UnevenEdge

New schedule updates: AoT returns at 11:00 p.m. and doubles up on 8/25, while MHA moves to 10:00.

Blatch

Way to go, slugger.

Attack on Titan gets a much better slot for its new season, but might be slightly disadvantaged as the third show on the block. On the other hand... man, they're really trying to make Deku and friends be popular. We'll see if that translates to better ratings, since this show has been shitting the bed relative to DB Super seemingly even by the normal standards.

Objectively, the best part of this schedule will be not having the content warning come on midway through the hour anymore. That's always bugged the shit out of me. ¬¬

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the benefit of those who can't read that crappy colored text:

8/18 Lineup
10:00p - My Hero Academia
10:30p - Dragon Ball Super
11:00p - Attack on Titan
11:30p - FLCL: Progressive
12:00a - Pop Team Epic
12:30a - JoJo Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
1:00a - Hunter x Hunter
1:30a - Black Clover
2:00a - Naruto: Shippuden
2:30a - One-Punch Man
3:00a - Lupin the 3rd
3:30a - Cowboy Bebop

8/25 Lineup
10:00p - My Hero Academia
10:30p - Dragon Ball Super
11:00p - Attack on Titan
11:30p - Attack on Titan
12:00a - Pop Team Epic
12:30a - JoJo Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
1:00a - Hunter x Hunter
1:30a - Black Clover
2:00a - Naruto: Shippuden
2:30a - One-Punch Man
3:00a - Lupin the 3rd
3:30a - Cowboy Bebop

Well, that's interesting. But the first episode of MHA S2 will have already aired the week before, since it seems they're not playing the recap episode. Attack on Titan premieres have never been doubled-up like this, and I doubt it's the last time they will be either. FLCL Alternative will run from 9/8-10/13 in premieres, which means if we get a Halloween weekend marathon on 10/27, if AOT is doubled-up again on 10/20, then there will be a total of 11 episodes out by then. Hmmm, still not enough, I guess.

But maybe that honor will go to MHA, and AOT can't air before 11 PM for some reason. Either way, I'm glad it's getting back its earliest timeslot yet as a permanent fixture for the new season!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

if we get a Halloween weekend marathon on 10/27

there's absolutely no justification for this. i wouldn't put it past them though.

6 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

But maybe that honor will go to MHA, and AOT can't air before 11 PM for some reason.

Attack on Titan can air at 8 pm.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, korosu said:

there's absolutely no justification for this. i wouldn't put it past them though.

Attack on Titan can air at 8 pm.

We don't know that it can. But I would say that MHA and AOT may someday join DBS on weeknights. I believe [as] has wanted to run AOT from the beginning on weeknights ever since they picked it up and with Cleveland gone soon, they may finally get the green light.

Edited by OwlChemist81

1 minute ago, korosu said:

the show's always been TV-14 so unless season 3 has any TV-MA episodes, it can air at 8 pm

I'm pretty sure the first episode (of Season 1) is TV-MA. If it's not, it should be because it is pretty bloody. I doubt it would air at 8 but at least 8:30 or 9. And of course I'm talking on Weeknights after DBS.

3 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I'm pretty sure the first episode (of Season 1) is TV-MA. If it's not, it should be because it is pretty bloody. I doubt it would air at 8 but at least 8:30 or 9. And of course I'm talking on Weeknights after DBS.

TV-14-LV

e86beb228451e8186a7fc03edb1459d7.png

Edited by korosu

Then it's pretty weird that MHA got the 10 PM timeslot. Its 11 PM audience is gonna be hella confused by this move, especially if they don't watch in the next 2 weeks. But Family Guy casuals are gonna tune in to find MHA on TV at 10 on 8/18/18--LOL!

BTW, what was the last show to air at 10 PM on Toonami (in the CN days), anyway?

• Haha 1

MHA is a longrunner so if AoT was at 10 it'd likely be replaced by another short show. Which would be weird. They probably feel if they're gonna try a non-DB show as the first show it's now or never for MHA, and being a longrunner is the only prerequisite.

There are no content limitations once it's 9 pm though, so that's never a factor in any Toonami decisions.

9 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

BTW, what was the last show to air at 10 PM on Toonami (in the CN days), anyway?

Ben 10: Alien Force

• Haha 2

MHA is a long-runner, but it isn't a SUPER long-runner. By the end of this year, it will have fewer episodes than AOT, and in fact at present, it will run out of episodes before Super will. BUT Toonami is positioning themselves very interestingly with this move. They may have missed the boat on dub premieres of seasons 1, 2, and 3, but you can bet they won't for season 4, if such a thing happens. I haven't been keeping up with the current season, but since it started in April, if I'm not mistaken it's is nearing its end?

Even so, an hour of dub premieres at 10 PM would have made more sense if you ask me. But there's now a dub premiere or two languishing in the middle (JoJo and HxH), so what do I know? Anyway, the regular schedule from 9/8/18 going forward breaks down like this: NP, DP, DP, WP, NP (DP 9/29), DP, DP, NP, NP, R, R, R

NP = Network Premiere
DP = Dub Premiere
WP = World Premiere
R = Rerun

SOOOOOOOO, from 9/29-10/13, we'll have 5 dub premieres, 1 world premiere, 3 network premieres, and 3 reruns!

• Like 2

My guess is that this strategy to keep people watching the block longer, since front-loading the block isn't working as well as it used to. After midnight, things are really stable, so this move might remedy the large drops after Super at the front of the block.

MHA will be helped out by having Family Guy (which is still one of their strongest shows) before it. People will tune in to Super regardless as that's still going to be the highest-rated Toonami show, and then AoT benefits from airing right after. Then maybe those people that stayed for AoT will stay for Alternative, PTE, and the rest of the block (at least for the premieres).

It also makes me rethink where they're going to put Boruto, as that seems like it might be more of an anchor for the middle of the block and end up around midnight when PTE ends to try and get more people to stick around even longer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MasterMoltar said:

My guess is that this strategy to keep people watching the block longer, since front-loading the block isn't working as well as it used to. After midnight, things are really stable, so this move might remedy the large drops after Super at the front of the block.

MHA will be helped out by having Family Guy (which is still one of their strongest shows) before it. People will tune in to Super regardless as that's still going to be the highest-rated Toonami show, and then AoT benefits from airing right after. Then maybe those people that stayed for AoT will stay for Alternative, PTE, and the rest of the block (at least for the premieres).

It also makes me rethink where they're going to put Boruto, as that seems like it might be more of an anchor for the middle of the block and end up around midnight when PTE ends to try and get more people to stick around even longer.

Yep, it is looking at this time like Boruto is gonna be a midnight anchor, at least for its first 3 episodes.

This also just in: AOT will only premiere one episode on 8/25, which means the other will be a rerun of the week before:

https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/1025482321556910080

1 hour ago, korosu said:

They didn't do a marathon for the 4th of July this year, so I'd like to believe that they've gotten more sane about planning them. :ph34r:

As for Attack on Titan, it has no TV-MA episodes. The sixth episode of S1 was apparently rated TV-MAV at some point, but they changed it to 14DLV before it aired, like what was done with an episode of Space Dandy. Regardless, they could absolutely air reruns at 8:30 if they wanted to.

• Like 1

Hmmm.

I don't think MHA is good enough to lead off. It reminds me of how they tried to force Uno Pacu to be a thing, and it didn't work.

Toonami could stay at the current 10:30 start and continue to do fine, rotating out some of the older shows at the tail end for newer "classics".

I also suspect that  Boruto is going to be the next Black Clover, leaving them scratching their head as to where to put it when it just doesn't find an audience in the way that Black Clover just didn't find an audience.

Honestly I'd be waiting to see when the anime for Eden's Zero comes out, and try to snatch that up. It would be the kind of long-running shounen that could find a committed and casual audience and do well when Super ends.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, elfie said:

For once.

TOONAMI ISN'T STARTING WITH A DRAGONBALL SHOW!  :o

And you know what that means... We get the full version of THIS every week!

Apologies for the full song link, FUNi doesn't have the TV version of either season 2 OP up.

4 hours ago, Blatch said:

On the other hand... man, they're really trying to make Deku and friends be popular. We'll see if that translates to better ratings, since this show has been shitting the bed relative to DB Super seemingly even by the normal standards.

The drop from MHA to FLCL Progressive reruns is less than the drop from DB Super to MHA, so by that logic, I don't think the move up is that mind-boggling.

Okay this is weird.  On the Discord Toonami chat, Caboose and others "don't think the block is starting with MHA because Super's timeslot hasn't changed", apparently ignoring that the block is not starting with a DB show for the first time in like a few years.

What is it with that place and me having trouble relating to people!?  Is everyone trying to troll me!?

• Haha 1

Interesting change, I think it's actually a good idea. The final countdown to having no Dragonball has started and they need to start trying to find out what kind of shows they can use as their lead show.

I mean, ideally it would be something new, but this is their best lead show atm.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Or maybe they're just ass-stupid. I mean, who in their right mind thinks MHA isn't starting the block in spite of it airing ahead of DB Super on the schedule, just because the latter didn't change timeslots?

People without their frontal lobes, that's who.

Clarified it a bit. I was saying that AoT S3 will double-up now, and that MHA will air at 10 now. But they took "now" as "NOW, now", not "August 18th and August 25th".

Unfortunately I left 150 replies of utter and total confusion in my wake.  As did they, for not being open to other interpretations of what someone means when talking in a platform that only translates 10% of what you mean clearly enough.

I also said they never put any other show at the front of the block after DB Super arrived, when in fact Samurai Jack Season 5 started the block when it premiered at the same time Super was there too.  They expect me to remember and memorize any and all schedules that the block ever had stating it's "easy".  -_-

Edited by elfie
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, elfie said:

Clarified it a bit. I was saying that AoT S3 will double-up now, and that MHA will air at 10 now. But they took "now" as "NOW, now", not "August 18th and August 25th".

Unfortunately I left 150 replies of utter and total confusion in my wake.  As did they, for not being open to other interpretations of what someone means when talking in a platform that only translates 10% of what you mean clearly enough.

I also said they never put any other show at the front of the block after DB Super arrived, when in fact Samurai Jack Season 5 started the block when it premiered at the same time Super was there too.  They expect me to remember and memorize any and all schedules that the block ever had stating it's "easy".  -_-

Did you stumble into some sort of autistic Toonami discord or something?

• Haha 2

Just now, Daos said:

Did you stumble into some sort of autistic Toonami discord or something?

I have no idea.  Discord DOES make it hard to read entire points too because you gotta type in short brief sentences, often incomplete.  So often others don't get the whole picture. 

... if they are, I possibly have to deal with the entire group on the Toonami Faithful Podcast, which i been a huge fan of for years, autistic now??

On 8/3/2018 at 2:27 PM, Blatch said:

Way to go, slugger.

Attack on Titan gets a much better slot for its new season, but might be slightly disadvantaged as the third show on the block. On the other hand... man, they're really trying to make Deku and friends be popular. We'll see if that translates to better ratings, since this show has been shitting the bed relative to DB Super seemingly even by the normal standards.

Objectively, the best part of this schedule will be not having the content warning come on midway through the hour anymore. That's always bugged the shit out of me. ¬¬

No one gives a fuck about ratings, content or viewer-wise.  Just watch the damn shows.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 8/3/2018 at 2:38 PM, J.M. Matthews said:

I'm on Deku's team

Wait what?  They put My Hero Academia first?  I thought for sure Attack on Titan would be first.  Not sure how well this will work.  With Family Guy -> Super it flowed casuals -> casuals.  I'm not sure MHA won't turn them off.  Lol at Pop Team Epic staying put though.

Doesn't make much sense to me, but I think they know it's the new shonen juggernaut and want more eyeballs on it. Otherwise airing years old MHA episodes before brand new AOT is kinda baffling.

Jojo gets saddled after PTE... how the mighty have fallen.

• Like 1

I don't think it's so much that the "mighty have fallen" as that JoJo just has to be the 6th show on the lineup since it's so damn stacked right now. I mean, yes it's after PTE, but only temporarily, and we've got a situation where freaking Boruto is gonna be stuck at Midnight as the 5th show on the lineup, at least temporarily. I'm hoping it will be 4th after FLCL Alternative runs its course and with no more new FLCL coming anytime soon, they won't do something as moronic as to run it as a rerun in the same slot as its premiere after its premiere ends, but I'm not holding my breath. Surely there's room for a Gundam show somewhere in the lineup once Bebop ends, even if we're talking a rerun of Unicorn at 3:30 AM??

Nah, that slot will probably go to a Pop Team Epic rerun after it takes a 3-week absence from the block. But hopefully when FLCL Alternative ends, they'll at least move all the premieres (and possibly what's left of One Punch Man at that point) up a slot so that JoJo is back at Midnight, Hunter x Hunter is at 12:30, Black Clover is at 1, and Shippuden is at 1:30 before FLCL Alternative can either kick off the reruns at 2 or follow OPM at 2:30. And granted, I'm talking AFTER its premiere run here, in October.

Edited by OwlChemist81

So Toonami is finally back to 6 hours, huh?  Truth be told, after the disastrous 2014 I didn't think we would see Toonami be this long again.  

And Super is knocked from the front for MHA?  While I love that Super is no longer the top show, only time will tell if MHA will be up to it.  How have the ratings for MHA been?  I haven't been able to watch Toonami regularly since the beginning of June so I'm kinda behind on this stuff.

• Like 3

On 8/3/2018 at 7:41 PM, PokeNirvash said:

And you know what that means... We get the full version of THIS every week!

Apologies for the full song link, FUNi doesn't have the TV version of either season 2 OP up.

The drop from MHA to FLCL Progressive reruns is less than the drop from DB Super to MHA, so by that logic, I don't think the move up is that mind-boggling.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2018 at 2:32 PM, CaptainStarwind said:

So Toonami is finally back to 6 hours, huh?  Truth be told, after the disastrous 2014 I didn't think we would see Toonami be this long again.  

And Super is knocked from the front for MHA?  While I love that Super is no longer the top show, only time will tell if MHA will be up to it.  How have the ratings for MHA been?  I haven't been able to watch Toonami regularly since the beginning of June so I'm kinda behind on this stuff.

Well it has horrible retention in the 60's, but it draws about 100k more viewers than the next highest show.

On 8/7/2018 at 4:32 PM, CaptainStarwind said:

Sad.

3 hours ago, elfie said:

In 2014 DeMarco said they preferred a shorter block because a longer one was way too much for them to handle in the amount of time they had in their work schedule. I wonder if something changed.

It’s probably no coincidence that Toonami has only gotten 2.5 hours longer with the addition of 3-4 long series and less frequent bumps updates.

The network decides how big Toonami gets and the crew making the packaging just gotta make do with what they’re given.

• Like 2