UnevenEdge

An inspiringly painful email response

Bouvre

Dear Ellie,

First of all, I apologize profusely for the absurdly late reply. Thanks for choosing to submit your work to [redacted]

I read your submission with interest and if we were taking 10-15 books a year, yours probably would have been on the list. Unfortunately, we only take 2-5. But I have a feeling your book will find a home elsewhere soon, if it hasn't already. 

Writing rejection letters really sucks. I'll just say I'm letting this one go to find a better home. How about that? 

Best of luck with this and thanks again! 

Sincerely, 
[Redacted]

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 8/19/2019 at 4:13 PM, Bouvre said:

Dear Ellie,

First of all, I apologize profusely for the absurdly late reply. Thanks for choosing to submit your work to [redacted]

I read your submission with interest and if we were taking 10-15 books a year, yours probably would have been on the list. Unfortunately, we only take 2-5. But I have a feeling your book will find a home elsewhere soon, if it hasn't already. 

Writing rejection letters really sucks. I'll just say I'm letting this one go to find a better home. How about that? 

Best of luck with this and thanks again! 

Sincerely, 
[Redacted]

You see, that's why I prefer "Your book isn't a good fit for us" rejection responses because it's easier to move on. Stuff like in your email can make writers dwell on what they messed up to not quite make the grade.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SorceressPol said:

You see, that's why I prefer "Your book isn't a good fit for us" rejection responses because it's easier to move on. Stuff like in your email can make writers dwell on what they messed up to not quite make the grade.

I dunno, I know this stuff is all subjective, so when I read this I think: "I'm on the right track!"

I see how it can affect others differently though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

I think this is what we call a "I already took the hint after a month of no response, and I already moved on before receiving this unnecessary note"

Oh, it always takes longer than a month to hear a response from small presses. 

Two Dollar Radio states in their submission portal the average wait time is around one year

1 minute ago, Bouvre said:

Two Dollar Radio states in their submission portal the average wait time is around one year

For the record, Two Dollar Radio got back to me about a month back. Also a no, but it was definitely a form rejection. 

30 minutes ago, Bouvre said:

It just reminded me of applying to law school, one of the schools either rejected or waitlisted me but I didn't get the note until after I had already accepted an offer from another school. Figured after a couple months of no reply that it was a no, didn't really need a basically-after-the-fact letter.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bouvre said:

I dunno, I know this stuff is all subjective, so when I read this I think: "I'm on the right track!"

I see how it can affect others differently though.

That's the correct way to think about them, but I've had to do more pep talks after these responses than your classic form rejection.

• Like 1