UnevenEdge

How do you feel about ATT?

PhilosipherStoned

As an internet provider in your kneck of the woods? I just switched from suddenlink because they cap, and restrict their data usage here. I'm saving $30 a month, adding direct tv satellite, and avoiding an irritating data cap/allowance so I decided to give it a try. This rep said I could expect 300mbps upload.. I'm weary, but I want to test some other providers.

Pssh that rep was trying to laugh it off like att didn't have a cap. He promised me unlimited data, and mentioned his little (probably essentially worthless generic looking  application form) promised everything in writing.. I mean if I didn't make him add the price of the at&t interweb in there I wouldn't even have that in writing so I will be in test mode. :ph34r:

A terabyte should get me through a month though lol right?

Edited by PhilosipherStoned

34 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

Pssh that rep was trying to laugh it off like att didn't have a cap. He promised me unlimited data, and mentioned his little (probably essentially worthless generic looking  application form) promised everything in writing.. I mean if I didn't make him add the price of the at&t interweb in there I wouldn't even have that in writing so I will be in test mode. :ph34r:

A terabyte should get me through a month though lol right?

a terabyte really is not all that much data anymore. it used to be but now it's really not

4 hours ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

As an internet provider in your kneck of the woods? I just switched from suddenlink because they cap, and restrict their data usage here. I'm saving $30 a month, adding direct tv satellite, and avoiding an irritating data cap/allowance so I decided to give it a try. This rep said I could expect 300mbps upload.. I'm weary, but I want to test some other providers.

1TB (A Terabyte) isn't all that much when you're receiving data at 100Mbps. Trust me, it'll come quick, especially if you're streaming Netflix, Hulu, and/or YouTube all the time. AT&T is kinda shit and fucky as an Internet provider, and this is coming from someone who LITERALLY lives in their backyard (Their world corporate HQ is within eyeshot from my roof). They have FINALLY provided fiber in my area, and we are FINALLY getting close to the speeds we are paying for (which was 100 down, 25 up). We are getting 100 down, 100 up on a good day. It's MUCH faster than what we actually were getting before. They don't guarantee anything when it comes to your Internet. Literally. They don't guarantee you'll get wifi service, they don't guarantee a speed, or even accurate data reporting/measuring. Fuck, they don't even guarantee uptime on service. Fuck, our router is fucking up at least 3--7 times a day. It resets and drops signal for no reason at all, then reconnects shit....or doesn't. It just chooses when it fucking wants to work. I liter Verizon FiOS MUCH better, because they guaranteed 80% speed on the hard line. AT&T just.....doesn't. They promised a lot, and don't fucking deliver enough. Unfortunately, Texas, especially North Texas, is ROYALLY fucked when it comes to Internet service providers, because it is AT&T's backyard. It also won the war when all of the service providers were fucking each other for territory in the early 2000s. They are still having some fuckery when it comes to billing. They bill the apartments or not.....or us....or I don't fucking know.

TL;DR: Verizon is better, AT&T is shit for Internet. Unfortunately, Texas is fucked.

Edited by lupin_bebop
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

Eh.. It was streaming 1080 P movies to my tv that was what kept pushing through 250-300+G a month according to alll my trackers..

Like I said......when you start streaming at 100mbps, 1TB comes quickly. It's not really 1080P content that hits you, it's the YouTube, gaming, music junk, and other stuff. Especially once you start using Hulu and stuff.

If you're doing it via your console (PS4 or the like), your data useage goes down to about 250-300 GB a month, on average, because they way that consoles handle data. They encapsulate the 1080P content in smaller packages than doing it directly to your TV or via your computer.

On 6/14/2019 at 12:55 AM, lupin_bebop said:

Like I said......when you start streaming at 100mbps, 1TB comes quickly. It's not really 1080P content that hits you, it's the YouTube, gaming, music junk, and other stuff. Especially once you start using Hulu and stuff.

If you're doing it via your console (PS4 or the like), your data useage goes down to about 250-300 GB a month, on average, because they way that consoles handle data. They encapsulate the 1080P content in smaller packages than doing it directly to your TV or via your computer.

Yeah letting autoplay run on youtube is another bad habit I've had for a while before I started using movie apps on my tv. I stream using a ps4 as well I don't have a smart tv so that's not the problem. I've started getting into Warframe recently and playing regularly wasn't going to be feasable with the any of the plans suddenlink offered becuase there's a sizeable content update daily of course..but I started running over my data cap before that.  

All I'm saying is streaming movies on top of everything else is the main culprit for me atm. I've done all the other stuff daily at different points and never exceded the original 250 gig monthly data allowance plan I had with suddenlink surprisingly.. though I'd be close enough at the end of a billing cycle to be concerned anyway usually. meh. The bottom line is just that data caps/monthly data allowances are lame as F anyway. I should be getting a dedicated line with at&t also which is another perk. Even though I've never had many issues even at peak traffic hours with suddenlink.

Cat 5. They are supposingly moving to fiber or at least preparing to offer the option here. The tech that activited my box works for AT&T and contracts for Direct Tv on the side. My line from Suddenlink isn't any better though so I'm not going to skip it. The main reason I'm getting Direct TV is to ditch Suddenlink as a provider. If for some reason it doesn;t beat out suddenlink I'll just have to figure something else out. 

32 minutes ago, lupin_bebop said:

Yeah.....it's going to be better than Suddenlink to start.....just be prepared to get fucked by the long money cock of AT&T.

Unless things have changed, Comcast would be worse.  The last time I had them, they raised their rates 4 times in 1 year, because of "Improvements".  The improvements amounted to adding three channels in languages I don't speak and 1 local access channel.

3 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

Unless things have changed, Comcast would be worse.  The last time I had them, they raised their rates 4 times in 1 year, because of "Improvements".  The improvements amounted to adding three channels in languages I don't speak and 1 local access channel.

The rates are supposed to be locked for me for 2 years. I mentioned how suddenlink does things the same way, and since I've been a tech for them I mentioned that all the people I've talked to in admin from Suddenlink say it's mandatory taxes causing the increase in rates from month to month. He said Direc Tv doesn't have the cable taxes.. Sales reps are sales reps though. He probably said that because satellite might be taxed differently, but at&t will probably end up going up on my internet rates if nothing else.

Only time will tell honestly. I went from paying $60 something to over $100 a month for just highly capped and restricted internet with suddenlink so as long as they beat that I'll stay a happy customer. 

4 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

The rates are supposed to be locked for me for 2 years. I mentioned how suddenlink does things the same way, and since I've been a tech for them I mentioned that all the people I've talked to in admin from Suddenlink say it's mandatory taxes causing the increase in rates from month to month. He said Direc Tv doesn't have the cable taxes.. Sales reps are sales reps though. He probably said that because satellite might be taxed differently, but at&t will probably end up going up on my internet rates if nothing else.

Only time will tell honestly. I went from paying $60 something to over $100 a month for just highly capped and restricted internet with suddenlink so as long as they beat that I'll stay a happy customer. 

State & local taxes are a pain, especially in Illinois where they're looking for a way to tax people's heartbeats, but Consumer Reports has long been after all the companies for hidden fees that they claim are gov't mandated, but really aren't.

• Like 1

Uuuuuuuuh welp....for uverse it fucking blows...we recently got fiber from at&t and it’s worlds better....but I’ve had lots of internet providers and I would have to say my favorite was time warner...

i mean let’s face it...they all fucking suck...but time warner let you bring in your own modem and if not, theirs was pretty good. It had a multi tiered system that noticed when one channel was bogging and would split it so that it wouldn’t interfere with other devices using internet...whereas with other providers, I’ve found it incredibly easy to slow service when I’m using all 15 of the WiFi devices in the house

Edited by Majin Mayhem
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Majin Mayhem said:

Uuuuuuuuh welp....for uverse it fucking blows...we recently got fiber from at&t and it’s worlds better....but I’ve had lots of internet providers and I would have to say my favorite was time warner...

i mean let’s face it...they all fucking suck...but time warner let you bring in your own modem and if not, their was pretty good. It had a multi tiered system that noticed when one channel was bogging and would split it so that it wouldn’t interfere with other devices using internet...whereas I’ve found it incredibly easy to slow service when I’m using all 15 of the WiFi devices in the house

Thankfully my wifi device count isnt that high atm I just have like 3 or 4 devices that might be connected at any given moment usually. 

6 hours ago, tsar4 said:

AT&T attempted to do that to us, too. Only....we DON'T have TV.......just Internet.

6 hours ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

The RATE is locked, but they nickel and dime you on fees, taxes, and other bullshit. Especially taxes that don't exist. Like....Texas has a "telecom connection tax" and a "911 tax" on Internet.....even though NEITHER apply.

Yes. That's a state issue not necessarily a provider issue though. I could be wrong, but I doubt Texas is the only state to impose that tax... I mean the purpose of this thread is just to compare data providers. I know all the technical differences between this and that..What I'm saying is it doesn't hinder the ability of the customer to shop, and compare rates in their local area.. That's all I'm trying to do, and that is the purpose of this thread. 

I mean if one provider has some taxes and fees you've found another doesn't in a given area THAT's what I want to know. All this thread is about is comparing the rates of a provider to their services which of course is going to vary across states.