UnevenEdge

Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma - Episode 23 Discussion

3 minutes ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

i never vibe with that sentiment about evry episode being the same

that's like saying every star wars is the same because a someone gets a lightsaber, the force is mentioned, and we see the interior of a spaceship

It would be like Vader fighting Obi Wan.... and then they fight 10 more times during the movie with the exact same result.

You're mistaking cosmetic things like lightsabers for the actual plot. In your example you might as well say Star Wars is the same as food wars because they both have food in them.

That's all this show is. It's the exact same formula multiple times in every single episode. And the jokes just don't land.

Just now, Daos said:

It would be like Vader fighting Obi Wan.... and then they fight 10 more times during the movie with the exact same result.

You're mistaking cosmetic things like lightsabers for the actual plot. In your example you might as well say Star Wars is the same as food wars because they both have food in them.

That's all this show is. It's the exact same formula multiple times in every single episode. And the jokes just don't land.

the food is always different. the reactions are always different. the mental imagery is always different, and what it takes to impress each judge is always different, the personalities of the chefs and of the judges is also different from instance to instance

• Like 2

So all his students have glasses?  That is their defining trait?

Oh hey you finally gave Harry Potter a character!

So that girl with the glasses is his would-be girlfriend and not his sister I guess.

Edited by ben0119
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AnimationFan14 said:

The-Suns-story-about-Kim--001.jpg?width=

Proof that too much of a good thing can be agony...

...which I would think would make some of these food judges go insane after tasting all this incredibly good food!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/food-wars-shokugeki-no-soma/episode-23/.92867

Grade: "C+". Next time, Soma and Akira face-off!

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2020 at 10:09 PM, ben0119 said:

You know it's not just Erina's Valley girl voice, or the southern accents of Megumi's town because Kansai dialect/country bumpkins, which is something that has fallen out of practice in modern dubs for years now, but many of the characters have wacky voices.  Almost like this is a gag dub.  I also highly doubt Sentai even put thet much thought into it or knows what a Kansai dialect is.

that's actually not true...Funi and Sentai *both* still regularly use Texan accents for characters from Osaka, it's just that they remove regional accents from redubs of shows they've license rescued from other companies so they can brag "See our dub is better we don't use accents UwU"

case in point, they removed Nico Robin's Western accent in One Piece....but then gave Jaguar D. Saul one....which means it would've made more sense to keep Robin's western accent...since her entire cowgirl persona as Ms. Allsunday was her copying his aesthetic

Edited by mochi
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2020 at 4:37 PM, mochi said:

that's actually not true...Funi and Sentai *both* still regularly use Texan accents for characters from Osaka, it's just that they remove regional accents from redubs of shows they've license rescued from other companies so they can brag "See our dub is better we don't use accents UwU"

case in point, they removed Nico Robin's Western accent in One Piece....but then gave Jaguar D. Saul one....which means it would've made more sense to keep Robin's western accent...since her entire cowgirl persona as Ms. Allsunday was her copying his aesthetic

I have not heard southern accents in dubs in years until Food Wars and then inexplicably with that Lillian character in Dr. Stone.

Nico Robin isn't meant to be Japanese in ethnicity though, and her island doesn't look like a redneck type of place.  She did have a cowgirl outfit back then, and I have heard people say that was basically the only logic for 4Kidz giving her that accent.  Not sure if Robin has any dialect or accent in Japanese, either.  Oh, Jaguar D. Saul.  I had to look him up to remember who he was.  I didnt realize Robin was copying his look.  I dunno then.