UnevenEdge

Mortal Kombat Appreciation Thread

zombieninjakitten

If you are a fan of Mortal Kombat and played it back on the SNES or on any current console, what is your favorite MK game?  Who is your favorite character? Least favorite?  

I would say my favorite MK game is “Armageddon” on the Xbox 360.  I adore Scorpion and know his every move.  My least favorite character is Raiden and that is only because I can rarely defeat him. lol

Edited by zombieninjakitten

i played it back then when it first came out in the arcades in 92. that game was fire and had us all excited. that said my favorite is a toss up between the first two on the arcades. mk3 and umk3 were great too but i just liked the first two better. i actually stopped playing the games after it went on x box and played a little bit of mk x which i thought was good. dont know if im picking up mk 11 but the previews are looking good. 

Used to love playing MK at the arcades, mostly through MK2 and UMK3. Had some chances to play home versions of other MK titles, but the only ones I owned were MK2 & MK9. 

My main favorite characters were Johnny Cage, Liu Kang, Sindel, Kung Lao, and Sub Zero. The first four because I've been able to do well playing as them and the last guy because he was cool in the 90's. I also like Rain but only cause of the Prince reference.

My least favorite characters are Baraka and Reptile because, with each new installment, they become more and more dopey. Baraka just felt like they deliberately made him and his clones primitive inbreds while Reptile's gradual transformation into a lizardman also made knawing on bones his defining personality trait.

Edited by imchapp.in

On 3/12/2019 at 9:55 AM, midnight said:

The first home consoles it was released on were the SNES and Genesis. Not the NES. The SNES version had slightly better graphics, but was watered down. 

That being said, my favorite character in the series is Reptile. 

Least favorite is Sonya Blade.

Yes, Midnight, that was a fatal typo on my part.  I meant the SNES.  I was typing this and looking at the game Kung Fu.

1 minute ago, zombieninjakitten said:

Yes, Midnight, that was a fatal typo on my part.  I meant the SNES.  I was typing this and looking at the game Kung Fu.

It was not a Flawless Victory, that is for sure. 

But I can understand your dilemma. If you played it on SNES and not Genesis, you were robbed of the better experience.

On 3/14/2019 at 7:45 PM, midnight said:

It was not a Flawless Victory, that is for sure. 

But I can understand your dilemma. If you played it on SNES and not Genesis, you were robbed of the better experience.

Oh, believe me I played 1, 2, and 3 on the Genesis and plan to get another Genesis one day so I can play them again. 🥰

29 minutes ago, zombieninjakitten said:

Oh, believe me I played 1, 2, and 3 on the Genesis and plan to get another Genesis one day so I can play them again. 🥰

It would be nice if they made a Genesis Classic like they did with the NES and SNES. I'd buy one. I loved my Genesis. I loved my NES too. Wasn't the biggest SNES fan though. Mortal Kombat 2 was probably my favorite in the series. Has lots of fun with that game. I had it on both consoles, but preferred the Genesis version.

• 4 weeks later...

With a cast full of demigods, trained martial artists, spies, mercenaries, movie stars, ninjas, emperors and empresses, and cyborgs, I wish they did more to give Baraka or Reptile more personality than just wanting to gnaw at their opponent's bones. It seems like they've been purposefully treated like fodder since MK9, especially Baraka. 

The real answer, however, are the newbies from Mortal Kombat 4. Reiko, Jarek, Fujin, Kai, Shinnok and Quan Chi were incredibly lame. The last two have been making a comeback, but compared to Shang Tsung and Shao Khan, they pale vastly in comparison.

I've been thinking about this lately, but I think Mortal Kombat has to have some of my favorite fantasy elements. Where because it's inspired by a lot of Hong Kong actions movies and East Asian mythology, you get a ton of lore based on mythical deities that rule over several layers of existence from etherial plains to Earth to the underworld as they get into repeated slap-fights with one another over interdimensional conquest under the guise of martial arts tournaments. With its comic book-like take on such stories, you have a cast full of elder gods, Shaolin monks, elemental ninjas, and skilled practitioners in a wide array of martial arts mixed in with the Western-inspired spies, mercenaries, Hollywood actors, and horror movie monsters. It's a mishmash of everything that was seen as awesome for an action movie nerd in 1992, and I couldn't thank Mortal Kombat enough for giving us the universe it has that is often defined by the ultraviolence and moral panic it provided at the time of its initial popularity.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2019 at 8:28 PM, zombieninjakitten said:

Oh, I just assumed it was also released on Xbox One too.  Well, can’t afford a PS4 either. *sigh*

It has been released on both.

Opium just likes the lame PS4. 

I haven't picked up the game yet. Might wait for the Komplete Edition. 

On 4/28/2019 at 2:28 PM, midnight said:

It has been released on both.

Opium just likes the lame PS4. 

I haven't picked up the game yet. Might wait for the Komplete Edition. 

PS4 is better than Xbox and I’d be more than happy to prove it by bouncing your ass off the arena floor and onto a spike

2 hours ago, midnight said:

I bought it on the superior system, Xbox. 

But picked up God of War on PS4 today too. 

I have MKXL on both systems.

Then I have no means to slap ass with you so you're just gonna have to take my word for it

• 2 weeks later...

@zombieninjakitten, I picked up MK 11 a couple of weeks ago and played it for the first time today. The roster is a lot smaller than MK XL. The move sets seem to have been limited. All in all, you aren't missing much. This game is nowhere near as good as the last one. They kept out some good characters. No Reptile, Ermac, Triborg, Shinnok. Sub-Zero looks like a dork. I am not impressed so far. I went through the first training stages and that was enough for me. I am mostly disappointed that Ermac and Reptile are not in the game, as those are two I play a lot. Also, Mileena is not in the game either. 

1 hour ago, LUNI_TUNZ said:

I've been playing MK11 since it came out, and I love it, personally.

Cetrion has to be my favorite new character. She's such a Momma's Girl, but she's so adorable.

I haven't played as her yet. I played as Scorpion, Baraka, and Noob Saibot. Baraka was better in MK2 than he is now. His moves are limited in my opinion. I only played for about a half an hour. I'll give it another shot. 

• 3 weeks later...