UnevenEdge

Favorite metal/power ballads

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Power ballad" to my mind means pure, unadulterated cheese, so the choices that come to mind are pretty sappy. I legitimately, completely unironically love this ridiculous song:

Random aren't even a good band. They're totally unremarkable, grade D (D is for "Dad") metal slop. I mean, they were on Metal Enterprises, FFS. But, for some reason, I really like this goofy song.

I also genuinely enjoy Black Sabbath's "Spinal Tap album", Born Again. Especially the closing ballad, "Keep It Warm":

If nothing else, Iommi's familiar (and awesome) 80's skronky, octave fuzz guitar tone is all over the solo, so there's something for the alienated Sabbath fans to find comfort in.

And, if it counts for metal, I'd like to add this syrupy Rainbow fluff piece (seems a lot of people hate this song, but I think it's fantastic. I've lovedit since the 7th grade):

Mhm, also good. Really depends on my mood which of these two songs I'd rather listen to, though. "Catch the Rainbow" is better suited to sitting on the porch and staring up at the moon introspectively, where as "Rainbow Eyes" is better suited to crying alone in your room after watching Watership Down.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Queensryche - Silent Lucidity (The song my mind goes to whenever I think of Power Ballads by metal bands)

Pendulous Skin - Mastodon

Sea of Whispers - Eternal Tears of Sorrow

Angel - Judas Priest (also pretty much every other ballad from Judas Priest)

Remember Tomorrow - Iron Maiden (also pretty much every other ballad from Iron Maiden)

Just to name a few off the top of my head.

• 11 months later...