UnevenEdge

How long before self driving cars start racing?

Mix

7 minutes ago, Mix said:

Yeah, you thought delivery drivers, truckers, and cabbies where in trouble.....why pay top notch race car drivers when the car can drive itself?

Fuck, I saw a FB video that answers this very question, but I have no idea what page it was or even which friend shared it and I'm getting no results for it on YT......Sorry, I'm not high enough to go through my activity to see if I commented on it.

Because it would be boring as fuck. Okay so your Boogetty does better than the newest Ferroomroom if everything goes according to plan, but there’s no character. There’s no unique, split decision making like there is with a driver. There aren’t any stakes. People like racing because someone is putting themselves extremely close to death just for the sheer thrill. Not just because car can go fast. 

2 hours ago, cyberbully said:

Fuck, I saw a FB video that answers this very question, but I have no idea what page it was or even which friend shared it and I'm getting no results for it on YT......Sorry, I'm not high enough to go through my activity to see if I commented on it.

There’s actually a pretty good Youtube doc about why Dale Earnhardt’s career was essentially the peak of nascar and it kinda goes along with my post about there being no stakes. It’s too safe now. Plus there isn’t some guy who looks like super Mario bumping cars and battling his inability to complete a specific course. 

4 minutes ago, KreiaDidNothingWrong said:

Because it would be boring as fuck. Okay so your Boogetty does better than the newest Ferroomroom if everything goes according to plan, but there’s no character. There’s no unique, split decision making like there is with a driver. There aren’t any stakes. People like racing because someone is putting themselves extremely close to death just for the sheer thrill. Not just because car can go fast. 

ya think?

I bet they start out with their own divison....cars against cars....the ultimate test of the cars performance without human error....then slowly that becomes the deciding factor for the best super cars on the market....enthusiasts and critics will defer to those races as the ultimate grading system for what is considered "the best"....and little by little, people care less about the races with drivers

9 minutes ago, Mix said:

ya think?

I bet they start out with their own divison....cars against cars....the ultimate test of the cars performance without human error....then slowly that becomes the deciding factor for the best super cars on the market....enthusiasts and critics will defer to those races as the ultimate grading system for what is considered "the best"....and little by little, people care less about the races with drivers

Eh idk. It works for magazine articles but I think the stakes are a huge part of the experience for people. Something like drag racing it might not matter a ton but things like endurance racing and drifting wouldn’t be the same. 

Edited by KreiaDidNothingWrong

5 hours ago, Mix said:

Yeah, you thought delivery drivers, truckers, and cabbies where in trouble.....why pay top notch race car drivers when the car can drive itself?

Dude!

Since there are no drivers we could slap weapons on them all twisted metal style

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 6/19/2019 at 12:45 AM, molarbear said:

Dude!

Since there are no drivers we could slap weapons on them all twisted metal style

Race Car Wars?

I wonder what kind of protective divider/partition thingy they'd use for spectators.