UnevenEdge

Ghibli says no to streaming their productions, then does about face one day later and gives rights to HBO MAX.

Jman

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-10-16/gkids-studio-ghibli-has-no-plans-to-release-films-on-streaming-services/.152308

And then once he’s out of a position of power they probably pull an immediate about face.

Edit - Or literally a day later.  Well, it’s not TV, it’s HBO.  And Polygon’s credibility goes further down the toilet.

Edited by Jman

6 minutes ago, scope said:

Like they haven't already made millions over the years in the box office, it's not like they're a new company producing in their prime, you're idiots if you think this decision is going to burden Ghibli financially.

I’d compare it to Scorsese going on about true cinema, but The Irishman is going to be on Netflix.  It’s a massive revenue stream turned down in the name of short sighted elitism.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jman said:

I’d compare it to Scorsese going on about true cinema, but The Irishman is going to be on Netflix.  It’s a massive revenue stream turned down in the name of short sighted elitism.

That's only his most recent film, I'm pretty sure Goodfellas doesn't stream anywhere legally and I imagine it still does pretty well and even if it doesn't it's already made him enough, just as I'm expecting is the case with films like Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, you have a point but mine is Ghibli doesn't need it.

But what dramatic difference is there in quality between watching it on a streaming site and buying a basic DVD? Heck, you could even buy a streaming version and put it on a projector more easily than a physical disc copy. Blu-ray’s better, but it’s messed up to not even have a digital HD copy you can buy online when you can still buy a Ghibli DVD for a reasonable price. Makes me wonder what kind of Herculean effort it took to get Miyazaki to agree to sell his movies on VHS/DVD for around $20 or less. 

Edited by imchapp.in

It reminds me of the shitfit Mamuro Nagano (Five Star Stories’ author) threw over his film, Gothicmade.  It came out in 2012, is by all accounts incomprehensible, but he refuses to release it to any home media because it’s meant to be experienced in theaters or some shit.

There comes a point where artistic integrity, that “these films are meant to be seen on the big screen” is short sighted elitism.  

BTW, Goodfellas is a frequent stop on HBO On Demand.

Man.  .... if Toonami was available on a legal streaming service like other movies and shows like HBO MAX, I would DITCH sling.tv. Toonami is the one thing making me hold onto antiquated entertainment. I mean they're under the same umbrella companies that you see put shows on HBO MAX anyway!  Then again, it being a block is what makes Toonami special, so they're gonna have to find a clever way to preserve that.