UnevenEdge

haruhi suzumiya: good, mediocre or overrated?

Phillies

I felt the movie wasn't good, but maybe because I don't care for Nagato as a character. I think the show is entertaining, and it has some importance for the time it came out.  It very much trend-set the style that many anime would follow; much like how many anime emulated Gundam or Evangelion's animation style.  I wouldn't call it overrated because a lot of the fan-hype for it has died out. Still I do remember all of the hype around it back in 06 to 08 and the anime cons etc. 

5 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

I felt the movie wasn't good, but maybe because I don't care for Nagato as a character. I think the show is entertaining, and it has some importance for the time it came out.  It very much trend-set the style that many anime would follow; much like how many anime emulated Gundam or Evangelion's animation style.  I wouldn't call it overrated because a lot of the fan-hype for it has died out. Still I do remember all of the hype around it back in 06 to 08 and the anime cons etc. 

There are 2 movies. What movie are you thinking of?

well, i really enjoyed the original haruhi series and i thought it was a fun watch. i dont think i watched the 2nd one with the endless eight, nor the spin off ones. i did see the dissapearence of haruhi.

so, i dont know do you mean just the first series? or like the whole idk franchise? i would rate the original series better than the rest of the stuff ive seen. 

Just now, Daos said:

What? No, that's a spin off season made from the parallel world from Disappearance.

Everyone's normal and there's no magic powers. It's pure slice of life.

Can I just watch the movie without seeing season 2? I have no desire to see season 2. 

If you've seen S1 you've seen enough to watch the movie. You're missing the endless 8 arc though so it would lessen your understanding of it a little. Just look up a summary for endless 8 so you get the gist of it then watch the movie.

On 6/27/2019 at 5:50 PM, Daos said:

If you've seen S1 you've seen enough to watch the movie. You're missing the endless 8 arc though so it would lessen your understanding of it a little. Just look up a summary for endless 8 so you get the gist of it then watch the movie.

I just watched the first ep of season 2. I had no idea the endless 8 saga would go on for so long. 

just gives me more time to fap to the fashion show I guess.

On 6/27/2019 at 8:08 AM, imchapp.in said:

The first season was great, but nothing will ever top Endless Eight

The best part about Endless Eight was the fact that despite six of the episodes being exact repeats of one another, they were all animated from scratch and directed by different people, making it seem way less lazy than one would initially think based on the hyperbolic reactions people have to them.

I still wish Bang Zoom went full gag dub with iterations 3 through 7. I'd have loved to see what their takes on it with various gimmicks would be. My favorite suggestion from... someplace was that they treat it like an episode of Bleach, with the characters playing their roles. Koizumi as Ichigo, Nagato as Rukia, Mikuru as Orihime, and Haruhi as either Tatsuki or Yoruichi. And Kyon, being voiced by a union VA who was never in Bleach, would be left wondering what the hell they're all talking about.

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

The best part about Endless Eight was the fact that despite six of the episodes being exact repeats of one another, they were all animated from scratch and directed by different people, making it seem way less lazy than one would initially think based on the hyperbolic reactions people have to them.

I still wish Bang Zoom went full gag dub with iterations 3 through 7. I'd have loved to see what their takes on it with various gimmicks would be. My favorite suggestion from... someplace was that they treat it like an episode of Bleach, with the characters playing their roles. Koizumi as Ichigo, Nagato as Rukia, Mikuru as Orihime, and Haruhi as either Tatsuki or Yoruichi. And Kyon, being voiced by a union VA who was never in Bleach, would be left wondering what the hell they're all talking about.

I fapped at least 6 times then... 

or was it 15,000 times???? O_o

Season 1 8/10

Season 2  endless/10 

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya 10/10 (freaking amazing movie) 

The Dissappearance of Nagato Yuki Chan 7.5/10 (an ok spin off had its moments loved them bring the dub cast back for their roles)

Edited by StarPanda

1 hour ago, Phillies said:

this endless 8 thing is a bit excessive. and is making me question season 2's worth. The ending better be good.

I only have 2 more eps to go. 

It drove many to madness. But you'll understand the movie better.

• Haha 1

Just now, Daos said:

It drove many to madness. But you'll understand the movie better.

I watched ep 1-3 on season one. Then when I put season 2 in and saw it went on another 6 episodes I turned blue. 

Not enough interesting stuff happens. I think I remember seeing Nagato hold 8 different bugs, and then Huruhi has 8 different bathing suits, and then finally for the life of me I can't figure out what Asahina is saying when she is crying (see above).
Its really not enough interesting details to keep the views captivated. So basically I'm saying its an epic fail. Lord knows how irritating it must have been to see this played out over 8 weeks on tv O_O

27 minutes ago, Phillies said:

I watched ep 1-3 on season one. Then when I put season 2 in and saw it went on another 6 episodes I turned blue. 

Not enough interesting stuff happens. I think I remember seeing Nagato hold 8 different bugs, and then Huruhi has 8 different bathing suits, and then finally for the life of me I can't figure out what Asahina is saying when she is crying (see above).
Its really not enough interesting details to keep the views captivated. So basically I'm saying its an epic fail. Lord knows how irritating it must have been to see this played out over 8 weeks on tv O_O

But in a way, that boredom and frustration is what you're supposed to feel. Repeating the same events over and over but slightly differently. As a concept it's actually brilliant.

As TV it's pretty boring.

9 hours ago, Phillies said:

and then finally for the life of me I can't figure out what Asahina is saying when she is crying (see above).

I couldn't tell you the specifics, but basically she's saying that she can't return to the future because of the time loop, and his self-censoring some of the information she's blubbering about with "classified information". The point is you can't understand specifically, hence why Itsuki steps in and gives Kyon an "in English, please" explanation.

9 hours ago, Daos said:

But in a way, that boredom and frustration is what you're supposed to feel. Repeating the same events over and over but slightly differently. As a concept it's actually brilliant.

As TV it's pretty boring.

That isn't some deep and weird metaphor for life is it^ O_O