UnevenEdge

Crunchyroll mines Korean distributor Webtoon for original content as the content wars continue

Jman

No.

Webtoon is also getting a series based on Lord Olympus in collaboration with the Jim Henson Company.

This, only a week after I JUST said that Webtoon is suspicious to me. It's full of comics that are only written squarely to keep you reading, and a lot of the comics come from companies across the other side of the world I never heard of.  Maybe I just have horrible taste.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, elfie said:

No.

Webtoon is also getting a series based on Lord Olympus in collaboration with the Jim Henson Company.

This, only a week after I JUST said that Webtoon is suspicious to me. It's full of comics that are only written squarely to keep you reading, and a lot of the comics come from companies across the other side of the world I never heard of.  Maybe I just have horrible taste.

Well the website is apparently filled with no talent goofy fucks making crap, so yeah, have fun digging through all those turds for maybe...3 gems?  (Gamer, God of High School, and My Wife is a Demon Queen are the ones that get bought up).

• D'oh 2

I read the first chapter of a Webtoon comic once because of a cow kemonomimi girl featured in the ad for it. While the whole "guy unknowingly devastates an island through his actions relating to those of said force" was cool, the "undefeated delinquent fighter" main character was too annoying for me to bother reading past a test-watch. I don't even remember the name of the story now.

Also, isn't Webtoon infamous for some of those jump-scare horror comics?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Well the website is apparently filled with no talent goofy fucks making crap, so yeah, have fun digging through all those turds for maybe...3 gems?  (Gamer, God of High School, and My Wife is a Demon Queen are the ones that get bought up).

And now that they broke through and made it big, that will only make the site/app worse because a ton of crappy artists are going to say "hey! They just got two huge deals in a single week! *i* wanna do that too!".

Edited by elfie

10 hours ago, elfie said:

a lot of the comics come from companies across the other side of the world

Companies?  What are you talking about?  All the ones I've seen seem to be individual creators posting their comics.  If people like the comics and upvote them, they can monetize it. Nothing wrong with that (I have heard some complaints about Webtoons stiffing some of their artists though.  Dunno if there's substance to that though).  I'm following more than a dozen, and only about half are serials.  It's not like it's costing you anything but your time to read them or not.

I like them because they're usually in color and I can tell what's going on in the frames, which is not always or even usually the case with b/w manga.  And the interface is pretty user-friendly for me.

(time to shill for Love Advice from the Great Duke of Hell yet again. :P)

I'd be all in for this if they adapt Girls of the Wild's with a better ending. I still need to read all the racy ones we used to get ads for on these forums.

At the very least, they'll have more production value than the really shitty co-productions of Chinese comics, so I'm all the more cool with it if they're commit to curating some of the better manhua out there.

The most shocking statement from this story though is the knowledge that High Guardian Spice is still being worked on and projected for a 2019 release.

1 hour ago, imchapp.in said:

I'd be all in for this if they adapt Girls of the Wild's with a better ending. I still need to read all the racy ones we used to get ads for on these forums.

At the very least, they'll have more production value than the really shitty co-productions of Chinese comics, so I'm all the more cool with it if they're commit to curating some of the better manhua out there.

The most shocking statement from this story though is the knowledge that High Guardian Spice is still being worked on and projected for a 2019 release.

ANN’s staff are apparently friends with people working on the show (they bought it up as a positive show during the whole Shield Hero kerfuffle).  Because Crunchyroll hasn’t mentioned the damn thing once.

On 10/15/2019 at 3:23 PM, elfie said:

No.

I only started reading Lore Olympus because I kept seeing the fucking ads. 

>.>

Does Jim Henson mean they're going to be puppets like the Dark Crystal because I will vomit lmao

3 hours ago, Vamped said:

I only started reading Lore Olympus because I kept seeing the fucking ads. 

>.>

Does Jim Henson mean they're going to be puppets like the Dark Crystal because I will vomit lmao

Judging by the content of the comic, it seems the series will be a mix of puppetry and human actors.

On 10/16/2019 at 12:19 AM, Gina Szanboti said:

(time to shill for Love Advice from the Great Duke of Hell yet again. :P)

oh i started reading that one and caught up not too long ago! i rly like it too. its kinda funny and wierd lol.

i read a bunch of webtoons. i heard one is even getting a kdrama? true beauty i think is the one. i think theyre fun to read and its free. i like the format its easier to scroll through my phone and read them throughout the day. 

36 minutes ago, Cidz said:

oh i started reading that one and caught up not too long ago! i rly like it too. its kinda funny and wierd lol.

Can't wait for the second season (weird to think of comics with "seasons").  I have to know what happened to the minions!  Are they still seeking the holy feather duster replacement?  And I'm pretty sure the kids' dad is not what he appears to be.  Likewise the old baba who keeps popping up to rant about the meteor (actually a defenestrated flaming couch) that hit.

On 10/24/2019 at 11:15 PM, Gina Szanboti said:

Can't wait for the second season (weird to think of comics with "seasons").  I have to know what happened to the minions!  Are they still seeking the holy feather duster replacement?  And I'm pretty sure the kids' dad is not what he appears to be.  Likewise the old baba who keeps popping up to rant about the meteor (actually a defenestrated flaming couch) that hit.

inorite? the dad is way too chill lol. i cant wait for it to be back bc it left on such a cliffhanger! 

• 3 weeks later...