UnevenEdge

Love, Death, & Robots (Netflix)

Mix

OMFG I was gonna make a thread about this begging for people to watch(I mentioned it in the what you watching thread)

Sonnies Edge - bad ass action deserving of its own series

3 Robots - funny af

Witness -  left me feeling like holy shit this blew my mind

Shapeshifters - animation was so great couldn't tell it was animated

Good Hunting - I dunno why, I just really liked the story

Big Fish - visually stunning

Zima Blue - also visually stunning and hit me in the feels box 

were among my favorites

I forgot the name of the ep but the one where humans were fighting in mecha was also a mind blowing one cuz I was totally on the human's side until I saw they weren't even on Earth and I was like jfc did I have that pegged wrong, or what?

I just really loved the series - Honorable mention to Aquila Rift as well

Edited by 1pooh4u
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Zima Blue had the biggest impact on me, but they all hit me hard....I haven't been this blown away since I watched Akira and learned about anime...

They all felt complete to me, but yeah, Sonnie's Edge could be a full length movie...I feel like a series would water it down....also Good Hunting

• Like 2

I'm convinced that love death + robots is the best thing on Netflix rn.

Zima Blue gave me lump throat, lol I dunno why, maybe because we are born, we are taught, we self improve, or others "improve" us, always seeking that unobtainable better thing, that thing that will make us perfect and happy, just to see we want the simplicity of our beginnings.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

lol how about the one where the astronaut ripped her own arm off, holy fuck

yeah, I would have just died....

I kept waiting for it to snap like a twig, but the arm still had some give so she really had to wrench it....damn

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, discolemonade said:

i'm on 'sucker of souls' currently. 

this is a visual masterpiece. i mean...so far, i am in love. 

the stories are fantastic. the animation...woooooooooow.

I’m going to check this out. I think it might be recommended for me. 

A few eps of LD+R I honestly couldn’t tell if it was animation and others were just wow 😮 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1pooh4u said:

I’m going to check this out. I think it might be recommended for me. 

A few eps of LD+R I honestly couldn’t tell if it was animation and others were just wow 😮 

this is in LD/R 'sucker of souls' i think you called it shapeshifter.

dracula? dr unearths 'dracula'

'the witness' it was REALLY hard to tell if it was anime or...i mean. really good stuff. 

and 'sonnie's edge' i agree. def. warrants it's own mini series, at least. 

Edited by discolemonade
  • Like 1

Just now, discolemonade said:

shapeshifter is another episode....sucker of souls is the title of the dracula episode

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, discolemonade said:

i'm on 'sucker of souls' currently. 

this is a visual masterpiece. i mean...so far, i am in love. 

the stories are fantastic. the animation...woooooooooow.

Apparently there were different teams around the world animating each episode

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, discolemonade said:

'the witness' it was REALLY hard to tell if it was anime or...i mean. really good stuff. 

and 'sonnie's edge' i agree. def. warrants it's own mini series, at least. 

Oh lol I thought you were watching something else. Sucker of Souls was a good one. I’m a fan of Gary 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Aquila Rift was hard to tell if every character was animated. The “old friend” that boarded the ship looked so real. Amazing stuff 

ok so on some of the more realistic episodes aside from the civilization in the fridge one, they filmed real people doing some of the stuff and layered animation over it....That's why the episodes like 'The Witness' were so visually stunning....it was a head fuck 'cause you couldn't quite place what you were looking at

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mix said:

ok so on some of the more realistic episodes aside from the civilization in the fridge one, they filmed real people doing some of the stuff and layered animation over it....That's why the episodes like 'The Witness' were so visually stunning....it was a head fuck 'cause you couldn't quite place what you were looking at

😮

I’ve seen this technique with inanimate objects in animation but I never noticed it with people before. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, discolemonade said:

'final fantasy' the movie did this as well. 'lucky 13' was very similar in that respect. 

btw...the 'good hunting' was so pleasing. 

and 'zima blue' was beautiful. the actual story sort of reminded me of 'bicentennial man' sort of. 

That’s the thing I love about this series. The stories are really good. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Was that the one with Keanu Reeves?  If so, yes. Trippiest shit I ever saw other than ‘Waking Life’

Yeah....It's hella trippy....though I've actually never watched it sober, so I don't know if it's the movie or the drugs

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, discolemonade said:

'final fantasy' the movie did this as well. 'lucky 13' was very similar in that respect. 

btw...the 'good hunting' was so pleasing. 

and 'zima blue' was beautiful. the actual story sort of reminded me of 'bicentennial man' sort of. 

12 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

That’s the thing I love about this series. The stories are really good. 

So the creators of this series went out and collected all these short stories and animated them....I've been obsessed with the guy who wrote zima blue since I learned this....there's also a whole other list that people are putting in as suggestions for season two....I'm interesting in reading all the stories to see how they hold up on paper

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

lol how about the one where the astronaut ripped her own arm off, holy fuck

ok..ok wait. so all i want to know is...was this covered in satellite repair school?

'if you need to thrust yourself, and have no thrusting power, you have the option of ripping your arm off...'

i mean..if you're already in the mindset that you're going to die...why not just try to space swim back? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, discolemonade said:

ok..ok wait. so all i want to know is...was this covered in satellite repair school?

'if you need to thrust yourself, and have no thrusting power, you have the option of ripping your arm off...'

i mean..if you're already in the mindset that you're going to die...why not just try to space swim back? 

I have no idea. She was out of oxygen and ripping her arm off seemed like a good idea at the time 😆

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Why not both? 🤷‍♀️😆

haha...why not

what I meant to say earlier though was that they layered animation on top of those actors...Keanu Reeves, Robert Downey jr, etc

they've been able to do this for a while....it's just better in this series

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, discolemonade said:

I learned everything I know about the void of space from a Neil Degrace Tyson tweet...

that's my way of saying I don't know....

Though if I was going to ask a question, it would be how the science behind tying off a vacuum sealed suit works

Edited by Mix
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mix said:

haha...why not

what I meant to say earlier though was that they layered animation on top of those actors...Keanu Reeves, Robert Downey jr, etc

they've been able to do this for a while....it's just better in this series

I had no idea they did it like that. I remember the animation being well done but not as realistic as LD+R. Lol when Keanu had that hood that changed his face, total freak out 😆

I dunno if I have a favorite one. I liked Sucker of Souls, Sonnie's Edge, and Good Hunting the  most. I think after Beyond the Aquila Rift I started wondering .... were there going to be titties in every episode?! 

In Sonnie's Edge .... "I've shown you my tits, now you have to trust me right?" 

>.>

I was also wondering if the fucking alien in Beyond the Aquila Rift was eating those people. Like I'm sure its getting something else out of playing around in their memories.

I was probably way way over thinking Good Hunting but I was just trying to figure out why she didn't bash that fat dude's brains in  and rip his dick off as soon as she got her whole robot body? ..... Then also .... why the fuck would you give her this strong ass robot body and expect her not to beat your ass?  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vamped said:

I dunno if I have a favorite one. I liked Sucker of Souls, Sonnie's Edge, and Good Hunting the  most. I think after Beyond the Aquila Rift I started wondering .... were there going to be titties in every episode?! 

>.>

I was also wondering if the fucking alien in Beyond the Aquila Rift was eating those people. Like I'm sure its getting something else out of playing around in their memories.

I was probably way way over thinking Good Hunting but I was just trying to figure out why she didn't bash that fat dude's brains in  and rip his dick off as soon as she got her whole robot body? ..... Then also .... why the fuck would you give her this strong ass robot body and expect her not to beat your ass?  

There were a lot of titties in this show, was very much like Heavy Metal in that way xD

• Like 1

Didn't know there was a thread for this....I've been wanting to talk about this for weeks  but couldn't bring myself to make a thread for it.  So here's the cynic's analysis.

From worst to best (imo)

Alternate Histories- I mean, it was comical but anything that uses Hitler as it's jumpoff just kinda feel hackneyed to me....Better than most shit on TV these days, but definitely bottom tier in an anthology as great as this

Ice Age- It's a story that's been told over countless forms of media and there were no big surprises...Couple that with some wooden live action and I feel I could have went to my own fridge and made a sandwich instead

Fish Night- Eh, While the part with the fish was beautiful, the rest of it looked like a F2P PS3 game....Not to mention the story started nowhere and didn't really take you anywhere from that point. "oops, radiator is shot....Let's talk about how this place was once covered in water and foreshadow the obvious".

When the Yogurt took over- While I appreciate the thinly veiled social commentary, it seemed short and glossed over a lot of details.

Helping Hand- One of the more visually stunning works in the series, and I kept wondering how she was gonna save herself....But ultimately...It was kiiiiiinda boring.

The Dump- I mean it was heavily telegraphed what was going to happen, but it was interesting enough that the old coot stalled the health inspector or whatever long enough for Otto to show up....Like, it's a fucking Junkyard....Where the fuck was Otto anyway?

Zima Blue- Seems to be a crowd favorite here, but I didn't find it that enthralling...Passable but definitely not on the top of my list.

Suits-  I didn't love it and I didn't hate it....It was just a straight down the middle mechs VS bugs story...Nothing notable to really focus on.

Shape Shifters- Excellent CGI, but I'm just a little disappointed in the final fight....I mean I don't know what I expected but I wanted more....Still, from here on out I think I enjoyed the rest of the episodes a lot more.

Blindspot- I really liked this one....I always enjoy where the criminals are viewed as the protagonists....But I have to admit....Despite how dark the rest of the series is.....I totally expected the happy ending.

Sucker of Souls.....While I wasn't a fan of the animation style, I completely loved the conflict with Dracula....The team was mostly fearless....Even in the face of danger the fought it out.  I was really thinking they would find more cats....But nope, more vamps.  

Good Hunting- I really liked this one because it took a direction I didn't expect....While I figured it would be something like the fox chick seeking revenge on the monk dudes, it evolved into what we all saw.  Some Deus Machina shit with sexual assault....Definitely one of the mor satisfying episodes.

The Secret War- This one also had great CGI and would possibly be closer to the top if it hadn't come at the end....By that time I was kinda ready for it to be over, and the Russian army and demon summoning thing reminded me a lot of Hellsing and the Germans.  Lots of action, and the father/son reveal kinda gave it a heart....Not to mention those dudes fighting their hearts out.  Like I said, wish I saw it earlier.

Aquila RIft- Interesting story, and you almost sympathise with the parasite in that it says it cares for it's victims....Not wanting them to see what's actually happening to them....Because it's not gonna stop....BUt if you're going to be devoured...At least enjoy it.  I really wish I could have seen the other 2 crew member's faux worlds.

Lucky 13- Look, I don;t think you can appreciate this one unless you were attached to a vehicle at some point.....It reminded me of how much I loved my Monte Carlo.  I really like how the ship almost seemed alive in that it waited until the enemy was all next to it before the self destruct too effect.

The Witness- titties

Sonnie's Edge- First in the series and it was a complete delight from beginning to end.....Bad ass chick won't fold up for the rich asshole, meets dickhead opponent, kills his shitty monster, collects her bag.  Then the twist.....which then becomes a tweest.....Really, I think I would have put it a bit deeper in the series because every episode had to live up to this one and frankly, it was a tall order to fill.

3 Robots- Fanfuckingtastic.....Despite the trip down Nabraniel lane, the rest of it was just a whimsical look at how someone or something that didn't have the "pleasure" of inhabiting the Earth with humans would see us.....The body hanging in the gym kinda bothered me....Like what happened that day that hanging yourself in gym class was a working solution....I mean it's not like a nuke hit by surprise, so what happened there.  And it confirms what I've always believed...Cats can fucking talk and they are devious as fuck.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Vamped said:

>.>

Beyond the Aquila rift had several layers to it.....I loved it

First, surface level stuff....she wasn't eating them....if you pause you can see his crew mates bodies as well as others strewn about....His crew mates were obviously dead and it appeared like they died when they arrived from what seemed like a crash....He was alive, but heavily malnourished and hairy, so they had been there for a few months now....I've got to assume from the ending that she has been putting him under so his mind could acclimate, but he keeps coming out of it and having those breakdowns, which is understandable...

There wasn't enough information to figure out her motivations, but she seemed to stress that she cared for everyone that arrived at her station.....I doubt it's out of the kindness of her nine hearts or whatever....She probably needs them to be alive and well and mentally stable....I didn't see others of her kind, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it....Maybe she needs other life forms to make more life....maybe she's trapped there like them and wants their help to create a way back to their galaxy....who knows....that's just the surface level stuff...

5 minutes ago, Mix said:

First, surface level stuff....she wasn't eating them....if you pause you can see his crew mates bodies as well as others strewn about....His crew mates were obviously dead and it appeared like they died when they arrived from what seemed like a crash....He was alive, but heavily malnourished and hairy, so they had been there for a few months now....I've got to assume from the ending that she has been putting him under so his mind could acclimate, but he keeps coming out of it and having those breakdowns, which is understandable...

There wasn't enough information to figure out her motivations, but she seemed to stress that she cared for everyone that arrived at her station.....I doubt it's out of the kindness of her nine hearts or whatever....She probably needs them to be alive and well and mentally stable....I didn't see others of her kind, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it....Maybe she needs other life forms to make more life....maybe she's trapped there like them and wants their help to create a way back to their galaxy....who knows....that's just the surface level stuff...

I didnt mean eating them whole. I mean feeding on them. I feel like that one girl they kept trying to wake up saw it for what it was ... so Im curious why she wasnt able to believe the scenario ad easily as he was. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mix said:

I think she was indeed eating them....But not like munching on them....Sucking their life force....The other hanging there to be suckled on later or they were already husks......I dunno.  And since so many ships wind up there, is the parasite (that's what I'm calling it) somehow routing the ships there or is someone on this side feeding it for some reason.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vamped said:

I didnt mean eating them whole. I mean feeding on them. I feel like that one girl they kept trying to wake up saw it for what it was ... so Im curious why she wasnt able to believe the scenario ad easily as he was. 

Alright, I was wrong about there not being others like her....I could see them in the shadows...

So I don't think it was her he was trying to wake up....This was his mind, his long lost friend, his custom made experience to keep him calm and docile....It wouldn't make sense for the spider to bring his crew into it....They would have their own custom made matrix like scenarios....I think him waking her up represents his mind's attempt at brushing away the cobwebs....like she represents a part of his mind that was put under in order for him to accept things as they are and when that part wakes up he's able to think and see more clearly...

Ok, so you believe she was feeding on them in some way that required they stay alive in a dream state....But the way his body looked and the rate of his crew mates' decomposition is weird, no? Those bodies seem like they died on impact while his is just wasting away

14 minutes ago, Sho Minamimoto said:

I think she was indeed eating them....But not like munching on them....Sucking their life force....The other hanging there to be suckled on later or they were already husks......I dunno.  And since so many ships wind up there, is the parasite (that's what I'm calling it) somehow routing the ships there or is someone on this side feeding it for some reason.

I don't believe in coincidences....the ships were ending up here for a reason...there just wasn't enough info 

I still don't buy that she was eating them....it doesn't make sense based on what I saw and it's too pedestrian an outcome for a telepathic space spider who is somehow collecting ships from another galaxy...

Edited by Mix

I didnt really get anything from Zima Blue either. I didnt really like Ice Age. I think I enjoyed watching all of them (except ice age) I just didnt really connect with some of them. I thought Fish Night was dumb. I was all cool with it until that dumb ass decided .... well here we are in the desert experiencing some real trippy shit, why not get naked and get right in the middle of all the shit. What could go wrong?

I think my favorite part from the Witness was .... "you wanna see some pussy" xD

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Vamped said:

I didnt really get anything from Zima Blue either. I didnt really like Ice Age. I think I enjoyed watching all of them (except ice age) I just didnt really connect with some of them. I thought Fish Night was dumb. I was all cool with it until that dumb ass decided .... well here we are in the desert experiencing some real trippy shit, why not get naked and get right in the middle of all the shit. What could go wrong?

I think my favorite part from the Witness was .... "you wanna see some pussy" xD

why is everyone ragging on my man who went swimming/flying with the ghost fish?

I was thinking I would do that mere seconds before I saw him do it....I didn't understand why he took off his clothes and admittedly didn't see the megalodon coming, but hind-sight's 20/20 you judgy mutha-fukkas :P

Edited by Mix
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Mix said:

Alright, I was wrong about there not being others like her....I could see them in the shadows...

So I don't think it was her he was trying to wake up....This was his mind, his long lost friend, his custom made experience to keep him calm and docile....It wouldn't make sense for the spider to bring his crew into it....They would have their own custom made matrix like scenarios....I think him waking her up represents his mind's attempt at brushing away the cobwebs....like she represents a part of his mind that was put under in order for him to accept things as they are and when that part wakes up he's able to think and see more clearly...

Ok, so you believe she was feeding on them in some way that required they stay alive in a dream state....But the way his body looked and the rate of his crew mates' decomposition is weird, no? Those bodies seem like they died on impact while his is just wasting away

>.> I still think it was feeding on them. The whole thing seemed too weird for it to just be helping him bust a few nuts while he starves to death. Im sure the people hanging out of the ships died on impact sure ... but clearly he wasnt the first one it has "cared" for.

8 minutes ago, Mix said:

I was thinking I would do that mere seconds before I saw him do it....I didn't understand why he took off his clothes and admittedly didn't see the megalodon coming, but hind-sight's 20/20 you judgy mutha-fukkas :P

I already knew where that was going. I was good with them on the ground, letting the fish swim through them, no danger there. As soon as he got to the point where he could  actually touch and interact with them I was like .... he's fucking dead, get back in the car and wait for the sun to come up 

adventures in white peopling

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vamped said:

>.> I still think it was feeding on them. The whole thing seemed too weird for it to just be helping him bust a few nuts while he starves to death. Im sure the people hanging out of the ships died on impact sure ... but clearly he wasnt the first one it has "cared" for.

ok....let me go about this another way

It's a giant spider.....the stuff of nightmares....why wouldn't it be eating anything it got it's hands on.....fair enough

So, we'll start there. You're a giant telepathic spider race from another galaxy. Who knows what culture(s) you've cultivated, what your scientific breakthroughs are, how you interact with your surroundings. They weren't on a planet, they were on a space station. It may have looked like hell, but it's alien tech, it's not supposed to be recognizable. So when they approached the first of the newcomers to end up in their space, they were most likely not enthused with how they were received. (presumably with gun fire) So they did what I imagine our governments would do sans telepathy. They started capturing the ships and some didn't survive, but the ones that did, they set about trying to keep them in a docile state in order to learn whatever they could to further their ends. Which, again, isn't food...they were presumably accustomed to eating before we got there...space traveling aliens would be an odd resource to suddenly allocate to the food supply....

24 minutes ago, Vamped said:

I already knew where that was going. I was good with them on the ground, letting the fish swim through them, no danger there. As soon as he got to the point where he could  actually touch and interact with them I was like .... he's fucking dead, get back in the car and wait for the sun to come up 

adventures in white peopling

To be honest I thought he was going to die when they disappeared and he suddenly realized he was a thousand feet in the air over a gorge and pulls a wiley coyote

I'm not interested in discussing the intergalactic spider that was obviously consuming something from its captors.....I will go back to why i disliked Zima Blue.  While the primise itself, a being becoming so advanced that it could no longer find happiness except in completing a task and a job well done, but the fact that this dude managed to stay super famous and relevant of the course of centuries because of distinctly colored shapes. 

I mean I'm no art buff (I mean I like to draw but I mean snooty art) so far be it from me to say what will wow the upper echelon, but his shit was trash if you ask me.....I'm not leaving the planet to see any of the shit I saw in his episode. If anything, I would just like to get close to him and find out how much a lava retardant body hits you for.....Only to find out he's a fucking robot anyway.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mix said:

I don’t get how the megladon was able to eat him but everything else went through him like an illusion. 

Maybe once he took part in the illusion he became part of it?  He no longer had the safety of it not being real?  

1 hour ago, 1pooh4u said:

I don’t get how the megladon was able to eat him but everything else went through him like an illusion. 

Maybe once he took part in the illusion he became part of it?  He no longer had the safety of it not being real?  

Everything passed through them while they were on the ground. The fish were initially unaware that they were there. When the dude climbed up and was able to swim, when he touched the jelly fish it actually reacted to him so he was actually apart of their "reality?". So since he was able to react to, feel, and touch the other fish, it was only inevitable his dumb ass was going to get killed. I think even the old dude was like.... hold up ... you going too far. 

• Like 1