as if every cooking technique and ingredient is somehow amazing and groundbreaking. "Carmelized Onions???? IMPOSSIBLE!" That's not an actual line from the show but it may as well be.

It's just a ecchi harem shonen with massive amounts of repetition. People eat food, act like they've never eaten food before and have an orgasm scene. It all just feels like padding to cover up the fact that there's not much to this show.

And we got 2.5 more seasons a diss shit!

8 hours ago, elfie said:

And we got 2.5 more seasons a diss shit!

Yuppp. Honestly I prefer SAO to this.

I think it tries to straddle 5 genres... ecchi, slice of life, harem, comedy and shonen. It does none of them very well.

11 hours ago, Daos said:

The characters are decent.

This is enough for me to favor this show over SAO. Yeah, everything else about the show is kinda bad. But at least I don't actively hate the main character. or most of the side characters. Some. A few. Point is, I've kinda enjoyed how each of their little quirks has shown through. I think what really sealed the deal for me was Zenji. Even the pathetic loser was able to demonstrate that he does actually have some skills. Maybe probably still doesn't belong at the school. But it was pleasant to see he's still talented in his own way.

It wasn't the worst thing Toonami has aired. It was far from great. But it was watchable, if forgettable.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

This is enough for me to favor this show over SAO. Yeah, everything else about the show is kinda bad. But at least I don't actively hate the main character. or most of the side characters. Some. A few. Point is, I've kinda enjoyed how each of their little quirks has shown through. I think what really sealed the deal for me was Zenji. Even the pathetic loser was able to demonstrate that he does actually have some skills. Maybe probably still doesn't belong at the school. But it was pleasant to see he's still talented in his own way.

It wasn't the worst thing Toonami has aired. It was far from great. But it was watchable, if forgettable.

Well my main issue is unlike other terrible shows like Dimension W and Tokyo Ghoul... this thing has a gazillion episodes =P

• Haha 1

The benefit of going into shows blind. I'd probably agree on that point. It's definitely not something that needs to go on forever. I mean, it is also clearly designed to go on forever. But it shouldn't.

But, this is why I prefer not knowing too much about the shows coming here, and just judging on what's presented.

2 hours ago, Daos said:

Also... in SAO's favor... have you seen Asuna's ass? This isn't fan art this ass is canon.

tumblr_ox0ia2HFtc1vz54q7o5_r1_500.gif

Isn't this in Episode 15 of SAO II? There was one especially provocative scene in that episode where she was holding her hand right in front of her vajayjay, but I'm not sure if I remember this...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Isn't this in Episode 15 of SAO II? There was one especially provocative scene in that episode where she was holding her hand right in front of her vajayjay, but I'm not sure if I remember this...

I think its from Ordinal Scale.