UnevenEdge

Homeless people are the foundation of most nations

Lasty

They’re used to scare people into submission. Better to work yourself to the bone for scraps and deny your brain the opportunity to absorb any constructive patterns mutually exclusive with extensive periods of menial labor than to live like that. 

The necessity of physical productivity must be balanced with psychological, what most would call spiritual work. There are consequences for neglecting either one. Here in America, at least, not many are resourceful or informed enough to make time for this on their own, then they get spoon fed a bunch of bullshit information that is not... uh .... psycho-spiritually nutritious, so to speak. 

It’s almost like we need to do a shift where things are inverted, machines are doing the physical labor and the strict expectation is for people to focus on healing their spirit for a while...

I've only seen homelessness from the outside, but nothing about it looks appealing.

And I'm not advocating for constant working either....But the alternative seems far worse.  

The media isn't scaring me into not being homeless....Homeless people scare me into not being homeless....Carrying all of your possessions when it's 20 degrees outside just seem counterproductive to sanity.

Edited by André Toulon
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, GreatBallsOfJizz said:

I think this is what we're heading for, but I dont think anyone knows what to do or what will happen when machines are doing most work.

cuz people are stupid and dont know how to adapt. obviously we'd need some kind of stimulus plan or we need to provide all basic necessities since machines do everything for us

• D'oh 1

I disagree. Though obviously no one wants to be homeless, their focal point in their lives isn't to not become something, but rather to become something. And the vast majority of people fortunately have stable housing conditions.

It's really all about ones values in life. Not everyone is into "spiritual enlightenment," and I honestly doubt the average homeless man has attained Nirvana. Even Buddha said there's no point to extreme asceticism (i.e. being a poor homeless emaciated man begging for scraps of food), and the middle path between that and hedonism should be sought, as the elimination of suffering is supposedly the most pleasurable life to live. It's all obviously highly subjective.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, André Toulon said:

I've only seen homelessness from the outside, but nothing about it looks appealing.

And I'm not advocating for constant working either....But the alternative seems far worse.  

The media isn't scaring me into not being homeless....Homeless people scare me into not being homeless....Carrting all of your possessions when it's 20 degrees outside just seem counterproductive to sanity.

That was my point. The implication is that it’s better to work for the system than to live like that. By “that” I meant homelessness...

15 minutes ago, bnmjy said:

I disagree. Though obviously no one wants to be homeless, their focal point in their lives isn't to not become something, but rather to become something. And the vast majority of people fortunately have stable housing conditions.

It's really all about ones values in life. Not everyone is into "spiritual enlightenment," and I honestly doubt the average homeless man has attained Nirvana. Even Buddha said there's no point to extreme asceticism (i.e. being a poor homeless emaciated man begging for scraps of food), and the middle path between that and hedonism should be sought, as the elimination of suffering is supposedly the most pleasurable life to live. It's all obviously highly subjective.

I don’t think it is subjective. I did not mean to imply that homelessness = enlightenment, just that homelessness is used to scare people into a position where,  A: it’s harder to achieve (nearly impossible) and B: access to even the benefits of mental practice for laypersons who may not achieve Satori are also severely restricted. It’s sort of like a mob grinder in Minecraft, only more complicated. It’s set up so there are only a limited number of probabilities, which do not include thinking for yourself, not being hooked on instant gratification, etc. 

1 minute ago, Lasty said:

Case and point. Would you still do all that shit if being homeless weren’t all that bad?

Yes. What people fail to realize is that automation is taking away easily repetitive tasks to free up time for more value added items. Progression is a natural part of society and accepting homelessness as an inevitablity is myopic. Rather we need to accept that the job of the future is not the job of now and continue to adapt.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Naraku4656 said:

Yes. What people fail to realize is that automation is taking away easily repetitive tasks to free up time for more value added items. Progression is a natural part of society and accepting homelessness as an inevitablity is myopic. Rather we need to accept that the job of the future is not the job of now and continue to adapt.

I did not mean to imply that homelessness is an inevitability. Jobs are not what people need anymore. If your work isn’t abstract and creative, a machine could do it better than you. There will never be enough of that work to go around. See the problem, here? You’re talking about adapting WITHOUT questioning a ten thousand year old school of thought? :(  Money is obsolete...

There are more and more homeless people every year. Machine automated abundance has generated the excess energy needed to produce a very large population while ironically ensuring those people have no chance to earn money because they were born into a situation where machines are already doing all the work that keeps us alive. Automation is the product of science, which makes their labor the common heritage of all human beings. 

1 hour ago, fuggstop said:

cuz people are stupid and dont know how to adapt. obviously we'd need some kind of stimulus plan or we need to provide all basic necessities since machines do everything for us

I think it's gonna be something along those lines. When we get to a point where about 10 or 20 hours of labor is needed per person providing for basic life is going to be essential. Housing, food, clothes... the problem inherent in that is there's a lot of industry built on them, but if we've got machines building houses who collects the money for the house? The people that own and maintain the machines? Most houses wouldn't be worth more than 10k in materials then (just an estimate, wood and concrete are cheap).

24 minutes ago, Lasty said:

I don’t think it is subjective. I did not mean to imply that homelessness = enlightenment, just that homelessness is used to scare people into a position where,  A: it’s harder to achieve (nearly impossible) and B: access to even the benefits of mental practice for laypersons who may not achieve Satori are also severely restricted. It’s sort of like a mob grinder in Minecraft, only more complicated. It’s set up so there are only a limited number of probabilities, which do not include thinking for yourself, not being hooked on instant gratification, etc. 

Could better education not be suitable enough? Mindfulness is fortunately being promoted nowadays, and many practitioners are from seemingly conflicting schools of belief, like Christianity.

I'm just wondering, do you have any qualms with, let's say, a blond hair blue eyed boy born into a wealthy family, went to a prestigious university, started a billion dollar company, yet takes time off to go on yogi retreats and claims to be spiritually enlightened?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lasty said:

I did not mean to imply that homelessness is an inevitability. Jobs are not what people need anymore. If your work isn’t abstract and creative, a machine could do it better than you. There will never be enough of that work to go around. See the problem, here? You’re talking about adapting WITHOUT questioning a ten thousand year old school of thought? :(  Money is obsolete...

hell @Ginguy probably agrees with me too, even though we don't always see eye to eye on certain things. money's not obsolete, what you're doing to earn money is. make yourself better than a robot

1 hour ago, Naraku4656 said:

hell @Ginguy probably agrees with me too, even though we don't always see eye to eye on certain things. money's not obsolete, what you're doing to earn money is. make yourself better than a robot

No, money is definitely obsolete. XD

Lasty is right. Being homeless is criminalized. Not virtually criminalized, actually criminalized, and people want it that way. It's a management vs workers issue. It's truly liberating to be homeless, but they don't want you to ever feel that. It's absolutely supposed to scare you. If you don't see being jobless as a viable option bc it's too terrifying, then you lose so much leverage in negotiating your terms of employment. The hardcore capitalists here are playing themselves if they don't at least agree to that.

And lasty is right about it putting your mind in a box. When you work too much, you have no time to put in the real mental effort required to understand politics, law, science, philosophy, etc and how it impacts yours and everyone else's lives. Most people work, come home, and then indulge in recreation just to take the edge off working so much. Bonds w/family and friends suffer from it as well.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Poof said:

Lasty is right. Being homeless is criminalized. Not virtually criminalized, actually criminalized, and people want it that way. It's a management vs workers issue. It's truly liberating to be homeless, but they don't want you to ever feel that. It's absolutely supposed to scare you. If you don't see being jobless as a viable option bc it's too terrifying, then you lose so much leverage in negotiating your terms of employment. The hardcore capitalists here are playing themselves if they don't at least agree to that.

And lasty is right about it putting your mind in a box. When you work too much, you have no time to put in the real mental effort required to understand politics, law, science, philosophy, etc and how it impacts yours and everyone else's lives. Most people work, come home, and then indulge in recreation just to take the edge off working so much. Bonds w/family and friends suffer from it as well.

I hear u abt people who work a lot not understanding politics. Whenever im arguing on Facebook and saying this and that about Trump most of his followers never heard abt most of the stuff trump has done...cause they dont have the time to watch the news and when they do its fox news which doesnt even report half of the worst things trump does. They also dont read ...never taken a college philosophy or sociology course...and those people all doing all the voting in this country...the ill informed and undereducated...and its scary.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fuggstop said:

I hear u abt people who work a lot not understanding politics. Whenever im arguing on Facebook and saying this and that about Trump most of his followers never heard abt most of the stuff trump has done...cause they dont have the time to watch the news and when they do its fox news which doesnt even report half of the worst things trump does. They also dont read ...never taken a college philosophy or sociology course...and those people all doing all the voting in this country...the ill informed and undereducated...and its scary.

Everyday I fear for the future of humanity. 

11 hours ago, GreatBallsOfJizz said:

I think it's gonna be something along those lines. When we get to a point where about 10 or 20 hours of labor is needed per person providing for basic life is going to be essential. Housing, food, clothes... the problem inherent in that is there's a lot of industry built on them, but if we've got machines building houses who collects the money for the house? The people that own and maintain the machines? Most houses wouldn't be worth more than 10k in materials then (just an estimate, wood and concrete are cheap).

Machines belong to no one. Operating program, public information. If a house was made, the purpose was for people to have a place to live, not to fucking play monopoly.

6 hours ago, Poof said:

Family bonds help people develop into not shitty people, love in their lives. Modern humans have lost a lot of that. These bonds were stronger, when life was harder, you know...

Edited by Lasty

11 hours ago, bnmjy said:

Could better education not be suitable enough? Mindfulness is fortunately being promoted nowadays, and many practitioners are from seemingly conflicting schools of belief, like Christianity.

I'm just wondering, do you have any qualms with, let's say, a blond hair blue eyed boy born into a wealthy family, went to a prestigious university, started a billion dollar company, yet takes time off to go on yogi retreats and claims to be spiritually enlightened?

Depends on what happened at those retreats and what his and his families values are. What’s the company? Is he grinding billions of babies into a paste so he can cover the earth side of the moon with a baby smoothie? These are important questions.

Edited by Lasty