UnevenEdge

My Hero Academia Episode #71 (408) Discussion

Just now, elfie said:

I suppose it's more dependent on my mood.

I don't believe anything will happen between them, but the "he's the sun" line is used regularly to imply gay couples in anime

whether or not it's followed through on

Just now, DangerMouse said:

On the minor plus side, even though the girls stupidly don't get anything important to do they are at least more likable than usual.

the girls in this show do more than most shonen manga girls.....but still ultimately do nothing

the only anime on the block where the girls actually do shit are Dr. Stone and Black Clover

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mochi said:

I don't believe anything will happen between them, but the "he's the sun" line is used regularly to imply gay couples in anime

whether or not it's followed through on

You mean like how Killua referred to Gon as his 'light'.

He can combine the things he eats?  Nice.

I mean I think these guys are kind of easy to understand.  They are grateful to the Yakuza guy for taking them in after society rejected them and people screwed them over.  I don't know if I would consider them brain-washed either.

Ate the crystals... good move.

1 minute ago, elfie said:

First time I'm hearing that.

Hunter X Hunter used the line too...and while it's never been "confirmed" that Killua loves Gon romantically....the creator frequently complains that he wants to include gay characters in his manga and his publishers won't let him

• Confused 1

Just now, mochi said:

the girls in this show do more than most shonen manga girls.....but still ultimately do nothing

the only anime on the block where the girls actually do shit are Dr. Stone and Black Clover

True.

Yeah Kohaku has a lot of promise. But even with Dr. Stone I'm kinda still waiting for Kohaku to really get to do something again, even though I love her. They keep writing around her needing to be the fighter of the group since her fight with Tsukasa.

Like in the little tournament, they wrote her out since she would have won easily (like she supposedly did in the last one).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

On the minor plus side, even though the girls stupidly don't get anything important to do they are at least more likable than usual.

I was having higher hopes for them this arc given who all was part of the mission... but the girls all just got stuck outside fighting that big guy. -_-

Just now, DangerMouse said:

True.

Yeah Kohaku has a lot of promise. But even with Dr. Stone I'm kinda still waiting for Kohaku to really get to do something again, even though I love her. They keep writing around her needing to be the fighter of the group since her fight with Tsukasa.

Like in the little tournament, they wrote her out since she would have won easily (like she supposedly did in the last one).

basically for that arc she was too OP so they had to bench her

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Don't know why the hell MHA isn't getting reviews anymore, but I thought that episode was a Chimera Kraken-sized load of fun!!!

Well, ON TO DR. STONE, ALREADY IN PROGRESS!!!

Probably due to the holiday break. I'm guessing they'll review it in bundles eventually.

5 hours ago, mochi said:

Tamaki's opening monologue was very gay but this is an anime for boys where trans characters are depicted as ugly freaks so we know that means nothing XD

I was going to say, Mochi, don't get your hopes up lmao.

I still can't believe those were meant to be trans characters. x_x

5 hours ago, mochi said:

MHA is really quite generic and clichee'd actually....it's really done nothing new or unique

Isn't that what people had been saying before the show came on Toonami to the people who hadn't seen it?  That it's nothing earth shattering or groundbreaking, but is a well done shonen?  So far I tend to agree, but I am disappointed with the utilization of the women.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Isn't that what people had been saying before the show came on Toonami to the people who hadn't seen it?  That it's nothing earth shattering or groundbreaking, but is a well done shonen?  So far I tend to agree, but I am disappointed with the utilization of the women.

I mean the main 1 A class is tremendous in size, but there are only 6 female students?? And one of em you can't even see??

18 hours ago, mochi said:

Tamaki's opening monologue was very gay but this is an anime for boys where trans characters are depicted as ugly freaks so we know that means nothing XD

Tiger is confirmed to be a transman on his bio page in the manga but I guess he doesn't count since you can't use him to complain.

IzOWn6F.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Tiger is confirmed to be a transman on his bio page in the manga but I guess he doesn't count since you can't use him to complain.

IzOWn6F.png

he's the best (and probably only) example of a queer heroic character in the series....and even his theme is entirely focused on his gender...what with the tutu and all

Magna and her friend were just really not okay

15 minutes ago, Daos said:

What was wrong with Magna? Depicted as being kinda ugly I guess?

So to satisfy you we need anime trans people who are super attractive right =P

Kinda is an understatement...and it's more that no attempt was made at all to make her look like anything other than an "okama" stereotype (I.e. a burly ugly hairy man wearing makeup)

she's basically just Alice from Superjail

Image result for superjail alice

I didn't even realize Magna was supposed to be a transwoman until she died.  She basically just looked like a goofy/ugly kind of [male] character.  I didn't really think much of the character one way or the other.  Then she was killed without fanfare and we find out via MHA wikia this info.  Ok lol.

And I could not find anything on the character just now when I searched.  Apparently her name is actually Magne and not Magna.  Don't know if Funimation changed the spelling or what.  But yeah, it was like she never existed when I looked up My Hero Academia Magna.  A fan character and Black Clover's Magna showed up before that lmao.  People typo-ing manga as magna and google asking me if I really meant manga (no I didn't!) did not help either, lmao.

Edited by ben0119
  • Confused 1

On 1/13/2020 at 9:53 AM, mochi said:

Kinda is an understatement...and it's more that no attempt was made at all to make her look like anything other than an "okama" stereotype (I.e. a burly ugly hairy man wearing makeup)

she's basically just Alice from Superjail

Image result for superjail alice

You are getting confused with Magne's friend that was shown for a few seconds in a flashback.  This character wasn't referenced as far as I could tell on Magne's wikia page, (which took some doing to find due to possible Funi character name spelling change or possible misspelling by us) so I don't have a pic or name, and I'm not going to look further and end up stumbling on spoilers.  I guess somebody could go back to whatever episode that was.  But that is the one who looked liked a bad transvestite.  Magne just looks like a homely dude, with no hints given in the actual story that she's actually a woman, much less a transwoman.  This is gay Dumbledore level lol.

latest?cb=20180313230730

Edited by ben0119

On 1/12/2020 at 11:36 AM, elfie said:

I mean the main 1 A class is tremendous in size, but there are only 6 female students?? And one of em you can't even see??

The class is too big.  I guess the author wanted to make it the size of a typical classroom, but so many of those characters are not needed and barely, if ever, used.  And yeah there are few girls, compared to boys.  But I don't know if any conscious effort is made to make the boy-girl ratio equal in real classrooms, either in Japan, the U.S., or elsewhere, or how it might work in the world in MHA, and how it might differ for hero schools.  But if there were more girls maybe that would just be more wasted girls, like the other wasted guys in the class, like kangaroo boy, tape boy, Dr. Dolittle, sugar guy, etc.  We really need a character guide thread because I can not remember anyone's names, lol.  But, hard to remember the names of characters that never get focused on!  Anyway, it's not saying much, but at least the girls aren't incompetent and weak like in Naruto.  They just don't seem to be given much to do.  I had hopes for this arc, since they were being included in this big mission, but they all got stuck on the outside of the compound fighting a minor henchman.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ben0119 said:

The class is too big.  I guess the author wanted to make it the size of a typical classroom, but so many of those characters are not needed and barely, if ever, used.  And yeah there are few girls, compared to boys.  But I don't know if any conscious effort is made to make the boy-girl ratio equal in real classrooms, either in Japan, the U.S., or elsewhere, or how it might work in the world in MHA, and how it might differ for hero schools.  But if there were more girls maybe that would just be more wasted girls, like the other wasted guys in the class, like kangaroo boy, tape boy, Dr. Dolittle, sugar guy, etc.  We really need a character guide thread because I can not remember anyone's names, lol.  But, hard to remember the names of characters that never get focused on!  Anyway, it's not saying much, but at least the girls aren't incompetent and weak like in Naruto.  They just don't seem to be given much to do.  I had hopes for this arc, since they were being included in this big mission, but they all got stuck on the outside of the compound fighting a minor henchman.

Too big? Believe it or not but that's the size of a regular public school class, as well as any private Japanese high school class.

I agree that not every classmate needs to be there in terms of story relevance. Like that one guy who's name I forgot. And that OTHER guy i can't remember.

13 hours ago, elfie said:

Too big? Believe it or not but that's the size of a regular public school class, as well as any private Japanese high school class.

I agree that not every classmate needs to be there in terms of story relevance. Like that one guy who's name I forgot. And that OTHER guy i can't remember.

Didn't I just say it was probably done because it's the size of a typical classroom?  But there are a lot of differences in the hero school compared to normal schools already, no need to keep the classes that size and make a bunch of unneeded extra characters.

Exactly lmao.