UnevenEdge

Toonami General Discussion Thread

ben0119

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case some people don't know, you can buy JoJo Parts 1 and 2 manga on Amazon (Part 3 just started releasing as well), in really nice big hardcover volumes called JoJonium.  I have all 3 Part 1 books and can confirm they're nice as helllll and are bigger than standard manga volumes, page-wise (Part 1 is 3 JoJonium vs 5 books in its original release)

Support JoJo in the west!

• 2 weeks later...

Going forward, I am boycotting the Toonami airing of One Piece and I'm going current with it.  I'll flip over to Velocity, Science, Smithsonian or something, while it is on, then flip back for One Punch Man.  Probably gonna' drop Hiatus pretty soon, too.  Nothing about it is interesting and it seems it will never get to the vaunted "good part".  I waited for the "good part" and the arc was more dull than watching paint dry.  Will watch something else or do something else while it is on.  Ben Completionist Policy - DISCONTINUED INDEFINITELY

It's... felt like a breath of fresh air.... a load off my shoulders, to not watch Hiatus the past few weeks.  Season Recordings for One Piece and Hiatus - HEREBY CANCELED.  If I ever get a Nielsen Diary again, I will make sure to never write on it that I watch those shows so long as I live.

I dropped One Piece on Toonami a while ago.  It makes it a lot easier not having to stay up to watch One Piece if I don't have to.  Though I do need to start watching again soon; I only watched up through the current arc.

Well waiting at this point is stupid.  It's like 80 billion episodes and chapters ahead in Japan, and I really want to see all these future arcs everyone keeps talking about.  After I run out of dub I will just have to tough it out and deal with the sub I guess.  Then on to the manga.  Just like I did with Bleach when it went on hiatus and I watched ahead with a new fan I got into it.  Dietsoda, if anyone remembers her.

Well I mean... as long as you don't drop the series.

But.... are you ok? You seem to be going coo-coo, judging by all these outlandish posts.

You seem to have been enjoying Thriller Bark on Toonami, so this is kinda outta left field... very Jman like.

I mean... I completely understand wanting to fast-forward through the series to be current but... I have a feeling this decision of yours is made by veryyyyyyyyyyy flawed logic. And I can't wait to hear it... :-/

Going forward, I am boycotting the Toonami airing of One Piece and I'm going current with it.  I'll flip over to Velocity, Science, Smithsonian or something, while it is on, then flip back for One Punch Man.  Probably gonna' drop Hiatus pretty soon, too.  Nothing about it is interesting and it seems it will never get to the vaunted "good part".  I waited for the "good part" and the arc was more dull than watching paint dry.  Will watch something else or do something else while it is on.  Ben Completionist Policy - DISCONTINUED INDEFINITELY

It's... felt like a breath of fresh air.... a load off my shoulders, to not watch Hiatus the past few weeks.  Season Recordings for One Piece and Hiatus - HEREBY CANCELED.  If I ever get a Nielsen Diary again, I will make sure to never write on it that I watch those shows so long as I live.

You'd never write in to support One Piece or Hunter if you had a Nielsen Diary? That just seems spiteful.

I'm a bit surprised you are not getting any enjoyment out of Hunter still considering you had the patience for Bleach but I suppose Bleach hooked you early and despite everything the characters remained endearing to you.

I'm glad you aren't dropping One Piece entirely but trying to do everything in your power to get it pulled off Toonami seems rather extreme considering you don't even hate the show. Maybe you should sleep on that for now and decide whether to avoid it on Toonami in a few weeks.

You'd never write in to support One Piece or Hunter if you had a Nielsen Diary? That just seems spiteful.

I'm a bit surprised you are not getting any enjoyment out of Hunter still considering you had the patience for Bleach but I suppose Bleach hooked you early and despite everything the characters remained endearing to you.

I'm glad you aren't dropping One Piece entirely but trying to do everything in your power to get it pulled off Toonami seems rather extreme considering you don't even hate the show. Maybe you should sleep on that for now and decide whether to avoid it on Toonami in a few weeks.

Didn't watch Hiatus the past few weeks.  Deleted the eps off my DVR because it was getting full.  Was going to watch on-demand or video section.  The female on screen interested me somewhat, because she's the first seemingly relevant non-male in this sausage fest of a suckshow so far, but it's too little too late.  The "good part" is fucking Evil Dead 1/Street Fighter The Movie/MK: Annihilation/Street Fighter: Chun Li bad.  It's sooooo dull and boring.  Like do they seriously think we care about glasses guy training that generic boring kid and two brats learning how to use more advanced moves months after we all stopped caring how this world works because they waited too long to explain it and it's not very interesting or creative, clever, or original anyway?  And oh yeah SUCH GREAT FIGHTS HITTING PEOPLE ON THE BACK IN ONE HIT.  Done with that shit show.

Well Moose had me livid with his actions.  Maybe I'll still tune in for the Toonami airing to re-discuss the eps with everyone *mumble grumble*  You know I like my live discussions here... can't get that binging by myself in my cold, dark room...

Well I mean... as long as you don't drop the series.

But.... are you ok? You seem to be going coo-coo, judging by all these outlandish posts.

You seem to have been enjoying Thriller Bark on Toonami, so this is kinda outta left field... very Jman like.

I mean... I completely understand wanting to fast-forward through the series to be current but... I have a feeling this decision of yours is made by veryyyyyyyyyyy flawed logic. And I can't wait to hear it... :-/

After thinking about it I will not drop it on Toonami, but I am still going to go current.  Sick of spoilers and I really really want to see the upcoming stuff.  Can't wait anymore!  Even my patience has limits, you know!  The show is 80 billion chapters and episodes ahead in Japan.  Yeah getting current won't get "close to the end" because this thing will probably go on sixty years or some shit, knowing Oda, haha, but I want to know what comes next, and there's lots of future content just sitting there... taunting me... tempting me.  And like I said... I WILL NO LONGER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT FUCKING SPOILERS!  Also, long-runners like Bleach and One Piece are much better in binge form.  Ever binge through the Bleach manga?  It's a world of difference, not waiting between weeks, suddenly Bleach has KLK pacing LOL! :P

After thinking about it I will not drop it on Toonami, but I am still going to go current.  Sick of spoilers and I really really want to see the upcoming stuff.  Can't wait anymore!  Even my patience has limits, you know!  The show is 80 billion chapters and episodes ahead in Japan.  Yeah getting current won't get "close to the end" because this thing will probably go on sixty years or some shit, knowing Oda, haha, but I want to know what comes next, and there's lots of future content just sitting there... taunting me... tempting me.  And like I said... I WILL NO LONGER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT FUCKING SPOILERS!  Also, long-runners like Bleach and One Piece are much better in binge form.  Ever binge through the Bleach manga?  It's a world of difference, not waiting between weeks, suddenly Bleach has KLK pacing LOL! :P

Haha yeah. FUNINow is a great service . They have all of Fairy Tail currently dubbed on there too. As for OP they have all the way up to before the timeskip. Among Mob Psyco 100 and other great shows. I use it all the time.

Haha yeah. FUNINow is a great service . They have all of Fairy Tail currently dubbed on there too. As for OP they have all the way up to before the timeskip. Among Mob Psyco 100 and other great shows. I use it all the time.

It's so good for so cheap!  Between that, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Netflix, I am pretty golden for "Off-Vindication Away Missions Anime Viewing!" Heh.  God I am going to lightspeed binge through One Piece so hard. >_<

Yeah, watching One Piece weekly is torturous after Thiller Bark is over, and the anime as a whole becomes pretty meh after a certain point compared to the manga. Reading the manga is the best alternative and you'll have at 400 chapters at least if you start at the exact chapter Toonami stopped last week at, 849 and counting if you read from the beginning.

Since I'm not anime-only I can't really relate with the spoilers but I can see from current anime promotional stuff like the mobile game and Film Gold how unfair that is for AOs. I read the manga weekly and personally I think it's easy to avoid getting spoiled but that's just me.

I def understand wanting to watch ahead! Last summer I discovered the show on Toonami and went back and started from episode 1 and got till 397 in about 2 months. The critical point for me was when I got to Luffy vs Rob Lucci in Enes Lobby, which is where Toonami was at. I just had to press on through Thriller Bark and the beggining of the next arc. I haven't gone beyond that because then I did the same thing with Naruto (started on OG episode 1 and am now current with the dub of Shippuden). I still record and rewatch the episodes (you actually get more out of them on a rewatch) on Toonami because I sort of feel like it needs to be there for people who have yet to discover the show. If not fot Toonami, I may have never watched them!

• 3 weeks later...

Good god, I haven't watched Hiatus in weeks, and nothing has fucking happened.  They're still training with that boring teacher and kid with horrible character designs, and we're learning about the fighting mechanics of this world waaaaaaay to late for anyone to care.  Whelp, time to take a break and grab some snacks!

"You and I will fight, Gon, I guarantee it.  It's a promise."  Pffft, no one fights in this show.

Alright, I'm walking away from the TV now!

Remember when I said this show is like 5 minutes of fighting then a 25 minute explanation of the move they just did? Lolz.

I've never seen a show where nothing happens for 40 episodes. This is a first for me.

Hiatus is a fucking trainwreck, isn't it?

I feel like they developed some really good characters and then... forgot to have an actual plot or ya know..... ...  a show.

Don't worry guys I hear it gets good 75 eps in.

I feel like they developed some really good characters and then... forgot to have an actual plot or ya know..... ...  a show.

Don't worry guys I hear it gets good 75 eps in.

Yeah, I legitimately like Kurapika and Leorio, but the show is so mind-numbingly dull, plus they aren't even in this arc.  Somebody said Hiatus is a "slow burn."  To what?  There's not even a flicker.  NOTHING HAS HAPPENED.  And they forget, build up should be interesting, actually good.  But again, I don't sense it even building to anything.  If it is, it's slower than even early Shittuden, because JUST NOW, THIRTY PLUS EPISODES IN, they're explaining the powers and how everything works... via extremely boring characters as slowly as possible, of course.  It's way too little, too late.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Remember when I said this show is like 5 minutes of fighting then a 25 minute explanation of the move they just did? Lolz.

I've never seen a show where nothing happens for 40 episodes. This is a first for me.

And that wasn't even a fight, but a playback recording of a fight.  FFS.

Same here.  As horribly padded and paced as early Shittuden was, things at least happened, maybe one thing, every episode.  But this... good lord.

I don't really like the Heavens Arena arc much, but the upcoming York New City arc is pretty awesome... and it stars Kurapika.

So what you're saying is the people who said this show gets good in 30 episodes were full of crap and it will totally be super awesomely good 50 episodes in!  :D :D :D :D :D

So what you're saying is the people who said this show gets good in 30 episodes were full of crap and it will totally be super awesomely good 50 episodes in!  :D :D :D :D :D

I always thought it never got truly good until York New City (which to me is really awesome), but then I didn't mind the stuff before it either (although the Heavens Arena arc to me is meh).

Why am I not watching Re zero and Mob Psycho? Instead I'm watching HxH and Gundam? EH??

It's almost like they're trying to make Toonami  as shitty as possible.

People keep telling me Re Zero is good, but with no dub.. D: Yeah I've got the Funi subscription but I still haven't watched Mob Psycho and Drifters!  WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!

Stuff has happened in the past 33 episodes, just nothing that's advanced what you believe to be the plot.

[which is bullshit]

What plot?  This show has been Gon Dicks Around And Makes Friends The Show.  Of what did "occur," most was of little interest.  I will grant that the moment Killua had with Illumi was good, but that was followed up by a whole lot of nothing.  There's Kurapika, Leorio, and Hisoka... three decent characters, but they're saddled with, well, being in Hunter x Hunter.  Which means they'll appear sporadically and not have much to do even when they are onscreen.  They're too good for this show, honestly.  Instead of showing them, we must focus on Gon and Killua (and the audience) finally learning how the powers of the show work 30-something episodes in, long after anybody gave a shit, from two characters that are dismally boring and have more boring character designs than background Leaf Village citizens.  Like seriously, how the fuck is that kid a character?  He's such an awful nothing character.  In any other anime, he'd last one episode, if not one scene.  But nope, here, he's a recurring character!

Seriously, more happens to one-off InuYasha "guest stars" than has happened to the characters in this entire show.  Think of that Nobunaga guy, for instance.

And if Togashi was writing InuYasha -

13.jpg

This kid would be in an entire arc, and not just a small part of one episode.

Stuff has happened in the past 33 episodes, just nothing that's advanced what you believe to be the plot.

[which is bullshit]

From a less confrontational POV, you can play the long game with your story, but you need to hook the audience with something, whether it be the character hinting at something or action setpieces that will come into play later.  Hiatus x Hiatus has none of these things. 

From a less confrontational POV, you can play the long game with your story, but you need to hook the audience with something, whether it be the character hinting at something or action setpieces that will come into play later.  Hiatus x Hiatus has none of these things.

Which is everything HxH does, so that statement is entirely incorrect. Two examples of "hooks" we have in this arc is nen and Gon's match with Hisoka. Not only that but in the overbranching story there is Kurapika's vendetta against the Spiders, Hisoka being a double agent, the true Hunter Exam and Ging.