UnevenEdge

Gennndy Tarravotsky makes a new action show for Adult Swim - “Primal.”

Jman

this is from the toonami subreddit and is a quote from Genndy

" Still, he wasn’t thrilled with seeing the show stuffed into Adult Swim’s Toonami animation block, alongside the likes of Japanese hits such as “Dragon Ball Super” and “Ghost in the Shell,” having hoped to see the show receive a different context. “I would’ve liked it to be its own thing,” he said. “The magic of Jack is that it’s unique, there’s not a lot of stuff like it. But OK.”

pretty much it isn't gonna be on toonami because genndy felt Toonami held samurai jack's final season back and kept it from being as big as it could have been had it been on say A Regular weeknight alongside the normal [AS] Lineup

as opposed to being on toonami where it's just another action show on a action heavy block

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

this is from the toonami subreddit and is a quote from Genndy

" Still, he wasn’t thrilled with seeing the show stuffed into Adult Swim’s Toonami animation block, alongside the likes of Japanese hits such as “Dragon Ball Super” and “Ghost in the Shell,” having hoped to see the show receive a different context. “I would’ve liked it to be its own thing,” he said. “The magic of Jack is that it’s unique, there’s not a lot of stuff like it. But OK.”

pretty much it isn't gonna be on toonami because genndy felt Toonami held samurai jack's final season back and kept it from being as big as it could have been had it been on say A Regular weeknight alongside the normal [AS] Lineup

as opposed to being on toonami where it's just another action show on a action heavy block

This is perplexing, considering the only thing [as] airs on weeknights Monday-Thursday is reruns. I can't see a show like PRIMAL taking over the Jellies' current timeslot on Sunday nights, and Fridays would probably be just as disappointing.

Plus, Jack Season 5 DID air on weeknights. It had a Wednesday night timeslot at 10 PM. Of course, the solution is obvious: GIVE TOONAMI a weeknight timeslot!!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Confused 1

I kinda hope going forward, [as] offers some original programming on weeknights. Monday-Thursday have been a wasteland of reruns for FAR too long (though I'll admit I often watch The Boondocks) and it would be better if every night at 10 PM (with a 1:30 repeat) they had something original to offer.

But with Final Space coming soon as well, this might be a reality!

Edited by OwlChemist81

On 5/17/2019 at 8:51 AM, elfie said:

I think I'm so shocked because this is the first time a public showrunner displayed preference for something other than Toonami for his show.

yeah and this just like i said paints toonami as this place people shouldn't want their shows on because it's so obscure and niche in this day and age

• Sad 1

That trailer looks cool.

https://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/samurai-jack-season-5-genndy-tartakovsky-interview-sex-violence-1201888020/

Gotta admit Genndy sounds like a bit of a dick with that comment.  I mean it's not like the people who still cared about Samurai Jack had any issues finding it.

In the same interview, he was also bitter about Lucasfilm doing the CGI Clone Wars, but changed his mind on that at least.  Genndy's Clone Wars series is awesome but the CGI series is great in its own right too.  You couldn't have had the CGI series without Genndy's series.  It's a clear inspiration and direct spiritual successor.  I also thought sequel of sorts but Genndy's series isn't canon anymore for some reason?  Does it conflict somehow with the other series?

He also openly bitches about doing the Hotel Transylvania movies over his own stuff (gotta say I got no indication from the trailers that he made them and they don't interest me AT ALL) and Hollywood not buying any of his original ideas.  I'm sure that will do him wonders.

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1

I love Genndy’s work a lot, but yeah, putting an industry as insular as Western animation on blast where everyone knows everyone and all the people have the same style and play Dungeons and Dragons on the weekend where they can’t help but reference it in every show (as if the rest of the world gives a flying fuck about D&D) is a one way ticket to being blacklisted.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well that's...different!

Perhaps they'll pull an Infinity Train and run a marathon of reruns of the first 4 nights on Friday, October 11th from 10 PM to midnight, then air the finale?

If I'm right and Demon Slayer is coming October 12th, then throw promos for that in, maybe??

Edited by OwlChemist81